kaya

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
NWA & NE&Yorks: Settle to Malham, Yorkshire Dales ~ Saturday 2nd July 2011

w-42457-malham_moor-189x189.jpg
w-071195-malhamtarnestate-property_image.jpg
w-malham_cove-189x189.jpg

The last time we ventured onto the moors around these parts, an unexpected heavy overnight fall of snow turned the ride into a winter epic and cut short our route. At the time several people suggested a return trip in summer. Aftermath here: --> http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137767

So here it is. Once again we'll be collaborating with the NWA to put together a classic route in a truly beautiful part of the country.

:: Date: Saturday 2nd July 2011
:: Distance/time: 21 Miles with shortcut options/approx 6hrs including stops.
:: Meeting at: 8am onwards for breakfasts, ride starts at 10:30am Lower Greenfoot Lane Car Park, Settle BD24 9RB
:: Directions: click here for start location
:: Terrain: 85% off road, mainly well surfaced but expect some mud in places. 1400ft of climbing, drove roads, shooting tracks and some technical singletrack.

The ride starts with a big climb out of Settle and onto the new section of the Pennine Bridleway before heading off over Malham Moor toward the Tarn (the highest Lake in England).
Then a brake burning descent into Malham Village for a hearty pub lunch and ales, followed by a short walk to Malham Cove. The return leg will see us saddling up again for the big climb up onto the Pennine Bridleway again and the final descent down the fantastic Stockdale Lane into Settle.

Stunning Dales views all the way round with particularly good views of the mighty Three Peaks in the distance.

There is plenty of parking in Settle as well as a good few pubs and hotels for those wanting to make a weekend of it. There are also regular trains from Carlisle and Leeds for those who want to leave the car at home.

Please make sure your bike is in good fettle and you are dressed for all weathers. Helmets must be worn on this route as the rocks are very unforgiving!

See thi up on't moors!

See you there. That initial climb will still be a killer and we might have to ride it this time! Was through that area yesterday and it looks stunning. However waterfalls had lots of water so imagine it could be wet. (does that even make sense?)

This is the route - same up to 13mls?

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/177452

paininthe":wpyiphrf said:
See you there. That initial climb will still be a killer and we might have to ride it this time! Was through that area yesterday and it looks stunning. However waterfalls had lots of water so imagine it could be wet. (does that even make sense?)

This is the route - same up to 13mls?

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/177452

First hill is no problem I have many excuses in my book (wrong tyres,wrong gears,grass is the wrong shape) you get my drift.

Yes were taking the same route as last time BUT this time I hope theres enuff day light to make it back off road ;) :LOL:

And I hope we,ve had some more dry weather before the ride to make it the opposite to what we had last time :cool:

cheers kaya

Yep Me too but need to check later.

Right The Listers Arm's know we're coming just waiting for conformation from the manager :D

giant-one":2693df49 said:

Right The Listers Arm's know we're coming just waiting for conformation from the manager :D

Well done that man ;)

You alright to ride now?

kaya":3paem1dm said:
giant-one":3paem1dm said:

Well done that man ;)

You alright to ride now?

Er, should be? Been riding a Spin cycle for the last couple of weeks on random days and feels fine so far.
The real test will be tonight at Gisburn but will be taking it easy sort of. :roll: :LOL:

giant-one":3kus3qd0 said:
kaya":3kus3qd0 said:
giant-one":3kus3qd0 said:

Well done that man ;)

You alright to ride now?

Er, should be? Been riding a Spin cycle for the last couple of weeks on random days and feels fine so far.
The real test will be tonight at Gisburn but will be taking it easy sort of. :roll: :LOL:

Good luck mate, hope all goes well :D

Well the ride at Gisburn last night went really well.

Unfortunatly I cannot make this ride but the Pub is sorted for you.

Gutted. :cry:

Back