Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

RIDES FOR 2012?
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=164896

Author:  Dr S [ Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:23 pm ]
Post subject:  RIDES FOR 2012?

Its about that time of year where I used to ask the question 'Where do you want to ride next year?'.
Although I'm no longer AEC, I can say that when I was it was a big help to get suggestions in from the regular riders to shape the following year. It's been another great year for rides so far and I'm sure there are a few more to come, but looking forward to next year, is there any good routes you folks can suggest?

Of course there are the Nationals to factor in, plus a couple of local rides that have become classics such as Kaya's Kildale Kake Run and 3Tribes, but where else can we go?

Personally I would like to find some new stuff that we haven't explored yet. Can anyone make any suggestions?

Ideally something around 20 miles with a pub/cafe at mid distance, but whilst preferable, not essential.

Fire away guys.

Author:  marc two tone [ Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:47 pm ]
Post subject:  2012 rides

two rides already established i would recommend are the hole of horcum and settle to malham for the overall convenience. As for fresh trails and rides i will do some detective work. Dalby! A place i havn't graced with my crashing skills, again, not undescovered but i want to see the 'great forrest'.

Looking forward already.

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

Was chatting with Chris at the weekend about next years calendar.

Malham needs to be on there.

Would enough attend somewhere like Kielder, Hawes, that large area East of Penrith ?

somewhere different than the bigger places, like Tadcaster ?

Author:  kaya [ Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2012 rides

marc two tone wrote:
two rides already established i would recommend are the hole of horcum and settle to malham for the overall convenience. As for fresh trails and rides i will do some detective work. Dalby! A place i havn't graced with my crashing skills, again, not undescovered but i want to see the 'great forrest'.

Looking forward already.

Will probably hit Dalby later in the year or the beginning of next year when the weather is a bit less kind to the natural trails.
As for the Malham ride, I think we would need to check with the N/W/A to find out if they can fit it in there diary.

I have a few places I think would be good areas to explore, just need to do some more research on them.

Author:  kaya [ Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

FluffyChicken wrote:
Was chatting with Chris at the weekend about next years calendar.

Malham needs to be on there.

Would enough attend somewhere like Kielder, Hawes, that large area East of Penrith ?

somewhere different than the bigger places, like Tadcaster ?

Tadcaster really? are you working for the Tadcaster tourist board :lol: its some were I,ve never been to Ben, I thought it was just a patchwork of fields around there?

FluffyChicken wrote:
that large area East of Penrith ?

That was one one the areas I was thinking of, great minds an all that :wink:

Do we have any one local to this ^^^ area? come on speak up

Author:  drystonepaul [ Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Good to see that you're already thinking about rides for next year.

Keep in touch regarding proposed dates and hopefully plenty more successful joint ventures with the North West and other areas in the future.

Author:  drystonepaul [ Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

FluffyChicken wrote:
that large area East of Penrith ?

That sounds like the Cross Fell and Milburn Forest area.
I've done a bit of riding up there. The Cross Fell circuit is a real high moorland epic.
It's one of those areas which sits on the edge of two regions so well worth collaborating on that one.

The Hawes and Swaledale areas also have some great riding too.

While it is good repeat some of the tried and tested routes, it would also be good to get some variety and new routes in there too.

Author:  Dr S [ Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

Tadcaster? :lol: :lol: it has a large brewery that makes shit beer. Can't imagine there would be anything other than field edges to ride around.

East of Penrith has some potential though Ben. Big hills round those parts. Howgills look impressive when scooting up the M6 and maybe worth investigating. North Pennines must have something worthwhile- Arkengarthdale, Upper Teesdale etc.

I'd also like to redo an old 60 mile 2 day route from Sutton Bank to Robin Hoods Bay that we used to do BITD, at some point next year. I'm sure I could find someone to transport our camping gear along the route in the truck, and lift us back to the starting point.

Author:  kaya [ Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:16 am ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
Howgills look impressive when scooting up the M6 and maybe worth investigating.

I was just thinking about the calf & Bowderdale ride in the Howgils, I did this a few years ago, the first hill is a bitch :roll: but the singletrack down is stunning.
Its just the pub is about 3/4 of the way round and usually stopped serving food by the time you get there.
But I wouldn't let that put me off doing it again, as it was such a good day out.

Author:  Dr S [ Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:28 am ]
Post subject: 

We could always do an early start Vern. Summer months, lovely getting out early when it's all crisp and hazy. We could be riding for 8am. Plenty of time to get to the pub. I could also do a brew and a round of bacon butties in the car park as folk arrive.

How about something in South Yorkshire? Some good oldskool routes around the Penistone, Silkstone area. Nothing too steep either.

Author:  drystonepaul [ Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:49 am ]
Post subject: 

I would've thought that the Howgills are in the North West Area.

Author:  kaya [ Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

drystonepaul wrote:

You sayin we can't do a bit of poachin :wink: :lol:

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

drystonepaul wrote:

Cumbria... didn't stop BDWIII

Tadcaster :( , Masham then ?
:lol:

Author:  chrisv40 [ Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

We definitely need to get a ride sorted in the South Yorkshire area and it would be nice to try some other unexplored areas too.

I would like to include Sherwood Pines as one of our monthly regional events as I think everyone who made the trip enjoyed the ride and meeting up with some of our neighboring area groups.

Marc, Dalby certainly deserves a place on the calendar and as Vern says it would be a good location for January or February when the weather could be playing havoc with the higher moorland routes.

I was going to draw up a draft copy of next years proposed rides but until we know the dates of the national's it seems a waste of time, so lets just keep the ideas coming in and we can sort the dates later on.

Author:  Dr S [ Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:31 am ]
Post subject: 

You could always draw up a provisional list Chris. Getting it down on paper always helps as folk can then see what is what and make suggestions. It gives you a better mental picture too to be able to stagger north/south, saturday/sunday and ride leader duties.

As for Dalby.... Christmas Pudding Run around the holidays has become a tradition and the only time you get to ride with Gil these days. :cry:

Author:  chrisv40 [ Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:01 am ]
Post subject: 

Oh yes the Pudding Run goes without saying but I don't think it would hurt to have another ride up there up either, those who have ridden with Gil know how much off piste stuff there is to explore.

Will draw up a provisional list after the weekend :wink:

Hope to see you all tomorrow and I hope you get everything sorted Si and make it down to the peaks.

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

BUMP I know we have other riders in this vast area.

Author:  giant-one [ Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Been looking at the Howgills over the weekend. By the way it's part of the Yorkshire Dales National Park north west corner anyway.

The ones we were looking at all start from Sedbergh.

Got quite a few routes around Hawes, Arkengarthdale, Swaledale etc that I can put forward?

Also there is a route myself, beavis and brocklanders do that's about 20mile ish around Skipton. Elpedro rode it earlier this year with brock and liked it.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Proposed calender for NE & Yorks regional events 2012

JANUARY -

FEBRUARY -

MARCH - Kaya's Kildale Cake Run

APR -

MAY - The Hell Of Horcum

JUNE - Sherwood Pines

JULY - Settle To Malham

AUGUST -

SEPTEMBER - MR K's Day In The Peaks

OCTOBER -

NOVEMBER -

DECEMBER -

Author:  chrisv40 [ Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

The above is just a quick mock up of what next years calender could look like and I thought we could all add our ideas on what month etc certain rides should be held. The nationals will have to be fitted in their somewhere too preferably with the usual two week break either side of their dates.

Si are you going to lead the Xmas Dalby ride and if so do you want it just after Xmas as usual or shall we drop it into January?

Author:  chrisv40 [ Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

giant-one wrote:
Been looking at the Howgills over the weekend. By the way it's part of the Yorkshire Dales National Park north west corner anyway.

Got quite a few routes around Hawes, Arkengarthdale, Swaledale etc that I can put forward?

Also there is a route myself, beavis and brocklanders do that's about 20mile ish around Skipton. Elpedro rode it earlier this year with brock and liked it.

I don't know the area well myself but if you can have a good route then why don't we give it a go.

Author:  giant-one [ Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

chrisv40 wrote:
giant-one wrote:

I don't know the area well myself but if you can have a good route then why don't we give it a go.

Chris. Will put a couple together and see whats what :wink:

Author:  Dr S [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:03 am ]
Post subject: 

chrisv40 wrote:

Si are you going to lead the Xmas Dalby ride and if so do you want it just after Xmas as usual or shall we drop it into January?

Christmas Hols would be best for me as I have two weeks away from the sweatshop. So nearest sunday to christmas day ideally. I'm happy to lead but thats Gil's patch and I guess he will play 'Dad'.

Just a quicky on the calendar.... BDW will be sometime in early June or late in August. Not sure until I speak to Vern and Ed Orange. Plan was to have it in Snowdonia this year but logistics of doing a recce are a headache. At the moment I think it will return to the NYM but will have a different format.

Have you any thoughts on a round for the National Series this year? How about upgrading 3 tribes?
Big problem with National rounds is the vast numbers turning up. 3 starting points meeting in the middle might help keep the numbers managable? Of course it need re-naming to reflect that it would be open to all rather than the three tribes of NE&Y, NWA and E.Mids.

Si

Author:  kaya [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:37 am ]
Post subject: 

We,ve still the same problem as this year with a National event, We have no AEC so as I understand it that means no National......... unless some one knows any different??

As far as the BDW I don't think the logistics are that bad, Friday "Snowdon" Saturday "The Marin Trail" (yes i know its a trail center but it good :wink: ) and Sunday a bimble along the sea front at colwyn bay for icecreams..........

Just my thoughts........... :roll:

Author:  rienster [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:48 am ]
Post subject: 

Anyone else going for Roubaix in June? :D

Author:  giant-one [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

kaya wrote:
We,ve still the same problem as this year with a National event, We have no AEC so as I understand it that means no National......... unless some one knows any different??

As far as the BDW I don't think the logistics are that bad, Friday "Snowdon" Saturday "The Marin Trail" (yes i know its a trail center but it good :wink: ) and Sunday a bimble along the sea front at colwyn bay for icecreams..........

Just my thoughts........... :roll:

Don't think we really need a recce of the snowdon ride, it's straight up and straight down. Marin trail is well sign posted and I have OS maps of snowdon and trail maps of Marin. :)

I think we will manage :)

Author:  Dr S [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

kaya wrote:

That's between you, Mark and The Guvnor. :wink:

I handed my badge in and there's no going back. Of course I'll always help out suggesting routes and out on the rides, but I think the quality of the rides over the last six months has risen to another higher level. In my mind there is already one very worthy man who should step up to be AEC. :wink:

Author:  chrisv40 [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
kaya wrote:

I handed my badge in and there's no going back. Of course I'll always help out suggesting routes and out on the rides, but I think the quality of the rides over the last six months has risen to another higher level. In my mind there is already one very worthy man who should step up to be AEC. :wink:

Seconded :wink:

Author:  giant-one [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Third that :D

Author:  Dr S [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

My guess then, if we can find an extra deputy to replace Vern, we have a new AEC. Any suggestions? Mark Two Tone? One of the Skipton lads?

