FEB RIDE- SETTLE TO MALHAM - Aftermath

paininthe

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Undaunted by the weather 17 members, majority on Retro braved the hills and forecast and turned up for the prompt start time of somewhere after elevenish.

It was a lovely day to push a bike, so this is what we did for the first couple of miles. The snow was deep, the route steep and anything slightly off line meant you was lying on your side (well for me anyway).

After the rough start it all became a bit more cycleable and as a result a lot more fun.

After a major mechanical, (look out for lots of Synchros seatpost on sale) we made it to the pub at Malham for beverages and fine food.

With time getting on and darkness threatning a road route was sorted back to Settle. A hellish climb(yes I know i walked some of it) and an even more hellish descent with lines having to be perfect to stay on tarmac and out the snow. With speeds up to 37mph it all ended with one hell of a buzz, smoking brakes and 1 pair of clenched buttocks.

Thanks to all...

GPS thingy and some photos here

The speed and heartrate traces on there are very telling. For example, right near the end where the speed goes off the scale your hr is higher than on the climb, followed by it stopping altogether for a moment... :LOL:

I'll stop going on about it now, but from five yards back it fairly terrifying! :shock:

Hope everyone got home safely.

Cheers chaps had a really good bike ride in the snow. :LOL:

Can't wait for the pics :D

Sorry to have missed it, I think :? :LOL:

Anyway what happened to Paul on this last descent?

giant-one":2mqmygw2 said:
Hope everyone got home safely.

Still waiting to hear from CharlieBoy, but I set him up with a coffee & a toasted hot cross bun to go, so hopefully he'll make it! :LOL:

Nice to see you retro Rick, lovely frame that :cool:

after an interesting 2hr drive down to west yorksire from gateshead, where the last 43mile was in thick snow, i finally made it down.....despite being all aches and pains to start with i dragged the 37lb mukluk along for this one.

good call.

really wasnt in the mood for those hills but i coped ok, and the thicker snow and slush when on the hill tops was great. nice to be riding ok when everyone was having problems for a change.

only downside was the random chain snap, big thanks to the kind guy who had a quick link handy!

oh, and i managed 39.3mph on that last downhill section..scary when you have huge tires with 18psi wobbling around
:LOL:

highpoints:

food. good company. bike worked sound. those downhill blasts when the rain off my tires was like being sat being an artic lorry in a downpour!

downpoints:

just the fact the views were spoilt by the fog and low cloud. cant wait for a summer re-run.

heres a few pics from the mobile.

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

good day today considering the weather, that climb in the fog on the way out was s#it i realy felt like going home but so glad i didnt once it leveled off i started to enjoy it, nice chips must stop having beer, syncros anybody?
i must admit getting a bit carried away on the last descent home, a foot wide track in snow on tarmac at 37 mph heading in to chicane with canti's was so much fun :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: i hope no one was following ;) cheers lads realy enjoyed today ,
Lee
IMAG0350.jpg

elPedro666":1y3f0jh9 said:
Soooooo close to 40 - almost worth another run...? :LOL:

:shock: not after the smell and steam coming off my new brakes........was good to bed them in though :LOL:

Latest posts

Back