BDWIII Planning meet and Recce

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
bdw3flyer.jpg

Well guys, seeing as Anglian and Lincs have got 40 punters for this weekend's Thetford Meet I guess its time we have to get cracking on planning BDWIII if we are to keep the crown of best attended event this year.

The route is more or less finalised for the Saturday, but we need to sort the following...

1,Visit the campsite and get everything Okay'd

2,See which of the local pubs are willing to get staff in and put on 45+ breakfasts on sat and sunday mornings

3, Work out a route and do the recce for the friday evening (4-5 miles + pub should do it.

4, decide between Whinlatter or Grizedale for the sunday.

I'm looking for a few volunteers to help out with the above. Sometime in April would be good, giving us plenty of time to change plans should there be any problems. I will talk to Mark Sinnett and DSP this weekend and see if they are available.

BDW has got too big for one man to handle now, so your help will be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Si

4) Whinlatter every time

Post a link for the camp site and do have a gps route for Saturday?

W have a map and pencil for the saturday route. This is RetroBike not STW. GPS is modern devilment.

Campsite details are going to be PM'd to attendees just prior to the event for security reasons. Its a constant worry that dodgepots might read this forum and decide to take a van up to the Lakes.

I intend to make it to the BDW3

I shall be playing this album en route, just to get me in the mood for it :LOL:
51%2BMb9GuIDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm up for a day out in April, will have to have a chat on sunday to sort a few things out :D

I'd vote Grizedale and a pootle over to Coniston too if anyones fancies from there. T'other one is quite a drive away for the 3rd day there. Grizedale is pretty easy to get to and down the road. It's also in the right direction for most visitors to get back home the same day.
Though if it's anything like last year, Sunday'll not happen :LOL: but Bombay mix a plenty.

Still got to see if I can get to and have the BDWIII date available.

Looking at the Calendar it is the first days of the school Summer Holidays so going to be busy up there in Ambleside.

Having heard a report from riders who were at Thetford, I personally think taking 40 people at one go along the trails at Whinlatter would be very inconsiderate. They are very tight in places with little or no places to pass a bunch of slower riders that may be obstructing YOUR riding.
At risk of being controversial (again), if its retro you`re riding, make it natural trails, not a trail centre unless its capable of handling large volumes of traffic and speaking as a one time regular at Whinlatter it is not!
FWIW, there is good bike riding in the Keswick area without using manmade stuff. :evil:

If you get 10 people riding on the Sunday I'd be amazed (Year 1 we had about 8, Yr 2 we had 0).

Guess you never know though.

I would tend to agree though that not too far from the beaten track would be a better option for the Sunday. Given the amazing amount of trails in the Lake District something natural would be my chosen option rather than a trail centre (they all look by and large the same to me).

Back