Author:  kaya [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
kaya wrote:

WHO??? :roll:

Is this what is known as cyber bullying :lol:

Author:  chrisv40 [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
My guess then, if we can find an extra deputy to replace Vern, we have a new AEC. Any suggestions? Mark Two Tone? One of the Skipton lads?

Marc two tone has the best attendance record of anyone hasnt he?

Perfect imho.

Author:  giant-one [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

Second that for Mark.

We just don't get the chance to ride that much. beavis (Graham) has a young family, myself and the Mrs are expecting our first born at the begining of Dec so thats me out and Edd (Brock) is too busy with work, beer and women to even ride :lol:

Author:  Dr S [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

[tanoy voice]

MarkTwo Tone to reception please. Mark Two Tone to reception please. Thankyou.

[/Tanoy Voice]

Author:  giant-one [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Author:  kaya [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

Back to the rides :lol:

If there are still six Nationals next year, then we need to put on at least eight rides. (we have four Nationals on our borders)
So if we have two up in the north (Northumberland ish) two down south (Chris's area) and the rest in and around the moors and dales. That then will dictate how many rides in what areas.
We also need to decide what time of year the rides should take place, as its no good trying to ride a boggy moor in the depths of winter.

As far as suggestions for the NE/Yorkies round of the Nationals (if we don't use the BDW) how about a moors to shining sea with a fish and chip lunch?

Just a thought.......... :roll:

Author:  Dr S [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well for the north area may I suggest one in the Howgills and one in the Cheviots/Simonside/Rothbury?

BDW will have to stay outside RetroBike from now on. As the organiser i'm no longer covered by RB/BCF insurance.

3 Tribes would be my choice for National Status but its too near to the Peaks Meet. We could use the same concept for a National Ride on the moors though. 3 starting points, group ride, back to where you started. Would make the numbers manageable. We could have 3 AECs leading each with a local to help out ie: Vern with one group, Chris and Gil leading another and the new dep and me leading the third group. Hours riding, meet up for early lunch, few hours all together and then split up again. It would be a good way to handle the numbers without taking the safer 'Trail Centre' option that most areas have plumped for.

Si

Author:  chrisv40 [ Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

Did someone mention fish & chips :lol:

Si that sounds like a plan, just got to decide where we ride now.

The route for the last BDW on the moors seemed very quiet and able to cope with large numbers of riders and has a few possible start points.

Do you think it will be necessary to split into groups with different start points?
The peaks ride ran very efficiently with 56 starters albeit with two groups initially.
We could do the same from the cafe in Goathland and regroup at the first cairn after the long climb?

Author:  Dr S [ Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:16 am ]
Post subject: 

I'd like to try somewhere new for the National. We have done Goathland area to death ( Two BDW, Horcum, Blue Man all use the same area). There are loads of potential routes up on the moors. I'll put on my thinking cap and work out something fresh.
I remember Gil asking about the location of this years BDW as he had thought of something. I will give him a call on friday and see what he had in mind.

Si

Author:  marc two tone [ Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
[tanoy voice]

MarkTwo Tone to reception please. Mark Two Tone to reception please. Thankyou.

[/Tanoy Voice]

{skiving warehouse operative's voice}

i'm on me break! AND was rudely woken. :lol:

i'd be happy to assist vern as AEC. a fine candidate, full stop.

bringing up the rear is my speciality anyhoo.

3 tribes as a national! no brainer. catering there, crown control inherent, meet point established. lovely scenery for pics. imho.

Author:  giant-one [ Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think that settles it then :D

Author:  Dr S [ Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

Coool. Well off you trott to the headmasters office then. 8)

Author:  chrisv40 [ Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

Anyone familiar with any routes on the west side of the moors, was thinking the Falcon Inn on the A171 would make a good start point.

I've driven that road so many times and always fancied exploring that area.

Author:  kaya [ Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Chris wrote:

Anyone familiar with any routes on the west side of the moors, was thinking the Falcon Inn on the A would make a good start point.

I've driven that road so many times and always fancied exploring that area.

On the coast side of the A171 theres the old railway route from Whitby to Scarborough, not very varied riding but the views are............ stunning.
Its about 40ish miles (out & back) but its easy going and theres very few hills :lol:

Author:  chrisv40 [ Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

I've ridden the railway from Ravenscar to Whitby to get some fish & chips and yes the views are amazing.

I thought there might be some routes up on the moors nearby, I know the Lyke Wake walk finishes at the Falcon but I have no idea what route that takes.

Time for a look on Bing maps I think.

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

Will the powers that be take untried and tested routes as a National ride?
Everything so far has been well established rides.

Three 3-tribes while good for nationals (from my point of view) places it in pretty much the same place as Mr K's. I wouldn't think both would go ahead as a national.

Sherwood pines (not out ride) but could easily get a National attendance given what it can get witou the status. But if they bring it up I really doubt the place could handle it without going out in staggered waves.

I agree no trail centres though.

Talking of Moors, any riding Helmsley (SW area) area. Make a nice starting point (or up the road in the forest car parks).

Author:  chrisv40 [ Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Looking at OS maps on Bing there seems to be loads of trails heading out of Helmsley but most seem to be long stretches of footpath before they get to bridleways. Thats assuming I'm reading the maps right.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

http://www.mtb-routes.co.uk/northyorkmo ... route.aspx

There you go Ben, we will go and give it a try soon if you want.

Author:  kaya [ Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

chrisv40 wrote:
http://www.mtb-routes.co.uk/northyorkmoors/routes/Helmsley-Loop/route.aspx

There you go Ben, we will go and give it a try soon if you want.

I think Ive done bits of this :roll: but it sound like the first and last mile or so are on the Hemsley TT (lovely drivers road) but not very cycle friendly.

As far as Sherwood Pines as a National........... it would be a fooking nightmare, the only way we could keep every one going the same way would be to tie every one together with rope :lol:

Author:  chrisv40 [ Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Why, do you think Matts off piste sections could cause problems? :lol:

Author:  kaya [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:30 am ]
Post subject: 

Back to the National I think it should be on the NYM or the Dales as they offer some of the best riding in the country and with good road & rail access.

Ben
As far as established rides only for Nationals,
well as I understand it as long as the necessary H/S risk assessments have been done and the route has been reccyed then its all systems go.

The Scottish National was untried and so will the Leith Hill one be, these will have been ridden but only as a local ride.
I think the Three tribes is a good idea but on the moors or in the dales if its to be proposed as a National.

What we need to do is think about what makes riding in the NE & Yorkshire so special,
and some how use that in the ride to make people want to come back and ride here again.

Author:  drystonepaul [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Some very interesting discussion on this thread. Nice to see plenty of ideas being put forward and it's great to see such enthusiasm for riding next year.

It was a real shame not to have had a 'National' in the NE&Yorks area this year and having ridden on the NYM and at Dalby before, I think that either would be an excellent choice for one in 2012.

I can also echo what Ben says about the 3 Tribes. With the Peaks ride being a well established favourite, I can't see any possible reason that it wouldn't be the first choice for a National ride next year.

For the NWA and EastMids groups, much of the route follows sections of the Peaks ride. So I feel it wouldn't be at all appropriate to have two nationals which share so much terrain.
The NE&Yorks start point has always meant that those riders get the best riding on the 3 Tribes ride with the excellent Cut Gate section along with the shared Ladybower loop.

I'd really like to see the 3 Tribes take place in a completely different area in 2012 so that we can have some variety. The Dales spring to mind, or perhaps somewhere like the North Pennines around Penrith, Cross Fell or Alston.
The Three Tribes for this could be the NWA, NE&Yorks and MacRetro.

I'm very keen to work closely with the neighbouring regional AECs and Deputies to ensure that we can put on some really good and varied riding next year, avoiding date clashes and ensuring a high quality retro experience. So please hang fire with publishing dates until we've had some dialogue about it.

Finally in terms of which routes are suitable for National status. While some routes this year like Drumlanrig and Leith Hill hadn't previously been used for a retro meet, they had/have been thoroughly recce'd and assessed in advance by the AEC and Deputys who organise the ride.
So there is no reason why a completely new location and route can't be used next year as long as it's all assessed prior to inviting everyone along.
As with all rides which fall under the banner of Retrobike there have to be a few guidelines met to ensure they don't end up harming anyone.

Author:  Dr S [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'd love to find something on the NYM that is untried and tested. I've spent countless hours looking at maps OL26 and OL27 to try and find something I haven't ridden before but to no avail.

Btw, I wasn't suggesting the established Three Tribes as a national in its current location, rather the concept of the three tribes be used as a national.

Si

Author:  marc two tone [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:06 pm ]
Post subject:  rides for 2012

wow. the lid has really been lifted here.

plenty to muse over for us all. it feels like more 'when' rather than 'if' there is a veritable selection of retro rides on offer for 2012 in both area groups and national series.

8)

Author:  chrisv40 [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

Si, is there nothing even vaguely promising on the maps?

It would be nice to get out there one weekend with a map and see what we could come up with.

Author:  marc two tone [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:15 pm ]

a guy at my work rides in the harrogate district of north yorkshire.

no idea where or what the standard is or the general logistics but, when possible i will recce this and see if its worthy.

as far as regional sq mileage goes you cant get much more central. i will look into it.

Author:  brocklanders023 [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

giant-one wrote:
Second that for Mark.

We just don't get the chance to ride that much. beavis (Graham) has a young family, myself and the Mrs are expecting our first born at the begining of Dec so thats me out and Edd (Brock) is too busy with work, beer and women to even ride :lol:

I've told you before dude, my new hobby is drinking, smoking, chasing women. Work is simply a side issue that can be avoided with prior notice. :wink:

Might be worth doing the Skipton loop like Richard sugested. El Pedro seemed to think it was a worthy retro route when we had a ride out a while back. There's also lots of other great routes around the Malham area that are worthy of closer inspection. I work in Harrogate and know of a few routes but there's nothing too special imo. Masham/Nidderdale's a different kettle of fish though and I know someone that runs a camp site in Masham :wink:

Oh, and Kaya for boss! 8)

Author:  chrisv40 [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

So it sounds like the Skipton route deserves a date in next years calendar.

