Ride With GPS

paininthe

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Shamelessly stolen the idea from the South East and this thread thankyou bobcatmax.

What a great site this is ridewithgps put up the Circuit Of Fountains Fell that I did last week, even links automatically to the GPS photos.

Anyone else plot their rides up north?

We tend not to bother being a bunch of Luddites. We also have about 3 years worth of routes to try out so rarely go back to the same one so have no need to record them. Finally some of our routes are pretty special and we don't want anyone else to use them :LOL:

:LOL:

Don't let the Luddites drag you down paininthe ;)

I bet you get more takers. As DA-EVO said in the SE thread

I go away I take a bike and would want some routes etc, without buying all the guide maps each time etc.

i know that just looking at a few others routes in my local area has inspired some new ones for me

paininthe":2kmio4ja said:
Well that was a big FRO, thanks. Sorry to have bothered you.

Sorry, didn't intend for it to come accross like that at all. Just answering why we don't bother mapping rides. None of us have GPS anyway so we couldn't submit a route if we wanted to. It's all local knowledge and maps for us old sods.

If you look at all the group rides put together, there aren't that many. So either people are riding alone or in the shed all the time tinkering. I get as many Wednesdays off as I do Sundays so opportunity's do not arise that often for group rides that's why it would be nice to know where other folk are getting their kicks.

The Moors ride around Goathland, would love to do it? how? The Peaks ride coming up, working again, how to do that?

Not saying every group should have GPS but those that do, do. How many have Iphone / androids? apps out there for them.

@DrS - Ok

I see your point completely. Problem with the Iphone apps is battery life- 4/5 hours on a full charge. Not much use for an all day epic.
I've always got my routes from maps. Quite enjoyable sat with a beer linking up bridles, looking at map features and contours. I like to get off the beaten track a little and tend to avoid the more popular routes. It's great to put on a ride in someones back yard and find a stretch that they didn't know about.
If you want to know where any of the routes are that we have done send me a PM and I will do a desriptive and a map scan. They are all straightforward enough if you can use a map.

Some of our rides have been done with GPS, makes it easy to know where you've been, mainly for the others that come along. Though only one or two have had it with them.

Seems a good idea, I know we currently use MapMyRide locally down here (and with north lincs)

Dear All,

Long shot I guess, Has anyone got any GPS trails for bike rides around the Peak District?

Looking to stay in Castleton or nearby in the near future. Don't know the area much.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

D

Try Drystonepaul over in the NWA section. He knows that area really well.

Cut Gate is my personal favorite Peaks route. This weekends Peaks Meet is also a classic, taking in a route around Hope, Castleton and Edale.

Back