FEB RIDE- SETTLE TO MALHAM, YORKSHIRE DALES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
NE&YORKS in association with the NWA proudly present your ride for February.

SATURDAY 19TH FEBRUARY

w-42457-malham_moor-189x189.jpg
w-malham_cove-189x189.jpg
malham12.jpg

malham04.jpg
w-071195-malhamtarnestate-property_image.jpg

START: Lower Greenfoot Lane Car Park, Settle BD24 9RB

TIME: Meet for breakfasts from 8am onwards, ride starts at 10:30 sharp.

DISTANCE: 21 Miles with shortcut options

TERRAIN:
85% off road, mainly well surfaced but expect some mud in places. 1400ft of climbing, drove roads, shooting tracks and some technical singletrack.

ROUTE: A big climb out of Settle and onto the new section of the Pennine Bridleway before heading off over Malham Moor toward the Tarn (the highest Lake in England). A brake burning descent into Malham Village for a hearty pub lunch and ales, followed by a short walk to Malham Cove, before saddling up again for the big climb up onto the Pennine Bridle again and the final descent down the fantastic Stockdale Lane into Settle.
Stunning Dales views all the way round with particularly good views of the mighty Three Peaks in the distance.

There is plenty of parking in Settle as well as a good few pubs and hotels for those wanting to make a weekend of it. There are also regular trains from Carlisle and Leeds for those who want to leave the car at home.

Please make sure your bike is in good fettle and you are dressed for all weathers. It is also strongly recommended that helmets are worn on this route as the rocks are very unforgiving!

See thi up on't moors

Dr S

So far...14-2-11

NE&Yorks
Dr S
Saltyman
Giant One+ Guests.
Kaya
Beavis
Brocklanders
Paininthe
marc two tone

NWA
Sinnett177
DSP
mr_ship
Woody
HarryCrumb
mrlee
EarlofBarnet
elpedro666
Charlieboy28

MacRetro
Velomaniac
RobMac

Anglian and Lincs
Longun

Oh yes, up for this. It'll be cold and windy up top, mind.

Did this last year. Was very tough! Ace scenery though. I'll be on the train.

Nice pictures, add white stuff or droplets and dark grey fluffy things in the sky and trees bending over and I bet that'll be more in keeping with the weather.

All being good I should be coming (given a tentative pass with growls as it's start of half term). Will work on the 'others' around here at the weekend

Think I'd like to give that a go as settle can be reached by train. need to work out how to do it so i'm a maybe ;)

It will be good to see you again Velo.
The great thing about the train journey down to Settle will be the bit south of Carlisle. I believe it is of some note amongst railway enthusiasts...

It's a bike friendly service too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back