What distance is it and Ed and has it got the all important cafe/pub somewhere on route?

Author:  giant-one [ Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

chrisv40 wrote:

What distance is it and Ed and has it got the all important cafe/pub somewhere on route?

It's around the 20mile mark but we'll have a ride round it to make sure.
Pub shouldn't be a problem round these parts. :wink: :D

Author:  Dr S [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:45 am ]
Post subject: 

chrisv40 wrote:
Si, is there nothing even vaguely promising on the maps?

It would be nice to get out there one weekend with a map and see what we could come up with.

I think you missed my point Chris. What I'm saying is there is nothing untried and untested, i just struggle to find something that I haven't ridden in the last 25 years. There are some absolutely fantastic trails up on them there moors. There are some brilliant opportunities for a National ride on the moors without resorting to places we have already visited on several occasions over the last few years.

The trick is to find somewhere with plentiful parking, a mid point Pub/Cafe and a good mix of open country and exciting singletrack. Oh, and judging the numbers now on nationals, somewhere away from large tourist spots.

A National needs to be really special. Its our chance to show of our beloved region. You have to strive to make it the best event on the calendar. Its a huge task that needs lots of thought.

Si

Author:  Dr S [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:51 am ]
Post subject: 

chrisv40 wrote:

I'd be up for something around Skipton but you would have a job dragging me away from the posh little cafe opposite the market. Best breakfasts ever!

Si

Author:  giant-one [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:56 am ]
Post subject: 

Si, Which cafe was it if you can remember? Don't think it's there anymore.

Just coffee shops now :(

Author:  Dr S [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:03 am ]
Post subject: 

It was a coffee shop really but did a top notch full english, eggs benedict, croque Madame etc all washed down with fine teas and great smelling coffee. Its only a small place from the outside but has a larger area upstairs. It was open last spring but going on the fact I was the only person in there for over an hour on a saturday morning on a fine busy market day, I wouldn't be surprised if it had gone bust by now.

Si

Author:  giant-one [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:25 am ]
Post subject: 

I think it will be Coffee & Clay or the one next door but cannot remember the name, both of which are still open and do serve lovely coffee etc.

Costa Coffee has just opened at the other end of the high street so smaller coffee shops are having a tough time. :(

Fish & Chip trade is still fantastic though :lol:

Author:  brocklanders023 [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

chrisv40 wrote:

I think we measured the main loop at around 22 miles. There's lot's of options to extend/shorten though. There are pub/cafe stops but if we start in Skipton the first one is a bit close, the second a bit to far. I'm working on a solution though. Might be an idea to go off piste a little and drop down to Bolton Abby for cakes? Some of the stops are not open all year so it would depend when the ride's programed in.

Author:  Dr S [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sounds like an ideal summer route then. How about May?

Author:  Dr S [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

So adding some suggestions and tweeking dates how about....

JANUARY -
FEBRUARY -The Hell Of Horcum
APR - Three Tribes (with change of location)
MAY - Skipton Area
JUNE - Sherwood Pines
JULY - Settle To Malham
AUGUST - NE&YORKS NATIONAL ROUND
SEPTEMBER -
OCTOBER - Howgills/North Pennines
NOVEMBER -
DECEMBER - Xmas Pudding Run Dalby

Of course there are the Nationals to add here ie. Peaks, MacRetro, Anglian and Lincs plus the non RetroBike Big Weekender which is in August, but there has been up to three rides a month this year and as long as priority is given to the Nationals there is no harm in having extra rides on those months.

How about something down your way Chris and another in South Yorkshire?

Author:  brocklanders023 [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sounds like a plan Si. Every thing should be open in May and the trails should be dryish.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

Calendar looks good, if we could move the Howgills ride back to September I can put on a ride to coincide with our local cycle jumble which is held every October and adds a bit of interest.

Thats if everyone can put up with my "Gates of Wrath Ride" again :lol:

A South Yorkshire ride has been talked about loads of times and nothing has ever been finalised so yes we really should get it sorted for next year.

If Vern agrees then thats next year pretty much sorted except for January and the big national.

Anyone fancy Dalby for January if the trails are open?

Author:  Dr S [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

I was going to suggest moving Sherwood Pines to Jan or Feb. Its a good all weather venue thats rideable all year round so makes sense to run it when traditional routes are axle deep in mud. It also frees up a dryer month to head off-piste. Its your gig though Chris so your call.

I will have a think about South Yorkshire. Its my old stomping ground so I can help out down there. Greno Woods might be an option?

Si

Author:  chrisv40 [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Let me pm Matt tonight and see what his views are on holding the Pines ride in Jan/Feb, sounds good to me but it has been a joint venture for the last couple of years.

Author:  marc two tone [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:49 pm ]

chris.

welton and the wolds was a ride we all came back speaking highly of. just as a south east yorks suggestion. maybe fit this in somewhere as its just over the bridge.. there could be an additional NE/yorks-lincs meet to complement the pines.

parking may have to be tweaked for larger numbers but the pub(choice of 2), scenery, quiet trails and rest points were all bob-on. and, some of the lincoln folk can connect on this one.

a few hill-climb challenges too! a blueberry muffin for the winner.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: rides for 2012

marc two tone wrote:
chris.

welton and the wolds was a ride we all came back speaking highly of. just as a south east yorks suggestion. maybe fit this in somewhere as its just over the bridge.. there could be an additional NE/yorks-lincs meet to complement the pines.

parking may have to be tweaked for larger numbers but the pub(choice of 2), scenery, quiet trails and rest points were all bob-on. and, some of the lincoln folk can connect on this one.

a few hill-climb challenges too! a blueberry muffin for the winner.

Well we could put the wolds route in for October then and tie it in with the bike jumble, we should still be riding for 12pm at the latest. I want to tweak the route a bit for next time as we were all too knackered to take in some cracking single track in the woods leading down to the humber.

Definitely has king of the mountains potential :lol:

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

Just wish they would stop putting up new damn gates on the main run.

I vote not to move Pines from it regular time, it was a good time in the year to meet for all of us and it's a Midlands/Lics/Yorks established meet now.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Just pm'd Matt to see what his views are on a change of month.

Would probably see a much smaller turnout during winter though which would be a shame.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

Just moved the Howgills ride to make room for the Wolds & cycle jumble.

Shall we have the South Yorks ride in November? Anyone know how the trails cope in the winter weather?

JANUARY -
MAY - Skipton Area
JUNE - Sherwood Pines
JULY - Settle To Malham
SEPTEMBER - Howgills/North Pennines
OCTOBER - Welton & The Yorkshire Wolds
NOVEMBER -

Author:  unocogero [ Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hi Guys,

The Pines is pretty miserable in the winter. When it's wet it throws up a fine silt/grit that grinds bike parts (and body parts) in a remarkably unpleasant way.

It also holds water and drains badly so it's pretty much 50% silty puddles on most of the trails, even if you go off piste.

I ride there most weekends over the winter and it's always a joy when it dries out in May and becomes the sweeping single track haven we have enjoyed for the last three years.

Certainly for a group ride on a wet Sunday in Feb it would be a shadow of it's spring/summer self and I wouldn't feel I could really encourage people to travel to it, especially if they had been before and were expecting fast singletrack. You can get the same wet muddy experience on any local bridal way to be honest :wink:

I would be much happier keeping it a spring/early summer event as it's a bit of a tradition now and that would certainly offer the best riding experience.

Author:  Dr S [ Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:05 am ]
Post subject: 

South Yorks is heavy clay soil. Very claggy in winter months. Greno woods has lots of slippy roots too.

Author:  Dr S [ Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:15 am ]
Post subject: 

JANUARY -
MAY - Skipton Area
JUNE - Sherwood Pines
JULY - Settle To Malham
SEPTEMBER - Howgills/North Pennines
OCTOBER - Welton & The Yorkshire Wolds
NOVEMBER -

Looking good except there is nothing up here in the North East yet. Nearest ride is 130 mile round trip away from us lot. Sherwood is a 330 mile round trip.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:17 am ]
Post subject: 

I always forget just how far north you all are Si, what have you got in mind for a ride up your way?

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:51 am ]
Post subject: 

Other than the jumble, our nearest is ~110miles round trip (Dalby)

Si's as far from the north of the moors as we are from the south of them.

Anyways, I thought it was just ideas at the moment. May be the McRetro/NW would meet up in Northumberland, hence my Keilder mention. OR 'ride the wall/border' (if there's any routes along it)

400mile round trip from here, but that's only a touch further than a some of the national series ;)

Always going to be the problem when an area is over 200miles top to bottom. Hence Anglia/Lincs self imposed split.
How the midlands split when there span distance is about our nearest rides I don't know.

Author:  Dr S [ Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:35 am ]
Post subject: 

Dalby works out at around 165 mile round trip from here. Horcum and Kildale are a shade nearer.

DSP suggested earlier in the thread about moving the 3Tribes and having MacRetro on board. Problem is, MacRetro in general have been a little reluctant to leave Scotia over the last year or so. Apart from Velo at BDW and Dyna-Ti at Kaya's Kake run we have seen neither hide nor hair of our Scottish chums. Therefore I'm reluctant to suggest putting 3Tribes on up here just to drag folk even further away from home and exclude the Mids guys who have always supported the event.

Therefore, if 3 Tribes is to run again it needs to be towards the South of our area which still leaves the North East without a local event.

Not easy is it?

Author:  Dr S [ Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:45 am ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
Always going to be the problem when an area is over 200miles top to bottom. Hence Anglia/Lincs self imposed split.
How the midlands split when there span distance is about our nearest rides I don't know.

Thats the rub. 185 miles north to south and 90 miles east to west. A split would make it more manageable but that should be avoided as we just dont have the density of active riders.

I guess that is why many of our rides have taken place on the Yorkshire Moors as it is pretty central to those active riders. As long as we try and find some different routes on the moors then we can keep it fresh, but there is a risk of stagnation and a loss of interest if we don't.

Si

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
Dalby works out at around 165 mile round trip from here. Horcum and Kildale are a shade nearer.

160 for us to Kildale, and the same to Skipton and the same to Hope

Shame there's not more riders up the far North.
What's the NW/Cumbria riders numbers like ? As they're the closest to join in far north rides.

Just looked at the full region, hadn't really noticed you're in the middle of it and you're somewhere Way Up North

I see no problem myself in squeezing a far north, far south ride in the same month. Should get Marc2Tone to figure it out.

