Not open for further replies.

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
NWA regional ride: Macclesfield Forest, Wildboarclough and Three Shires Head
:: Date: Saturday 10th April 2010
:: Distance/time: 15-20 miles / 4-5 hours riding.
:: Meeting at Leather's Smithy Inn at 10am for 10:30am start.
[Free parking available on the road outside the pub alongside the reservoir but please don't use the pub car park]
:: Directions: here
:: Terrain: Well drained fire roads, rocky descents, and moorland tracks. Some road sections including one big road climb. Nothing particularly technical or steep but plenty of rocks and fast descents.

To recap; the first attempt at this route back in January was severely affected by heavy snow and meant that a last minute route change avoiding the higher hills was necessary. An successful alternative ride still happened which you can read all about here.

So as promised I'm organising a re-match as it's too good a route to miss and I'd like to invite everyone and anyone to join in.
The ride will start in Macclesfield Forest and will include the fantastic descent of Charity Lane and the climb up to The Cat and Fiddle Inn, which at an altitude of 1690ft (515m), is the second highest pub in England.

From there we'll cross the moors and descend to the very picturesque Three Shires Head, where the counties of Cheshire, Derbyshire and Staffordshire meet.

Then it'll be down the great Cumberland Clough, and back up around the forest for a final fast descent to finish for drinks and food in my local pub.

This is a tried and tested all weather route, which enjoys great views and proper old school riding. It'll hopefully be Spring like and it's certainly hilly but well worth it for about 15-20 miles of retro fun.

March2010_1.jpg

Three Shires Head - March 2010

March2010_3.jpg

Top of Charity Lane - March 2010

March2010_4.jpg

The moorland bridleway opposite The Cat and Fiddle Inn - March 2010

I rode this recently with Orange71 and Woody and as you can see from the pictures there is still some of the snow still lingering in places. Hopefully it will all be gone by mid April.

Everyone from all areas is welcome, preferably riding retro of course.

It's also my birthday on the 17th and I can think of nothing better than spending the day riding retro with the good people of Retrobike. :D

So what say you?!

Passport might be tricky but it is such a good ride may call in some favours :D

EDIT: passport denied :( daughter has dancing competition...

Sorry to continue the excuses Paul, but i'm at SSEC that weekend :(

Happy birthday in advance :D

Right that's it. I looking at alternative dates.

Either the Saturday 10th April (Day before HONC) or Saturday April 24th (Week before Three Tribes meet)

Any preferences or should I just leave things as they are. I'll still be riding on my birthday anyway. :D

Stally":uh8x5trs said:
I'll be there. Not Fussed what date

Eh up Stally! Not heard from you for a while.

Right I'm moving the ride to the 10th instead, which means that I can eat my cake and jelly on my birthday now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back