GNBR (great north bike ride) 28th august 2011

Yup

Registered yesterday and I think my number is 1644.

Still to confirm but I think one of the lads from work is doing it as well.

Will be using my silver Dale with my semi-slicks on - worked last yr so not looking ot change a winning formula

C u in Seahouse for the start of the Wacky Races. :p

It is only really mental between Seahouses and Embleton. Keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.

You will see some episodes of incredible stupidity by bike riders though - overtaking slower packs of cyclists on the wrong side of the road in the face of oncoming traffic :shock:

Once the initial surge is out of the way and the field has spread out, it becomes easier to keep to your pace.

Did a ride up to Seahouses and back on Friday and some of the road we use between Embleton and Longhoughton is quite rough - some big potholes also so warn ure mates to keep their eyes out because the holes look like proper wheel wreckers!!! :evil:

I was going to do it on the single speed as I'm doing it with some lads from work, but dont fancy being left behind on the straights!

The cannondale badboy will be the bike of choice. Strong anyway!

Thanks for the tips, never rode in a pack larger than on a RB dirty weekender, so will be an eye opener.

I'm riding from Newcastle to north shields, work mates dad is meant to be taking us up! It means about 70 miles in total for me :)

The starting car park by the Tourist Info office is rammed at the start. If ure mate's dad wants away quickly, you will be better off being dropped of on the outskirts of Seahouse and ride in. Once the ride starts, it isn't very easy to clear Seahouses.

My missus is dropping me off and last yr we found it much easier for her to drop me at the petrol station on the way in so she could be away b4 the madness began.

Just something to bear in mind.

Back