Sun 20th Rough Roads Ride

elPedro666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
...and now for something a little bit different...

The Details

Sunday 20th May
1000 at my gaff in Stockport
or
1200 midday at Roman Lakes nr Marple
https://goo.gl/maps/1QPTLvAvBuH2

Drinks and snacks at Roman Lakes and Sett Valley cafe (about halfway)

The Genesis

RideWithGPS is a brilliant tool for planning routes, but sometimes it fails to distinguish between tarmac and dirt and a couple of weeks ago (whilst contemplating bouncing the Colnago along a gravelly track :shock: ) this got me thinking...

The modern 'gravel' or 'all-road' genre - of which I must admit I am a fan - always puts me in mind of an oldskool, one bike for everything, exploring the countryside kind of riding, so I thought it'd be fun to clash the old and new machines in some proper big countryside :cool:

What to expect

After a few weeks of recce rides I've pieced together a loop that covers some charming back lanes, some dirt and gravel access roads, a little bit of rocky offroad and some absolutely corking views. And a few little climbs, obviously, this is the Peaks after all!

My aim was to keep the terrain tame enough that something like a Dawes Galaxy on 32mm rubber would cope with even the roughest bits and I think it's *just* about there, although you would need to be careful and steady in places. A triple or a big cassette would probably be a boon too! I've been riding it on a modern Whyte (my commuter/tourer/doitall bike) on 32mm Kenda Small Block 8s and running a 34/30t granny and that seems to be about ideal. Unless we've had a serious dry spell at least a modicum of tyre tread is probably going to be necessary too.

I'm aiming this at dropbar riders but there's absolutely no reason you couldn't bring a mountain bike, skinny tyres (in MTB terms) will make the lanes a pass a lot easier though.

The Ride

25ish miles from Roman Lakes
Extra 10-15 if you join me from home (coffee always available)
60/40 on/off road split
Back lanes, disused railway, dirt/gravel access tracks, occasional short rocky bits.
Some climbs that'll make you swear
Some absolutely stunning views :cool:

The Future

If this goes down well we already have two more similar rides in mind to make a mini-series and would love to get shown around other folks areas!

THE SHORT VERSION

Backroads and tracks in beautiful, hilly scenery.

Attachments

• _20180508_135832.JPG
    _20180508_135832.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 7,400
Maybe - know I'm busy on the Saturday, but might be able to make it out to play. Can't promise having a fully appropriate bike ready, but could always just take a MTB, or try and gear down the road SS commuter beast...

Gears are for wimps right?

Si F

Re:

I really fancy this, but I’m moving house this month.

I’ll try my best to make it, but it might not happen.

I’ll confirm closer to the day.

Re:

Oh bolx!

I have my very first race on a cx bike that day. AND I'm heading north again in the afternoon, for a few days :facepalm:

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2ll4hjo3 said:
Oh bolx!

I have my very first race on a cx bike that day. AND I'm heading north again in the afternoon, for a few days :facepalm:

Cross is brilliant, so friendly it's like having a second family, you'll have a blast I'm sure! Let me know what your plans are for heading up this way, hopefully squeeze a ride in somehow :cool:

Re:

Considering. Considering. The missus is going away that weekend so may be on airport duty. Considering

Back