Attachments:
NEYregion.JPG
NEYregion.JPG [ 85.33 KiB | Viewed 292 times ]

Author:  marc two tone [ Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:50 pm ]

FluffyChicken wrote:
Dr S wrote:

160 for us to Kildale, and the same to Skipton and the same to Hope

Shame there's not more riders up the far North.
What's the NW/Cumbria riders numbers like ? As they're the closest to join in far north rides.

Just looked at the full region, hadn't really noticed you're in the middle of it and you're somewhere Way Up North

I see no problem myself in squeezing a far north, far south ride in the same month. Should get Marc2Tone to figure it out.

well so far what i've figured out is that we need to put on rides that's accessible to all riders within that given region. studying the who is closer to what needs a practicable approach. i mean, much beyond northumberland (upwards) is remote and we need to anticipate whether or not people actually live in that vacinity in enough numbers(we have to consider non members looking to join) to plan a ride in.

without splitting hairs...northallerton seems about north/south central of our region so naturally a healthy quantity of rides needs to be here which, is west of the moors and east of dales. so far we have that with horcum, kildale,dalby in the east and settle, howgills, skipton in a more westerly direction. both the dales and moors cover huge acreage and distance has to be taken with a loose term for distance to be travelled.

so far though i see a lot in the melting pot and a bright calendar to go at but, lets relax a little as the nationals have to be looked at yet and im sure there will be more chin wagging at meets to form even more cross-region meets and other ideas for trails to tackle.

it's looking very good but lets think about how far ahead we can realistically plan, you know what i mean, other commitments,weather,even the nationals were done over nine months(as opposed to 12) with scope for more.im sure we can put a finer point on things in due course.

im not terribly knowledgeable on ideal mtb locations but i will be learning from the 'knowing' over the next couple of months in a an attempt to discover our green and pleasant land.

cheers.

cheers.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think the provisional calendar is looking good but we need to give some serious thought about having a Northumberland ride and fitting in the South Yorkshire ride somewhere other than January or November by the sounds of it.

Author:  Dr S [ Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:09 am ]
Post subject: 

I'm not keen to put on a winter ride in Northumberland.

In the Northumbrian local dialect there are 26 different words for mud. The highest count in the world. That gives you a pretty good indication of winter conditions up here. Its the most abrasive mud imaginable too. I've gone through two sets of disc pads in one 5 hour nightride and have seen top tubes stripped down to primer in an afternoon. :shock:

If you are heading this way make sure its in the summer.

Si

Author:  Rich Aitch [ Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

It looks like there will be some sound rides next year and I can't wait! I'm pleased to see a Settle- Malham ride and the Sherwood Pines ride, they were highlights for me this year.

Early May would probably be best for the Skipton ride as by late May the A65 tends to slow right down with horses been taken up to Appleby for the horse fair at the beginning of June. Cafe's in Skipton, that Giant One was talking about, there's also one by Coach St carpark- I've never been but Mum and Dad like it- as car people would probably end up parking there [The start point is Skipton isn't it?] that might be a good place to meet up.

South Yorkshire ride: forgive me for pointing it out now that the consensus seems to be not to use Cutgate for the Three Tribes but isn't most of the route from Langsett in the "People's Republic"? I missed the Three Tribes one, is there any reason it's been moved?

Howgills sounds great, I've never ridden there and although it's easily forgotton it is in our region. So yeah good!

Author:  kaya [ Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:06 am ]
Post subject: 

There has been some good suggestions for areas to ride in so far, so keep them coming.
As to the calendar lets not get ahead of are-selves, there will be some changes to how it will work next year.
I have a cunning plan so stay tuned.............. :wink:

Author:  chrisv40 [ Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:04 am ]
Post subject: 

Just one thing to add which has been discussed before.

Does everyone prefer Saturdays for the monthly rides? I work every Saturday during summer and they can be a real pita to get off.

I admit it is nice to ride on a Saturday and have the Sunday to chill but surely I can't be the only one working Saturdays?

Just something I wanted to bring up, I obviously don't expect the majority to alter days just to suit me :lol:

Author:  Dr S [ Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:16 am ]
Post subject: 

I'm working most saturdays and sundays at the moment, hence the urgency to get some dates sorted so I can get them in the new diary. By booking the rides before the work I stand a chance of actually riding a bike* next year instead of just falling over them in the garage.

* there is an advantage to this non riding lark, my bikes are all gleaming at the moment and look very nice indeed :lol:

Author:  giant-one [ Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:56 am ]
Post subject: 

Rich Aitch wrote:
It looks like there will be some sound rides next year and I can't wait! I'm pleased to see a Settle- Malham ride and the Sherwood Pines ride, they were highlights for me this year.

Early May would probably be best for the Skipton ride as by late May the A65 tends to slow right down with horses been taken up to Appleby for the horse fair at the beginning of June. Cafe's in Skipton, that Giant One was talking about, there's also one by Coach St carpark- I've never been but Mum and Dad like it- as car people would probably end up parking there [The start point is Skipton isn't it?] that might be a good place to meet up.

South Yorkshire ride: forgive me for pointing it out now that the consensus seems to be not to use Cutgate for the Three Tribes but isn't most of the route from Langsett in the "People's Republic"? I missed the Three Tribes one, is there any reason it's been moved?

Howgills sounds great, I've never ridden there and although it's easily forgotton it is in our region. So yeah good!

Rich. Will prob start from Coach St car park so you can make the 50 yard ride from your house as late as you like :lol:

Author:  Rich Aitch [ Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

[quote="giant-one"

Rich. Will prob start from Coach St car park so you can make the 50 yard ride from your house as late as you like :lol:[/quote]

In that case the workshop at Rich Aitch Castle will be available for people who turn up with loose cassettes and bits dropping off their bikes. Maybe we could have a raffle too so that somebody can win free carparking on my drive, rather than having to pay in Coach St Carpark!

Looking back over the thread, I'd agree with Si about establishing the dates early, that way I can fit in less important things around the rides. Chris V40 was asking if people preferred Saturday or Sunday rides. For me Saturdays are best because public transport is better and that leaves Sundays free so I can go to church and bother God!

Author:  Dr S [ Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:15 am ]
Post subject: 

Another possible date for the calendar.....

24th April 2012 will be the 80th anniversary of the Kinder Scout Mass Trespass which was organised by Benny Rothman. It marked a sea change in the use of land by the public, which eventually led to the formation of our National Parks and Scotland's Right to Roam Act.
Although Benny has been considered a Rambler for all these years, he was actually a cyclist and would spend weekends in the Peaks and North Wales on a bike he made from old obsolete junk parts he found in Manchester. Sounds familiar? Wouldn't it be nice to have a day out in his memory? After all, we all owe him and his comrades a huge debt of thanks.

For the last few years we have riden in the Peaks in late April and enjoyed fine trails and weather. We could run a ride to celebrate the Mass Trespass in late April and use Hayfield as a starting point (the Trespass began in a quarry a few miles out).

Vern, I guess that is your part of the world. Any possible routes over Kinder from Hayfield? Maybe a lunch stop at Edale?

Si

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:21 am ]
Post subject: 

and bikes built form old tubes & parts found in the strangelove mancave ?

I'd send the Derbyshire Area xAEC the challenge to set that up, it's in their area.

(I'm not really sure which area groups claim rights to that area as I know Derbyshire is East Midlands, Kinder Scout being their peak iirc, but our definitions can be a bit oddball, so would it be NW ?)

Author:  Dr S [ Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:26 am ]
Post subject: 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_trespass_of_Kinder_Scout

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:38 am ]
Post subject: 

and
http://www.kindertrespass.com/

I know ChrisV40 will certainly be up for it, he's been going on about riding it.

24th April is a Tuesday so would you be thinking the weekend either side ?

Author:  Dr S [ Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:15 am ]
Post subject: 

FluffyChicken wrote:

(I'm not really sure which area groups claim rights to that area as I know Derbyshire is East Midlands, Kinder Scout being their peak iirc, but our definitions can be a bit oddball, so would it be NW ?)

We are not restricted to riding in our own area Ben. An AECs job is to put on rides for the members of his given area. It matters not where the rides are as long as they cater for the area members. Sherwood isn't in our area yet it has a place on the calendar and will be organized by Chris for example.

Late April has been the Three Tribes for the last few years which has involved NE&Yorks, NWA and E.Mids why not get all three involved. We have April marked down as 3 Tribes (in a different location) on the provisional calendar, so I guess it could work. Its been a popular event but as DSP said a few pages back it could do with freshening up of the routes.

The Mass Trespass started from two starting points and the Manchester and Sheffield ramblers met up on Kinder. A similar concept to the previous Peaks rides. It all ties in quite nicely.

Ultimately its for our AECs to decide and organize. This thread is just to throw some ideas out there and let them sift through and see if anything is worthy of inclusion. Keep the ideas and suggestions coming, it will be a great help to them in planning our rides for the following year.

Author:  brocklanders023 [ Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:46 am ]
Post subject: 

On the 'which day' issue... I'm not bothered, Saturday or Sunday are fine so long as I have notice and can book leave. :D

Author:  kaya [ Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
Another possible date for the calendar.....

24th April 2012 will be the 80th anniversary of the Kinder Scout Mass Trespass which was organised by Benny Rothman. It marked a sea change in the use of land by the public, which eventually led to the formation of our National Parks and Scotland's Right to Roam Act.
Although Benny has been considered a Rambler for all these years, he was actually a cyclist and would spend weekends in the Peaks and North Wales on a bike he made from old obsolete junk parts he found in Manchester. Sounds familiar? Wouldn't it be nice to have a day out in his memory? After all, we all owe him and his comrades a huge debt of thanks.

For the last few years we have ridden in the Peaks in late April and enjoyed fine trails and weather. We could run a ride to celebrate the Mass Trespass in late April and use Hayfield as a starting point (the Trespass began in a quarry a few miles out).

Vern, I guess that is your part of the world. Any possible routes over Kinder from Hayfield? Maybe a lunch stop at Edale?

Si

Sounds like a good idea I would think the N/W and midlands chaps would agree, I'll fined out if there ok with the date and get back to you.

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

brocklanders023 wrote:
On the 'which day' issue... I'm not bothered, Saturday or Sunday are fine so long as I have notice and can book leave. :D

I'm generally a Sunday rider. It's what they where made for.

Saturday is for resting from work, getting organised and with the Family as the shops are open.

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
An AECs job is to put on rides for the members of his given area

I have to disagree with this and it was brought up in other area's

It is the AEC job to coordinate, promote and help if possible in rides, he/she does not have to put them on* (though Vern does an excellent job and most xAEC ride anyway).

ChrisV40 promotes the Sherwood Pines & Bicyclemania ride but he does not host and put on the ride.

