Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnett177

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
THE NORTH WEST OF ENGLAND 2nd NATIONAL STATUS EVENT.

THE LAKE DISTRICT NATIONAL PARK.

:: Date: Saturday 8th May 2010
:: Distance/time: 20 miles / 4-5 hours riding.
:: Meeting at: Coniston Ferry Landing car park on Lake Road just to the south of Coniston at 10:00am for 10:30am start.
:: Directions: Grid Ref: SD308970 ~ Postcode: Cumbria LA21
:: Terrain: Rocky and natural Lake District singletrack and trails with some climbs and great descents. It also uses about two thirds of the North Face Trail in Grizedale Forest.
This route avoids the really big lakeland mountains and, while challenging in places, is very suitable for riding on an a retro machine. Be prepared for the usual changeable Lake District weather. There are some short road sections but the route is mostly off road. A few technical sections and plenty of glorious views and fast descents.

4393062092_fa7933d2ca_o.jpg

:: Route Description: This 20 mile route is a variation of the one which Drystonepaul gained his Mountain Bike Leader qualification. So he knows it well and it's definitely a great route and definitely suitable for retro bikes. A map will appear soon, but basically it starts at the Coniston Ferry landing. There's a nice little cafe there too. The route starts with some great singletrack and a narrow lane up to High Tilberthaite and then across past Hodge Close and then West to Arnside Intake. From Knipe Fold the ride continues on some quiet lanes and to the edge of Grizedale Forest at High Cross. Then we'll join the North Face Trail and follow it down to the Visitor Centre for some food. After that we'll continue around the NFT up to Lawson Park, before taking a great descent down and out of the forest to Bank Ground. Then it's a short roll back around the northern tip of Coniston Water back to the start point.

:: Accomodation: There are plenty of B&Bs in Coniston itself and a nice campsite less than a mile from the start point. Plus loads of accomodation options in the Lake District for anyone wishing to make a weekend of it.

See you there.

I've added a few details to the original post.
Suffice to say that I'll be there. I'm really looking forward to this ride, it really is a brilliant route and the scenery is absolutely stunning.
If you haven't been on a Retrobike ride before, than this would be a fantastic first one to join.

Can't wait. :D

I'd like to try and attend this one but a lot of stuff needs to go according to plan in order to make it :roll:

Put me down as a maybe ;)

Here is the route map and a profile for the ride.
As you can see we don't actually climb above 300 metres at any point during the ride. But rest assured though, even at these relatively low altitudes the views and the descents are still magnificent.

Coniston-Map.jpg

velomaniac":3gg33og0 said:
I'd like to try and attend this one but a lot of stuff needs to go according to plan in order to make it :roll:

Put me down as a maybe ;)
If you need lifts to/from train stations VM drop me a line, happy to help.

Easy_Rider":usrhul30 said:
Look at all those tightly packed, twisty gradient lines :twisted:

Just as a comparison, this is the profile for the Macclesfield Forest route a couple of weeks ago:

MaccForest-Profile.jpg

The Lake District ride has far less climbing but it is five miles longer. ;)

Plan is to Scooter down and camp at National Trusts Low Wray site. Will probably bring Raleigh White Lightnin so dark glasses advised :LOL:

However if train is needed and a lift required I'll let you know ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back