Ambleside Weekender "BDW III"

kaya

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Heres some pics from the weekend, It wasn't a retrobike event but it was in the spirit of retro and there were mostly retro bikes ridden.

We set up base camp in Chapel stile (Ambleside) had a short ride to the pub on Friday evening after the BBQ and the main ride on Saturday, with a ride round Grisdale on Sunday.

The weather gods were kind to us and blessed us with sunny days and dryish trails, a fantastic weekend with good freinds and as always great craic.

Heres some pics to inspire you to get out and ride :cool:

Picture003.jpg

Base camp

Picture015.jpg

Future BotM ???

Picture021.jpg

view behind the camp

Picture024.jpg

Thinking about riding

Picture025.jpg

Sacred tree

Picture041.jpg

Like a train

Picture046.jpg

At the top (for the first time)

Picture049.jpg

Heading down

Picture074.jpg

A bit of a scramble

Picture078.jpg

Heading up hill

Picture084.jpg

Nearing the top (again)

Picture112.jpg

Lake land industry

Picture127.jpg

Elped makes it look easy

Picture128.jpg

Wheres my lunch

Picture132.jpg

Lights required

Picture135.jpg

Pass the parcel "Bike Style"

Picture146.jpg

Ride down there????????????

Picture151.jpg

Out the other side

Picture162.jpg

House with a view

Picture168.jpg

The view

Picture194.jpg

Let it all hang out

Picture202.jpg

Maching bike and top

Picture204.jpg

Post ride pint

Picture215.jpg

Saturday evening BBQ

Saturday Evening light show 1
Picture216.jpg

Saturday Evening light show 2
Picture218.jpg

Saturday Evening light show 3
Picture220.jpg

Saturday Evening light show 4
Picture223.jpg

Saturday Evening light show 5
Picture223.jpg

Saturday Evening light show 6
Picture225.jpg

Picture231.jpg

Happy camper

Picture240.jpg

Some where in Grizdale

Picture241.jpg

The only view of Harry "xc racer" Crumb

Picture243.jpg

Looking down on Coniston

Picture247.jpg

Old man of Coniston in the back ground

Picture254.jpg

King of the mountains

Picture256.jpg

We are not amused

Picture265.jpg

Last man down safely

A stunning weekend with fantastic company and views to die for, if you like what you,ve seen there are more pics Here,

Hope you enjoy them as much as we enjoyed the weekend :cool: :cool:

Happy trails kaya

Top notch Vern. Fantastic wkend with a great bunch of biking nutters. :cool: :cool: :LOL:

God I looked fooked in that pic.
My legs do not want to work at all today.

Big Dirty Weekender 2011 Report Part One
8/9/10th July
Chapel Stile, Cumbria.

Friday

Although the weather report told tales of heavy rain and mucho cloud; this year's Weekenders headed into the glorious English Lakes on dry roads with a mainly overcast sky. I arrived mid afternoon and began to search every car park in Ambleside for Vegas, who had arrived a half hour before. Acquainted once again and filled up with chips, we headed off to Bayesbrown Farm campsite and checked in just before the rain came down.

Having decided to sleep in the van, setting up was done in a matter of minutes. In fact we had just put the kettle on when Kaya and Mr Lee arrived. The weather abated for 20 minutes whilst they pitched tents before once more turning foul. This could be a washout.

Over the next few hours, more Weekenders bounced down the track on two wheels and four and the mood began to lift as the rain was ignored. After a quick run over to Windermere to collect Velomaniac from the station (the train was on time too!) it was time to let the weekend begin.

After a short delay whilst Velo built up his bike which he had managed to fit in a hold-all, we set out under damp conditions to find a pub. The pub below Dungeon Ghyll was chosen as it looked to be an easy 2 miles on a well surfaced bridle away. So, under the cover of darkness, 9 riders departed without proper lights and without helmets, dressed in Sunday best and Jeans for a swift pint or three in the pub.
Forty minutes later, eight riders rode and one survivor walked into the pub; wet, muddy and with tales to tell of crashes over the bars on what turned out to be very technical and very, very slippy slate covered singletrack. Lesson One: Wear helmets at all times!

With only time for one pint due to the fact it was now past closing time, we stood outside the pub under clearing skies and looked for stars poking through the gaps in the cloud. Real English ale never tasted so good. It was time to head back and crack up the BBQ and sample more ale back at camp. Singletrack was abandoned for single lane tarmac and within 10 minutes we were once again back at HQ. Soon enough, the beer and craic flowed into the early hours whilst tender steaks were grilled over charcoal. The rain stayed away and the last few souls disappeared into tents sometime after 2am.

What would the weather gods give us in the morning? The weatherman wasn’t sure. Time would tell.

Saturday

Well what a pleasant surprise. I awoke at 8:30, hangover free to find sun pouring through the windows of the van. A few hours were spent fettling bikes, breakfasting, hydrating and milling about as other Weekenders rolled in. Harry Crumb was the first to arrive, followed by Mark Sinnett, Rob RC200, SLM Racing and Elpedro who had rushed back early from his holiday to make the ride. By 10:30 we were on our way and straight into a climb on tarmac toward the Loughriggs.

w1 by Si Jackson's photos, on Flickr

TO BE CONTINUED

:cool:

loved that ride last year, id of went to this if id known, i was riding in lakes sunday too :shock:

Great day's riding, only sorry it was just the day. Managed to stay attached to the bike..just.. Absolutely loved it.
Love to you all :D

mikee":36s26xk7 said:
looked like another cracker

what happened to my promised invite btw?

It was sent out to the email address you provided. :?

We did have several emails bounce back as undelivered. We hope to be a little better organised for next years event. A real shame Mikee as you were missed.

Stevo

that looks awesome!! :D and it makes me so glad that i am stopping there on the way to the scottish national!

if there is anyone local who wants to show me round on the saturday 13th august that would be awesome!!

just a shame i have been working all weekend :(

Back