So with Kinder Scout I just thought it's one less job for Kaya/M2T/CV40 and an idea the NW/Midlands lot could organise as they live there, as such.

Ultimatley if people want to ride then they can and ask others to come along. Calendar or not.

*apart from the National Series ride if one is hosted I beleive.

Author:  marc two tone [ Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:33 pm ]
Post subject:  mass tresspass

this mass trespass looks too good to miss or , indeed the route, for any area group. it's all there. scenery, water features, food stops, rail stations, main roads for 'get out' needs. plus a visitor centre for start point.

i will see chrisv40 shortly so we can have a chat about it and relay things back to vern.

good one si for flagging it up and ben for the link. i see big potential here for 'tribal' meets or local group hosting.

extra care will have to be taken if THAT number of ramblers are in the hood on any future RB visits.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

Loving the mass trespass ride idea. Look forward to discussing that with you Marc.

Some good pics of the Kinder area here, a place I have been meaning to visit for a long time - http://stigvista.co.uk/pa/walks/dkpeak/ ... kinder.htm

Author:  kingoffootball [ Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm hoping I should have at least one bike rideable for off-road within the next month, so really lookingforward to joining in rides after that. It'll probably not quite be retro (the 2002 Carabo), but it's a start.

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

kingofhill, we are planning on having some local to this area rides through the year as well as these more regional rides

Our usual rambles over the Welton/S.Cave/Beverley sections
A circular around Castle Howard (Hovingham/Terrington/Slingsby area)
Once from Helmsley
One near Pocklington/Milington

and maybe some more

Author:  kaya [ Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

Has anyone else a ride they think would make a good day out? we also need to think of some all weather rides for winter and spring as well.

Also next year I think we should try to have one regional & one local ride every month. Local rides being local to myself,Chris,Marc and regional rides being a big day out with a pub, events with other areas and such.

Keep your suggestions coming and remember the rides are for every one so all you lurkers join in as well :wink:

Author:  kaya [ Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

No one with any more suggestions :shock:

Author:  marc two tone [ Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:35 pm ]
Post subject:  rides

i'm currently looking up a route which, needs constructing to a ride.

so far this incorporates a historic house/park(good for the parking and assembly) then heading south westerly along canal/trail with pub stop options and then along to a not very- well- known beyond here(my hood) type of recreation trail, and back in a loop.

it's very early days and unknown in parts but needs stitching together and so on. its something im doing in my spare hours and slm racing will be helping out too with some of his local knowledge.

not giving much up am i? :lol: mainly because its an unknown entity but i see the potential for a fairly flat, flowing, points of interest-type ride that heavy downpours the night before may not impact on. if a ride-able route develops it will act as a good back-up plan should this part of the uk be frozen, flooded etc... and, as i know little of the trail yet it may uncover more potential than anticipated? leave it with me and camera :wink: the 'fairly flat' refers to the connecting paths/canal. the rest of it will have some up n down.

the plan? unknown/my job to do.

the general area for reference? west yorshire/south east leeds.

cheers.

Author:  Dr S [ Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Temple Newsam??

Author:  marc two tone [ Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
Temple Newsam??

spot on!

this will act as a meet point and rather photogenic :wink: beyond that there's only so much that is cyclist permited however i expect quite enough to keep us quiet and contented then pickup the canal somewhere and head 'elsewhere' :wink: . no massive secret but it needs knocking into shape.

marc.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

Looks a nice place to start Marc, must have passed by there so many times on the A63 heading into Leeds and never remember seeing it.

If you want any company for a recce etc give me a shout.

Author:  kaya [ Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:45 am ]
Post subject: 

Heres a few pics from todays bimble round the Reeth area, Ive ridden here a few times before and never been disappointed.

Its a fantastic place to ride, there are some BIG hills and it can be a very exposed on the tops, but well worth the effort.
I was wondering if the NE & Yorks riders would be interested in paying a visit next year??

Theres also some good pubs with proper ales as well :wink:

Any body fancy it ?

Author:  giant-one [ Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:45 am ]
Post subject: 

Vern would love too. :)

Author:  Dr S [ Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:59 am ]
Post subject: 

I'll come along for the real ales whilst you guys check out the big hill bit.

Author:  giant-one [ Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
I'll come along for the real ales whilst you guys check out the big hill bit.

Can't you do both? :lol:

Author:  Rich Aitch [ Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

I've had a brainwave; why don't we have a ride to celebrate Yorkshire Day on August the 1st, which will be a Wednesday? It will mean there is a ride for people who only get days off in the week. Everybody who rides a Yorkshire made bike could get a bun or something.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:33 pm ]
Post subject: 

Nice idea Rich but does anybody get a Wednesday off work?

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:15 am ]
Post subject: 

chrisv40 wrote:
Nice idea Rich but does anybody get a Wednesday off work?

Aug 1st, I do :P

Author:  kaya [ Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:21 am ]
Post subject: 

How about an evening ride for the 1st ? theres still lots of day light in August and if we organize it some where central with easy road access?

Author:  giant-one [ Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Night ride sound good.

I can only think of 1 bike brand from Yorkshire, :roll: I have one of them but modern :D

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

I didn't know you had a Pace ?

Author:  Dr S [ Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

How about Dalby for a nightride? Did one back in june with Gil and Simonside. Great fun. Pretty central and easy to get to. Great pint in The Fox and Rabbit afterwards. I think weds night is already established as nightride night down there and are sometimes led by Adrian Carter.

Another alternative is to do a 'wherever you are' nightride like the Global one we did last year. Set a time and just ride wherever you can. It was pretty cool slogging up Glentress on friday night knowing that on a hill in Fairfax it was a sunny morning with riders out and about. Also makesfor a great photo thread and aftermath.

Si

Author:  Dr S [ Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think that saturday's themed 'pre 96 only' ride went down well.

So for next year should we try another Special Event? How about all bikes being bikes bought for less than £30? Make it pre 96 again to make it oldskool. We will have to set some rules and have proof of purchase, but i think it could be a fun day out. Do a few prizes for the shonkiest bike on the day. Plenty of bikes out there for that price.

Author:  Unclejack [ Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

All sounds very "Top Gear" but yeah loving it! What about if you did the above, but then on the day drew lots as to which bike you actually got to ride? It'd help stop the "NOS porcupines? I just happened to find them in a skip on the way here..."

Author:  giant-one [ Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

Bugger forgot about pace :roll:

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Si, it was pre-'98 as per this site (which was lucky for me)

Few other Yorkshire makers, Elis, Bob Jackson, On-One, probably more, I cannot be bothered to think to hard as my neck is hurting for no good reason.

Author:  kaya [ Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

FluffyChicken wrote:
Si, it was pre-'98 as per this site (which was lucky for me)

Few other Yorkshire makers, Elis, Bob Jackson, On-One, probably more, I cannot be bothered to think to hard as my neck is hurting for no good reason.

Don't mention On-one Si will have kittens :lol: and there certainly not made in Yorkshire :wink: :lol:

There is one Yorkshire frame I would like to get my grubby mitts on....... a Paul Donohue :roll: just thought I'd mention it, if any one was thinking of selling one :shock:

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:22 am ]
Post subject: 

Rotherhams good enough.
Didn't the early Under-1's used to be actually made in or near Doncaster (the steel's) hence the 'DN' spec drainpipe tubing.

Next you'll be saying Clockworks and Prestige are not Yorkshire because they where farmed out to the far east. :)

I see a few Paul Donohue's and the other Yorkshire brands ridden around here by the CTC lot.

(you'd think we slip On-One in on purpose ;))

Author:  kaya [ Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:11 am ]
Post subject: 

FluffyChicken wrote:
Rotherhams good enough.
Didn't the early Under-1's used to be actually made in or near Doncaster (the steel's) hence the 'DN' spec drainpipe tubing.

Next you'll be saying Clockworks and Prestige are not Yorkshire because they where farmed out to the far east. :)

I see a few Paul Donohue's and the other Yorkshire brands ridden around here by the CTC lot.

(you'd think we slip On-One in on purpose ;))

I thought the "DN6" tube reference (Doncaster Post code) was made up for a magazine article and if there were any made in this country I suspect it would be just be one or two prototype frames.

I was going to suggest Strangelove but they are being made somewhere up north in obscurity :shock:

I may have to start riding with the CTC lot if there riding Paul Donohue mtb's :wink: :lol:

Ps Strangelove are very well thought out and built frames (Ive seen one in the metal, you know where to send the moneys Si :wink: ) We need a separate thread about them with pics and the story so far.

Author:  Dr S [ Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:31 am ]
Post subject: 

Donohues are not from Yorkshire as far as I can remember. They were built in County Durham by Kev Winter. Not 100% sure, but 98% sure if you catch my drift.

The DN6 tubing thing was just made up. Even the protos were made in Taiwan.

Orange frames were made in the far east. The newer sheet metal frames are made here though.

Square tubed Paces were made here, all the new stuff is made over there.

My favourite Yorkshire made frames are from York- Ricky Feather. Stunning frames that just ooze class and beauty.

Strangelove frames are made in Northumberland but there is a big streak of Yorkshire DNA running through them.

Si

Ps. Cheers Vern, the cheque is in the post.

Author:  Rich Aitch [ Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:58 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yup I can get Wednesdays off if I have enough notice, although the idea of a nightride sounds good too

giant-one wrote:
Night ride sound good.

I can only think of 1 bike brand from Yorkshire, :roll: I have one of them but modern :D

There is also Ragley [Via Taiwan I think] and Pennine in Bradford who made at least one MTB because I saw it in Leeds, as well as all those "high quality" Falcon and Claude Butler MTB's from Humberside...

And that's even before I start thinking about road bikes.

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

Rich Aitch wrote:
Yup I can get Wednesdays off if I have enough notice, although the idea of a nightride sounds good too

giant-one wrote:
Night ride sound good.

There is also Ragley [Via Taiwan I think] and Pennine in Bradford who made at least one MTB because I saw it in Leeds, as well as all those "high quality" Falcon and Claude Butler MTB's from Humberside...

And that's even before I start thinking about road bikes.

'umberside, we banished that back to the retro days (pre '96 that is) :lol:
Them folks be Lincolnshire (or N. Lincolnshire to be correct now :roll: )..
or the region Yorkshire and the Humber* depending on what politician is asking .

