RIDES FOR 2012?

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Its about that time of year where I used to ask the question 'Where do you want to ride next year?'.
Although I'm no longer AEC, I can say that when I was it was a big help to get suggestions in from the regular riders to shape the following year. It's been another great year for rides so far and I'm sure there are a few more to come, but looking forward to next year, is there any good routes you folks can suggest?

Of course there are the Nationals to factor in, plus a couple of local rides that have become classics such as Kaya's Kildale Kake Run and 3Tribes, but where else can we go?

Personally I would like to find some new stuff that we haven't explored yet. Can anyone make any suggestions?

Ideally something around 20 miles with a pub/cafe at mid distance, but whilst preferable, not essential.

Fire away guys.

2012 rides

two rides already established i would recommend are the hole of horcum and settle to malham for the overall convenience. As for fresh trails and rides i will do some detective work. Dalby! A place i havn't graced with my crashing skills, again, not undescovered but i want to see the 'great forrest'.

Looking forward already.

Was chatting with Chris at the weekend about next years calendar.

Malham needs to be on there.

Would enough attend somewhere like Kielder, Hawes, that large area East of Penrith ?

somewhere different than the bigger places, like Tadcaster ?

Re: 2012 rides

marc two tone":3r6hq0gq said:
two rides already established i would recommend are the hole of horcum and settle to malham for the overall convenience. As for fresh trails and rides i will do some detective work. Dalby! A place i havn't graced with my crashing skills, again, not undescovered but i want to see the 'great forrest'.

Looking forward already.

Will probably hit Dalby later in the year or the beginning of next year when the weather is a bit less kind to the natural trails.
As for the Malham ride, I think we would need to check with the N/W/A to find out if they can fit it in there diary.

I have a few places I think would be good areas to explore, just need to do some more research on them.

FluffyChicken":2j0e12hs said:
Was chatting with Chris at the weekend about next years calendar.

Malham needs to be on there.

Would enough attend somewhere like Kielder, Hawes, that large area East of Penrith ?

somewhere different than the bigger places, like Tadcaster ?

Tadcaster really? are you working for the Tadcaster tourist board :LOL: its some were I,ve never been to Ben, I thought it was just a patchwork of fields around there?

FluffyChicken":2j0e12hs said:
that large area East of Penrith ?

That was one one the areas I was thinking of, great minds an all that ;)

Do we have any one local to this ^^^ area? come on speak up

Good to see that you're already thinking about rides for next year.

Keep in touch regarding proposed dates and hopefully plenty more successful joint ventures with the North West and other areas in the future.

FluffyChicken":1sa07j66 said:
that large area East of Penrith ?

That sounds like the Cross Fell and Milburn Forest area.
I've done a bit of riding up there. The Cross Fell circuit is a real high moorland epic.
It's one of those areas which sits on the edge of two regions so well worth collaborating on that one.

The Hawes and Swaledale areas also have some great riding too.

While it is good repeat some of the tried and tested routes, it would also be good to get some variety and new routes in there too.

Tadcaster? :LOL: :LOL: it has a large brewery that makes shit beer. Can't imagine there would be anything other than field edges to ride around.

East of Penrith has some potential though Ben. Big hills round those parts. Howgills look impressive when scooting up the M6 and maybe worth investigating. North Pennines must have something worthwhile- Arkengarthdale, Upper Teesdale etc.

I'd also like to redo an old 60 mile 2 day route from Sutton Bank to Robin Hoods Bay that we used to do BITD, at some point next year. I'm sure I could find someone to transport our camping gear along the route in the truck, and lift us back to the starting point.

Dr S":x12vdb99 said:
Howgills look impressive when scooting up the M6 and maybe worth investigating.

I was just thinking about the calf & Bowderdale ride in the Howgils, I did this a few years ago, the first hill is a bitch :roll: but the singletrack down is stunning.
Its just the pub is about 3/4 of the way round and usually stopped serving food by the time you get there.
But I wouldn't let that put me off doing it again, as it was such a good day out.

We could always do an early start Vern. Summer months, lovely getting out early when it's all crisp and hazy. We could be riding for 8am. Plenty of time to get to the pub. I could also do a brew and a round of bacon butties in the car park as folk arrive.

How about something in South Yorkshire? Some good oldskool routes around the Penistone, Silkstone area. Nothing too steep either.

Latest posts

Back