*but not for us as that's cross RB-regions

Author:  marc two tone [ Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:54 pm ]
Post subject:  tempsy

well, today i have mostly been constructing a ride or, part of anyway.

as this ride is not established or documented elsewhere it is taking some time as this is the recce before the recce?!

temple newsam and it's 1000 year old house is no big secret or the 'known' trails within. i, intend to make a route that complies with local authority regs and my 'healthy appetite' regs :wink:

beyond this park is more stuff with as many features as i can cram in. im getting there but ready for 2012 without a doubt. with a possibility of ridable within the next couple of months. cooler(winter) weather may be a better option as we see less folk and labradores.

so far we have free and ample parking. close proximity to motorways. a major insight to Leeds' history with doomsday book references.

distance- slight leg ache.
grade. easy with moderate sections.

keep watching. :)

Author:  chrisv40 [ Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

Looking good Marc, don't forget to let me know when the proper recce is.

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

marc, easy to moderate.

help me understand your rating

The two rides here,
the one with the up, down and repeat and stop at the pub what's the rating of that -- moderate ?
and the other one
ride in the Humber and pay £2.50 a can of coke -- easy ?

and
blue man -- like pissing in the wind ?

Author:  marc two tone [ Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:36 pm ]

well ben, you need to know that a proper rating isnt possible yet as the whole route is not discovered as a ride at this point. The parts i have ridden are Easy with some first gear climbs and sliperry, rooty sections, therefore 'moderate'.

I'm obviously not in the employment of the ordnance survey so you just have to trust my judgement for now.

There is a corner shop nearby to obtain coke significantly cheaper! LOL.

I feel interpratation is at loss here. By any easy, moderate,hard, certain hospitalition rating, i relate to the terrain not altitude or distance, for example.

How dare you mention the blue man, ever! Lol.
I have been on the moors and other tough trails and my offering will be much less energy sapping and exposed, for comparison.

I will provide better, more detailed description in due course;-)

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Keep these dates clear of any major event and pencil it into the 'others' calendar.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 78#1296078

Yorkshire Wolds Cycle Challenge
14th & 15th July

Author:  Dr S [ Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:01 am ]
Post subject: 

Grading a ride is always going to be difficult as everyones level of fitness and ability is different. Ability wise there isn't much that bothers me but fitness and stamina is a different matter. If a ride has lots of hard climbing then i factor that in when grading a route. Cutgate for example has some techy bits, but its the big big climbs that makes it a tough day.

As a rough guide i'd go for tge following

1. Flat, non technical, short ride of up to 10 miles. Do-able on any bike.

2. A few short climbs. Mildly technical trails in places but mainly open bridles. 10-15 miles duration.

3. Moderate and sometimes prolonged climbs, reasonably easy decents, some moderate technical challenges and distance around the 15-20 mile mark. Your average Retrobike Ride.

4. Longer steeper sections and faster more technical decents. Physically demanding trails with various hazzards. Demanding on both bike and rider and probably a day to leave rigid forks at home. Distance 20 miles plus.

5. The Blue Man. Shell shock. Rehab. Prolonged nightmares and behavioral changes. Thoughts of self harm and suicide commonplace. Leave the old bike at home. In fact, better leave yourself at home.

Obviously weather can change a ride rating up or down. Malham for example would by a 3-3.5 but in the snow becomes a 5.

Si

Author:  marc two tone [ Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:42 pm ]
Post subject:  rides

thanks si.

on that guidance a rate of 2.5 would be fitting. with semi-slick tyres possible depending on recent weather conditions.

8)

Author:  Dr S [ Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:56 am ]
Post subject: 

Have we got our new 2012 Calendar sorted yet guys?

I'm now taking bookings at work for next year and want to avoid date clashes.

Got to get your priorities right you know. :wink:

Author:  kaya [ Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
Have we got our new 2012 Calendar sorted yet guys?

I'm now taking bookings at work for next year and want to avoid date clashes.

Got to get your priorities right you know. :wink:

I'll get some thing sorted this weekend, it just needs a few tweaks :wink:

Author:  kaya [ Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:15 am ]
Post subject: 

2012 Calendar now up here- http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=177901

looks like a busy year 8)

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:59 am ]
Post subject: 

It is busy :D

Could you add some none retrobike organised events to the list in some fancy colour ?
e.g.

Sunday May 27th 2012
http://www.bicyclemania.co.uk/

to the list as I know a few of us in our area do this or intend to go do this in the Lincs area.
It's become a yearly event.
Saves me forgetting about it.

Author:  Dr S [ Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well done guys. A mouth watering selection and a few areas I've not been to in a few decades. Really looking forward to next year now.

Si

Author:  Dr S [ Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

Re 2012 Calendar....Just to let you know next years RAC Rally is 23/24/25/26 November. There's a clash in there.

Si

Author:  marc two tone [ Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2012 Calendar

ok si, thanks.

national events doesn't impact november(as it stands) so back or forth for hambleton shouldn't be a real problem.

cheers. 8)

Author:  MiniNinjaRob [ Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hey guys - I hope to be on a few of these rides this year all being well. Great to see a lot of them are on a Saturday as I can't make Sundays.
Hope I can make your ride Marc as I've not ridden east of Leeds and it'll be easy to get to for me.

Author:  marc two tone [ Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:48 pm ]

yep this region for one has a well stocked diary. will be nice to see you rob. i'm hoping for a dry-ish feb/march to make the trails a little quicker. some of the bridal paths get hammered by horses late summer and compounded by rain/snow later on, can get a little 'sticky' under tyre, generally rideable in all weathers though :wink:

merry xmas.

Author:  Matthews [ Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

Let me know when you're doing the proper Temple Newsam recce please, it's local to me and I've not been there for about 40 years (got pushed into lake by an Alsation but I was little then) so my enjoy a bit of a bimble round.
Matthew

Author:  Rich Aitch [ Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

We've got a good schedule of stuff this year- so thanks for all the chaps for organising it- more on our calendar than the NW Area I think :wink: .
But any idea what the starting point and format for our National Event is in July? It clashes with the Barbon Hill Climb, so I'm needing to decide now whether to Retrobike or marshall at Barbon.

Author:  kaya [ Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

Rich Aitch wrote:
We've got a good schedule of stuff this year- so thanks for all the chaps for organising it- more on our calendar than the NW Area I think :wink: .
But any idea what the starting point and format for our National Event is in July? It clashes with the Barbon Hill Climb, so I'm needing to decide now whether to Retrobike or marshall at Barbon.

Hi Rich

Theres two possible start points so not sure yet, as for format... start at pub, ride to pub, ride back to pub winner :D

Are you coming to the Ravenscar ride ?

Author:  marc two tone [ Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:31 pm ]
Post subject:  rides 2012

i managed to get out today despite the rubbish weather. floods all over the shop. i have had me reading glasses on recently and 'mentally' knocked up a ride.

i was pleasantly suprised today as i did a last-minute decision-recce on it and, found it rideable,,more or less :wink: and takes in some interesting stuff.

rest areas, pub grub, parking, all sorted.

mileage- 12.

terrain- bridals, old railway routes, some tarmac(quiet roads) and, overall easy, flat easy going stuff in pleasant environment.

i will disclose more soon.

Author:  MiniNinjaRob [ Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sounds good - shakedown ride for the rocky I hope.

Author:  Dr S [ Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

Rich Aitch wrote:

This years National is going to be a cracker. Vern, Myself and Gil were going over the route last month and the biggest problem is going to be getting the ride under 30 miles- there is just so much classic singletrack in that area. If the weather is kind I can guarantee that the Yorkshire round of the National Series is going to be the highpoint of the year!

Author:  kaya [ Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

We had a little bimble from Rosedale today 21miles :shock: tryed some new (to me) singletrack in the area.

Meet Fat Betty

Shoe Shine

Good ride out and the weather Gods were kind to us, hope everyone made the most of the weekend 8)

Author:  Rich Aitch [ Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

kaya wrote:
Rich Aitch wrote:

Hi Rich

Theres two possible start points so not sure yet, as for format... start at pub, ride to pub, ride back to pub winner :D

Nah, being a sought-after Socialite it clashes with our Friends Meeting House after New-Year Christmas Party thing. But I might be on the Rivington ride on the 21st.

Author:  kaya [ Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

Rich Aitch wrote:
kaya wrote:
Rich Aitch wrote:

Hi Rich

Nah, being a sought-after Socialite it clashes with our Friends Meeting House after New-Year Christmas Party thing. But I might be on the Rivington ride on the 21st.

Ho to be a social butterfly :wink: hope to see you soon mate.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

Whats Fat Betty then Vern?

Tried to make the most of the weekend had a short ride on my own Saturday morning and had a nice ride out with Ben this morning a good warm up for next Saturday which I am really looking forward to.

Author:  kaya [ Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

chrisv40 wrote:
Whats Fat Betty then Vern?

Tried to make the most of the weekend had a short ride on my own Saturday morning and had a nice ride out with Ben this morning a good warm up for next Saturday which I am really looking forward to.

Fat Betty is the stone my kona is leaning against, Ive had a certain Thin Lizzy tune in my head ALL DAY :lol:

Author:  Dr S [ Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:23 am ]
Post subject: 

Fat Betty is one of the ancient stones on the moors Chris. There are loads of them. Been there as long as anyone can remember. Probably marker stones to denote land boundaries. The Blue Man isone of them, then there Ralph, little Ralph etc. Betty sits beside the road above Rosedale Head.

Had a few hours out on the bike yesterday. Not much riding though. I'm putting a few new cheeky lines in down the woods behind our house. Managed to get another 100 yards cleared and built a couple of tasty drops into it. Should have a nice new Sunday evening loop by the spring.

Si

Author:  Rich Aitch [ Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

Am thinking, are we having a BDW this year?

Author:  Unclejack [ Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

just noticed that next ride (national recce) is listed as Sunday feb 12th. is this right that its a sunday?

Author:  kaya [ Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Unclejack wrote:
just noticed that next ride (national recce) is listed as Sunday feb 12th. is this right that its a sunday?

Well spotted..... Ive amended the calender to the 11th, I'll post the announcement this weekend.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

Damn thought this was a Sunday ride, that might be me out then sorted work stuff out already :(

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

kaya wrote:
Unclejack wrote:

Well spotted..... Ive amended the calender to the 11th, I'll post the announcement this weekend.

:(
That makes pretty much all of them Saturdays now apart from the one down here and Easter Sundays.

Oh well, better get planning some Sunday rides fill in the gaps.

I'll shoot some ideas to Chris to see when they can be added, I know he's a Sunday person as well.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

Only seems to be one Sunday regional ride left after a quick look through my calendar, oh well back to begging the boss for time off.

Author:  kaya [ Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

chrisv40 wrote:
Damn thought this was a Sunday ride, that might be me out then sorted work stuff out already :(

Sorry Chris

I didn't swap the date when the calender was amended, there will be another chance to ride the route.

The route will probably need a bit more refining and I would like to ride it with both your self and Marc at some point.

kaya

Author:  chrisv40 [ Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

I will still do my best to make it Vern, only a certain amount of Saturdays I can get off work thats all and I want to attend as much as poss this summer.

Author:  kaya [ Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

chrisv40 wrote:
Only seems to be one Sunday regional ride left after a quick look through my calendar, oh well back to begging the boss for time off.

There is a shortage of Sunday rides, Maybe bump the Danby ride to the Sunday ??

Author:  Dr S [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:23 am ]
Post subject: 

If Vern wants to ride the route twice in a weekend then you can move it to the Sunday if you like. I can only do Saturdays this month and seeing as I have devised the route for this one, I need to show it to you guys.

There are several sections that I'm not sure of that might no longer exist (one stretch I havn't seen for over 20 years for example), so a smaller recce might not be a bad idea to save me from ending the day in front of a lynch mob.

Also, did I mention this route is one of my Killer Specials that runs at a shade over 30 miles? :twisted:

If you guys all want to ride a Sunday next month then I'm easy, I can show the route to you some other time when it's convenient to you all. Shame for you to miss a ride if Sundays are the only choice you have.

Si

Author:  kaya [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
If Vern wants to ride the route twice in a weekend then you can move it to the Sunday if you like. I can only do Saturdays this month and seeing as I have devised the route for this one, I need to show it to you guys

Si

If there are five or more riders that want to ride this on Sunday then I maybe up for a edited highlights ride..... say fifteen miles :roll:

Any one interested ??

Author:  marc two tone [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:38 pm ]

saturday or sunday i can do. i will bring the computer for mileage.

15 miles sound ideal too. for my lazy ass.

lets see what we can do later on to balance the sat/sun thing out. slot a re-run in somewhere to help those unable to attend the first time round. it will take a few goes in any case to refine, been in temple newsam today and if its
anything like the horrible muddy c**p i found then it will need a tweak or two if we see any more rain. :lol:

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

don't worry about altering the recce, as well it's a recce :)

I have 4 or 5 rides I can slot into the calendar for Sundays
One planned it Howardian Hill loop in the summer

Two somewhere between York/Beverley

One or two under Huddersfield (reservoir area) or towards to reservoirs near Wharncliffe.
These two really do need locals to tell me where to look though else going in blind :lol: but I have a map and a virtual pen.

Author:  marc two tone [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:01 pm ]

see rob atkin ben, he haunts those parts and may know some trails in and around.

for now i will run with whatever is announced. im sure things will be clearer when the clocks go forward and the sap rises :wink:

Author:  chrisv40 [ Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

Leave it as the Saturday, I'm not definitely out, might be able to sweet talk the boss yet and even if I can't make it I'm sure a rerun one Sunday soon would be a good idea anyway as we need to get this spot on.

Author:  kaya [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

Just had a bimble round part of the NYM, there was a bit of a breeze today :lol:

Managed to bag some more sweet singletrack that I'd not ridden before (more pink lines on the O/S 8) ) all in the bank for future rides.

Good ride today but we didn't make it round the full route as the high winds slowed us down some what :lol:

Author:  chrisv40 [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Nice pics Vern, went for a long walk with the dog this morning and the wind was terrible could barely walk into it up on the top of the hills.

Author:  marc two tone [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:05 pm ]
Post subject:  moors

very 'moorsy' indeed. there's a strong westerly today and yesterday due to drop off tomorrow but staying cold.

wherever you was can only get better i suppose, come springtime.

all good stuff 8)

i can't beat those views but my weekend venture has brought mud and toil.
worth it though as im nearer to completion for this ride.

sorry unclejack(chris) rhododendron not out yet, but starting to bud. :wink:

Author:  kaya [ Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

chrisv40 wrote:
Nice pics Vern, went for a long walk with the dog this morning and the wind was terrible could barely walk into it up on the top of the hills.

It was a bit breezy (30mph+) but the sun was out for 5 minutes, we rode an armored section of trail thats about 18" wide,
was like trying to ride a 1" skinny I spent more time in the heather :lol:

Author:  MiniNinjaRob [ Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: rides 2012

marc two tone wrote:
see rob atkin ben, he haunts those parts and may know some trails in and around.

for now i will run with whatever is announced. im sure things will be clearer when the clocks go forward and the sap rises :wink:

I could come up with a route around Holmfirth.... up towards the moors, a couple of do-able short rocky descents and some long easy (for you guys) climbs with great views.

It's be like a mini Peaks ride as the terrain is pretty similar. There is some singletrack stuff but it's cheeky and so I don't like riding it so would give it a miss - my mate rides it but I won't.

Lots of tea shops - fish and chips are great round there.

If there is any interest I could put a route together of about 10-15 miles.

I would bring free buns made by my lovely wife.

Author:  Dr S [ Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm not tempted by a lack of singletrack but might be interested in your lovely wife's buns. :wink:

Author:  MiniNinjaRob [ Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
I'm not tempted by a lack of singletrack but might be interested in your lovely wife's buns. :wink:

Oi! ;-)

She's from Bradford so she'll take you all on if there's any more talk like that. ;-)

Author:  MADB [ Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

Going for a ride out on Sunday short notice but your more than wellcome to come along. Ride put together by a friend who is trying to kill me, aprox 30miles, mixed from easy to very hard ups and moderate fast downs.

Keighley Canal to Shipley to up to Shipley Glen - Pass Acorn pub at Eldwick - Upto Dick Hudson - Opposite dick hudson up Ilkley moor - Over ilkley moor and down the otherside to Whitewells - From Whitewells along passed swastika stone to addingham moorside - Over Addingham moorside down into High moor woods - Into Holden Gate - East Morton - Down to 5 rise locks area and Canal, somthing like that :shock:

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: rides 2012

Rob Atkin wrote:
marc two tone wrote:

I could come up with a route around Holmfirth.... up towards the moors, a couple of do-able short rocky descents and some long easy (for you guys) climbs with great views.

It's be like a mini Peaks ride as the terrain is pretty similar. There is some singletrack stuff but it's cheeky and so I don't like riding it so would give it a miss - my mate rides it but I won't.

Lots of tea shops - fish and chips are great round there.

If there is any interest I could put a route together of about 10-15 miles.

I would bring free buns made by my lovely wife.

With places like UpperThong and NetherThong and Totties.
Sound like it should be good.

It's hour and half from here and there are plenty of Leeds area that can make it

Author:  Dr S [ Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

Rob Atkin wrote:
Dr S wrote:

Oi! ;-)

She's from Bradford so she'll take you all on.

Excellent. Should be a great turnout for this one then! Bagsy not going last though!!

Author:  MiniNinjaRob [ Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
Rob Atkin wrote:
Dr S wrote:

Oi! ;-)

She's from Bradford so she'll take you all on.

Excellent. Should be a great turnout for this one then! Bagsy not going last though!!

Right, you're barred from West Yorks now I'm afraid!! ;-)

(why didn't I type "take you on in a fight"??? :roll: )

Author:  marc two tone [ Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:19 pm ]
Post subject:  keighley ride

MADB wrote:
Going for a ride out on Sunday short notice but your more than wellcome to come along. Ride put together by a friend who is trying to kill me, aprox 30miles, mixed from easy to very hard ups and moderate fast downs.

Keighley Canal to Shipley to up to Shipley Glen - Pass Acorn pub at Eldwick - Upto Dick Hudson - Opposite dick hudson up Ilkley moor - Over ilkley moor and down the otherside to Whitewells - From Whitewells along passed swastika stone to addingham moorside - Over Addingham moorside down into High moor woods - Into Holden Gate - East Morton - Down to 5 rise locks area and Canal, somthing like that :shock:

this could be that dark corner unlocked now! a guy i know who lives in your estate was always ranting how that ridge above the estate went to interesting places. i might join you later in the year for a look see.

cheers bri.

Author:  MADB [ Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

I will let you how it goes as I have never realy explored much around here my self.

Author:  kaya [ Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

This weeks ride was a bit more like winter, all ice & snow
but with no wind.
We returned to Reeth to test a new route but day light and weather were against us.

Looking down on Reeth

The easy bit

The hard bit

Much fun

Think there expecting snow ?

Keep smiling

Top of the last decent

Fun fun fun

Hope you enjoyed the pics.......... you could be riding here later this year :wink:

Author:  saltyman [ Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

8)

Author:  drystonepaul [ Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

Oooh Reeth, some great riding around there. Good to see it's on the NE&Yorks calendar.

Make sure you remind me closer to the ride. I always love a trip to Swaledale.

Author:  Dr S [ Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:55 am ]
Post subject: 

Looking forward to that one. It's been years since I rode in that area.

Author:  marc two tone [ Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:40 pm ]
Post subject:  reeth

looks amazing vern.

snow and ice. welcome break from the mud i suppose!

Author:  giant-one [ Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

Can't wait for this one too. :D
Been meaning to drag the Bombay Mix brothers around there for a while now. :lol:

Author:  MiniNinjaRob [ Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

That does look quite good! Not a day for stopping and having a lazy chat from what the weather looks like though..

Author:  Nigel777 [ Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

MADB wrote:

could have met up with you for that but didnt see in time. i went to have a gander at the 5 rise as its drained at the moment. it was so busy it was unbelievable, ended up taking a detour through bingley on the way home to avoid pedestrians.

looks to be a good route to me.

anyone else fancy doing that on a sunday?
could meet up at Roberts Park.
(Im based apperley bridge).

Author:  Unclejack [ Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

is next ride definitely Sunday as this is Easter Sunday .

Author:  kaya [ Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Unclejack wrote:
is next ride definitely Sunday as this is Easter Sunday .

Yep its definitely on Sunday the 8th

Then its the Three Tribes on Saturday the 21st

Author:  elPedro666 [ Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

drystonepaul wrote:
Oooh Reeth, some great riding around there. Good to see it's on the NE&Yorks calendar.

Does look superb! Bit early for me to be planning for the 7th of July, but reckon I'll head over as well if I can... 8)

Author:  kaya [ Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

elPedro666 wrote:
drystonepaul wrote:

Does look superb! Bit early for me to be planning for the 7th of July, but reckon I'll head over as well if I can... 8)

Will be good to see you pedro :D

But I'm sure we will be-able to tempt you onto Yorkshire soil before July :wink:

Author:  elPedro666 [ Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:32 am ]
Post subject: 

kaya wrote:
elPedro666 wrote:
drystonepaul wrote:

Will be good to see you pedro :D

But I'm sure we will be-able to tempt you onto Yorkshire soil before July :wink:

Hope so mate, need to be getting some miles in before Mayhem! Starting now actually, wonder if this sunshine's reached as far as Wales... :twisted:

Author:  Rich Aitch [ Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thinking ahead, do we have any dates and routes fixed for the Settle-Malham ride and the Skipton ride?

Author:  srands [ Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Interactive Map of MTB Routes in/near Hull.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195610

Talking of where to ride locally, have a look at the above, it sayes.

Interactive Map of MTB Routes in/near HULL:

http://www.srands.co.uk/interactiveMTBm ... ersion.htm 2.6MB's

http://www.srands.co.uk/interactiveMTBmapLTDversion.htm 0.8MB's

INTERACTIVE MAP of HULL's greatest MTB ROUTEs, and local skate/bmx parks, Adobe PDF file type.

A list of all local MTB routes and BMX/SKATE parks, are at the bottom of the main map, with interactive links: Focus in on Route Start/Park Area, Route Map or Route Directions. Route Maps & Directions, are also listed in numbered pages and bookmarks, for browsing. The directions include photo/map hyperlinks, which when selected will prompt for internet connection.

Since SATellite NAVigation, Blackberry & Android mobile phones are getting more & more popular, then this 1 file version overall map, would be really useful for cyclists that are out & about, and want to know where is fun stuff to ride MTB's in/near Hull.

Feel free to forward the map to people/businesses/organisations who might find it interesting/useful, it only took me 1 day to make the interactive changes.

Alternatively for people who don't like maps, and prefer just directions, this is attached to the PDF file also, click the attachment symbol in the PDF map (Btm L/H corner, then dbl left click the mtb_routes_hull.htm file) to see my MTB ROUTES in/near HULL:
http://www.srands.co.uk/mtb_routes_hull.htm

Author:  kaya [ Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

Rich Aitch wrote:
Thinking ahead, do we have any dates and routes fixed for the Settle-Malham ride and the Skipton ride?

The Skipton ride will probably be on the 13th, as for the Malham ride it may not happen yet as it was swapped for the national recce.
But will be discussing it with the NW chaps on the Hayfield ride.

Hope thats some help to you Rich.

Author:  kaya [ Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

Skipton Social Date May 13th..

Time to put it in your diary, theres Famous fish & chips on offer for lunch as well :D

Author:  giant-one [ Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

kaya wrote:

Time to put it in your diary, theres Famous fish & chips on offer for lunch as well :D

Don't forget the Famous Dalesman Cafe in Gargrave at the start :D

Author:  elPedro666 [ Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

giant-one wrote:
kaya wrote:

I think you've convinced me... :lol:

Who's headed up from Mancunia?

Author:  giant-one [ Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

elPedro666 wrote:
giant-one wrote:
kaya wrote:

I think you've convinced me... :lol:

Who's headed up from Mancunia?

Good boy :D

Author:  brocklanders023 [ Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:54 am ]
Post subject: 

giant-one wrote:
kaya wrote:

So we're starting from Gargrave then? :?

Author:  giant-one [ Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

brocklanders023 wrote:
giant-one wrote:
kaya wrote:

Yep but Kaya will be posting details up soon. :D

Author:  Rich Aitch [ Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

giant-one wrote:
brocklanders023 wrote:
giant-one wrote:
kaya wrote:

There goes my staying in bed until five minutes before the start!

Author:  kaya [ Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

Rich Aitch wrote:
giant-one wrote:
brocklanders023 wrote:
giant-one wrote:
kaya wrote:

There goes my staying in bed until five minutes before the start!

Sorry Rich but we can have you lounging about in bed :wink:

Will post the announcement for the ride on Sunday after the Three Tribes.

Quote:

You ok with Gargrave Brock... there's no angry husbands lookin for you is there??

Author:  giant-one [ Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sorry Rich, I know the original start point was less than 100 yards from your house but blame the council for the car park charges :(

Besides Gargrave is only 4ish miles from Skipton on the canal :wink:

No angry husbands :lol: :lol: spits coffee over the floor.

Author:  elPedro666 [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:46 am ]
Post subject: 

giant-one wrote:

Angry wives...?

:P
As we're starting at a top quality cafe I wonder if I can actually be early to this one... :o

Author:  kaya [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

elPedro666 wrote:
giant-one wrote:

Angry wives...?

As we're starting at a top quality cafe I wonder if I can actually be early to this one... :o

No.....

You'd be late for your own funeral :wink:

Author:  giant-one [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

kaya wrote:
elPedro666 wrote:
giant-one wrote:

Angry wives...?

No.....

You'd be late for your own funeral :wink:

:lol: :lol:
The cafe is open from 9am and on the A65 main road through the village. There is a Co-Op round the corner if needed and public toilets are oposite the cafe :wink:

Author:  Matthews [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

Perfect , I'm busy for the 1st 2 weekends in May and thats when the local ride is on , bugger :(
Matthew

Author:  MADB [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

kaya wrote:
Rich Aitch wrote:

The Skipton ride will probably be on the 13th, as for the Malham ride it may not happen yet as it was swapped for the national recce.
But will be discussing it with the NW chaps on the Hayfield ride.

Hope thats some help to you Rich.

I will have to come to this, up the road from me and its the day before my birthday. It will also give me a target to get the KTM finished as well.

Author:  giant-one [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

Matthews: Sorry fella but we only had the 1st and 2nd weekends in May left as the rest were booked with other rides. :(

MADB: Will be good to meet a new face :D

Author:  elPedro666 [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

I was in the cafe early last year... :P

Never underestimate the power of my hunger!

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Reading backwards to see what all you are on about. ooh so May 13th is confirmed.

2hr drive via the dodgy Bradford, should be doable then. Day looks free and i'll book use of the car now. Be good to meet up as I'm missing the next and missed the previous.

Coming off at ikea roundabout, anyone need meatballs ;)

EDIT, I don't like Googles Estimate fuel cost though, but a £35 day out isn't so bad.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

Booking the day off tomorrow Ben so fingers crossed you wont have to drive anyway.

Author:  giant-one [ Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

Nice one Ben and Chris:D
Will be good to catch up.

I have a route around tother side of Malham which includes one hell of a downhill and some stunning views. Will need to try and fit it in in the summer.

Author:  Matthews [ Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:58 am ]
Post subject: 

If you see an Orange 90 on the A65 when you've finished it'll probably be me on the way back from the Lakes, I'll toot n wave if you're outside the cafe.
Matthew

Author:  giant-one [ Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:09 am ]
Post subject: 

Matthews wrote:
If you see an Orange 90 on the A65 when you've finished it'll probably be me on the way back from the Lakes, I'll toot n wave if you're outside the cafe.
Matthew

Will do :wink:

Author:  kaya [ Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

I,ve dropped the Calf & Bowderdale on the 11th of August as I don't think its a suitable ride so...... has anyone any suggestions for our August ride?

Author:  marc two tone [ Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

yes, one i'm working on now :wink:

real easy stuff yet lack of massive views etc..are compensated with pretty villages and other 'stuff' :wink:

done most of the leg-work today, just need to measure up what have you.

i will let you in on it next ride.

cheers.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sounds good Marc.

There was a setback with the Sherwood Pines ride in that Matt has a badly injured back and none of the others new the woods well enough to lead us but Matt thinks he might be up to it now so I will be working on some dates with him soon.

Author:  kaya [ Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

marc two tone wrote:
yes, one i'm working on now :wink:

real easy stuff yet lack of massive views etc..are compensated with pretty villages and other 'stuff' :wink:

done most of the leg-work today, just need to measure up what have you.

i will let you in on it next ride.

cheers.

Do you think you'll have it sorted for the august slot ?

chrisv40 wrote:
There was a setback with the Sherwood Pines ride in that Matt has a badly injured back and none of the others new the woods well enough to lead us but Matt thinks he might be up to it now so I will be working on some dates with him soon

Send him some healing hugs :lol:

So we're still on for the pines this month ?

Author:  marc two tone [ Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

yes kaya, will be sorted way before august.

the all important pub lunch will be monitored a month or so before as they are due a landlord change somewhere this summer. this may not affect the ability for us to eat there but, will double check before hand as the new owners may renovate etc...thus affecting the food-stop layout of the ride.

all in hand. :wink:

Author:  kaya [ Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Excellent Marc

Will have a chat about it next week at the recce.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

Fingers crossed Pines will be sorted after the weekend.

Author:  kaya [ Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

chrisv40 wrote:
Fingers crossed Pines will be sorted after the weekend.

Nice one Chris, you'll have to start looking for a pic for the announcement thread :wink:

Author:  chrisv40 [ Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

A few trees with a tiny path between them should do :lol:

Working on this with Rob & Matt but the 17th is looking likely.

Author:  chrisv40 [ Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

The 17th is now not looking likely at all and the rest of June pretty much full for me.

We have the option of the 1st July which in my opinion is too close to our national so how about moving Pines into the last fortnight of July or early August?

Author:  kaya [ Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

chrisv40 wrote:
The 17th is now not looking likely at all and the rest of June pretty much full for me.

We have the option of the 1st July which in my opinion is too close to our national so how about moving Pines into the last fortnight of July or early August?

Yes I agree the 1st is to close, the weekend of the 20th is the BDW so I can't make that and we have an evening ride on the 1st of Aug (yorkshire Day)
What about the 11th Aug ? and then maybe swap Marcs ride for the SEPT 1st- Howgills/N Pennies as we seam to have a few problems getting people to ride up north :roll:

What do you think Chris/Marc ????

Author:  marc two tone [ Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

some time during the week i will take a look at the calendar. my ride can be done almost any time throughout the year, slotted in easy in hot or cold weather.

8)

Author:  chrisv40 [ Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:36 pm ]
Post subject: 

Right let me approach Matt etc with the 11th as a possible and see what they think.

Author:  mistermonkeywrench [ Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hey guys - remember me?

Hope you're all doing well down there - I do miss the moors and Dalby, but having Glentress 45mins away kind of makes up for it.

Just wondering if there's going to be a BDW this year?

I got a pm from Dr S earlier on in the year - about it happening in July but I can't find any mention of it now. I'm guessing its been cancelled?

Hope to be able to make it to Innerleithen in August, so maybe see some of you there.

:D

Andy

Author:  kaya [ Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

mistermonkeywrench wrote:
Hey guys - remember me?

Hope you're all doing well down there - I do miss the moors and Dalby, but having Glentress 45mins away kind of makes up for it.

Just wondering if there's going to be a BDW this year?

I got a pm from Dr S earlier on in the year - about it happening in July but I can't find any mention of it now. I'm guessing its been cancelled?

Hope to be able to make it to Innerleithen in August, so maybe see some of you there.

:D

Andy

Hi Andy

long time no see hope its all good up north, the BDW is being run outside of Retrobike.
Will send you a pm about it :wink: