Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Sun 20th Rough Roads Ride
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=383775

Author:  elPedro666 [ Tue May 08, 2018 1:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Sun 20th Rough Roads Ride

...and now for something a little bit different...

The Details

Sunday 20th May
1000 at my gaff in Stockport
or
1200 midday at Roman Lakes nr Marple
https://goo.gl/maps/1QPTLvAvBuH2

Drinks and snacks at Roman Lakes and Sett Valley cafe (about halfway)

The Genesis

RideWithGPS is a brilliant tool for planning routes, but sometimes it fails to distinguish between tarmac and dirt and a couple of weeks ago (whilst contemplating bouncing the Colnago along a gravelly track :shock: ) this got me thinking...

The modern 'gravel' or 'all-road' genre - of which I must admit I am a fan - always puts me in mind of an oldskool, one bike for everything, exploring the countryside kind of riding, so I thought it'd be fun to clash the old and new machines in some proper big countryside 8)

What to expect

After a few weeks of recce rides I've pieced together a loop that covers some charming back lanes, some dirt and gravel access roads, a little bit of rocky offroad and some absolutely corking views. And a few little climbs, obviously, this is the Peaks after all!

My aim was to keep the terrain tame enough that something like a Dawes Galaxy on 32mm rubber would cope with even the roughest bits and I think it's *just* about there, although you would need to be careful and steady in places. A triple or a big cassette would probably be a boon too! I've been riding it on a modern Whyte (my commuter/tourer/doitall bike) on 32mm Kenda Small Block 8s and running a 34/30t granny and that seems to be about ideal. Unless we've had a serious dry spell at least a modicum of tyre tread is probably going to be necessary too.

I'm aiming this at dropbar riders but there's absolutely no reason you couldn't bring a mountain bike, skinny tyres (in MTB terms) will make the lanes a pass a lot easier though.

The Ride

25ish miles from Roman Lakes
Extra 10-15 if you join me from home (coffee always available)
60/40 on/off road split
Back lanes, disused railway, dirt/gravel access tracks, occasional short rocky bits.
Some climbs that'll make you swear
Some absolutely stunning views 8)

The Future

If this goes down well we already have two more similar rides in mind to make a mini-series and would love to get shown around other folks areas!

THE SHORT VERSION

Backroads and tracks in beautiful, hilly scenery.

Attachments:
_20180508_135832.JPG
_20180508_135832.JPG [ 229.29 KiB | Viewed 1734 times ]

Author:  elPedro666 [ Tue May 08, 2018 2:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re:

Something a bit like this, but not exactly...
https://www.strava.com/activities/15312 ... 1524677067

Author:  Easy_Rider [ Tue May 08, 2018 3:42 pm ]

Good work Pete!
I really want to make it out to this one..

Author:  LongboardSi [ Tue May 08, 2018 5:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Sun 20th Rough Roads Ride

Maybe - know I'm busy on the Saturday, but might be able to make it out to play. Can't promise having a fully appropriate bike ready, but could always just take a MTB, or try and gear down the road SS commuter beast...

Gears are for wimps right?

Si F

Author:  DICKO10 [ Tue May 08, 2018 9:47 pm ]

Looking forward to this one

Author:  iveto1983 [ Tue May 08, 2018 10:34 pm ]

I really fancy this, but I’m moving house this month.

I’ll try my best to make it, but it might not happen.

I’ll confirm closer to the day.

Author:  elPedro666 [ Wed May 09, 2018 8:29 am ]

LongboardSi wrote:
Gears are for wimps right?

Absolutely.
I love mine :)

Author:  Mike Muz 67 [ Sat May 12, 2018 8:57 pm ]

Oh bolx!

I have my very first race on a cx bike that day. AND I'm heading north again in the afternoon, for a few days :facepalm:

Author:  elPedro666 [ Sun May 13, 2018 7:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67 wrote:
Oh bolx!

I have my very first race on a cx bike that day. AND I'm heading north again in the afternoon, for a few days :facepalm:

Cross is brilliant, so friendly it's like having a second family, you'll have a blast I'm sure! Let me know what your plans are for heading up this way, hopefully squeeze a ride in somehow 8)

Author:  legrandefromage [ Sun May 13, 2018 7:35 am ]

Considering. Considering. The missus is going away that weekend so may be on airport duty. Considering

Author:  LongboardSi [ Sun May 13, 2018 12:15 pm ]

Things are always better with cheese... hope you can

Author:  elPedro666 [ Mon May 14, 2018 5:35 am ]

LongboardSi wrote:
Things are always better with cheese... hope you can

Impeccably true, fingers crossed!

Author:  elPedro666 [ Wed May 16, 2018 7:47 am ]

Is it too early to get excited about the (potential) weather for this...? Out offroad on slicks last night, no problem - with a bit of luck I won't need to change them for Sunday and will be flying on the lanes! 8)

That said, there are a couple of sections where we might appreciate some tread (and definitely some cush) and if it's damp some kind of knobblieness will be pretty essential. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm probably not setting a good example :lol:

Author:  slmracing [ Wed May 16, 2018 12:40 pm ]

Sounds great Pete, I have a modern CX bike with some 32mm Schwalbe land cruisers on, perfect for this ride.

The only problem is I cant make it :facepalm:

I will look forward to the aftermath pictures :D

Stuart.

Author:  elPedro666 [ Wed May 16, 2018 12:59 pm ]

slmracing wrote:
Sounds great Pete, I have a modern CX bike with some 32mm Schwalbe land cruisers on, perfect for this ride.

The only problem is I cant make it :facepalm:

I will look forward to the aftermath pictures :D

Stuart.

Had you in mind too, thought it might be something you'd enjoy :( Looking increasingly unlikely that this'll be one-off though, so hopefully next time... :)

Author:  LongboardSi [ Wed May 16, 2018 1:47 pm ]

I'm almost tempted to bring this along then if it stays dry! Got some wider (but still rather slick) rubber and I might try to find a smaller chainring to pop on for the day.

Or it's a mountain bike with 1.5" Conti XCs. Hmmmm - KHS Montana or retro-mod M2?

Attachments:
12046781_1134193443267389_7269046294421980766_n.jpg
12046781_1134193443267389_7269046294421980766_n.jpg [ 128.87 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]
12039736_1134193446600722_6823680298034305887_n.jpg
12039736_1134193446600722_6823680298034305887_n.jpg [ 126.25 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]
12036793_1134193449934055_371484937185945790_n.jpg
12036793_1134193449934055_371484937185945790_n.jpg [ 115.82 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]

Author:  elPedro666 [ Wed May 16, 2018 2:44 pm ]

Very slick! 8) How confident are you in the non-rattling of those mudguards...? :lol:

Author:  LongboardSi [ Wed May 16, 2018 2:55 pm ]

Mudguards may well come off it it's dry...

It'll be a laugh, cause it's such a weird handling bike - check out bar height and chainstay length! (I needed to put a few extra links in the chain - standard SS white one I bought wasn't enough)

Author:  elPedro666 [ Wed May 16, 2018 6:28 pm ]

Anyone else I'd probably guide them gently away towards something more sensible, but as it's you... :lol:
Definitely be a laugh for the rest of us!

Got me thinking though, might be useful to have a list of who's coming: name, bike and where you're planning to join us (10:00 at my gaff in Stockport or midday at Roman Lakes). Depending on who and what turns out there are a few options for the route, and more importantly gives me an idea of how many coffee beans to grind ...

Author:  LongboardSi [ Wed May 16, 2018 8:00 pm ]

I’m in for Coffee at ten if you let me know where to get to, riding either the machine above, or something else

Author:  elPedro666 [ Fri May 18, 2018 4:07 pm ]

LongboardSi wrote:
I’m in for Coffee at ten if you let me know where to get to, riding either the machine above, or something else

Sent you an email with the address etc. Anyone else need a copy...?

Author:  legrandefromage [ Sat May 19, 2018 8:20 am ]

Am on airport duty and now have a fantastic snotfest of an infection as a goodbye present from the missus.

Will be bicycling locally I think rather than the 5 hour round trip

Author:  iveto1983 [ Sat May 19, 2018 9:32 am ]

Alas, I’m too busy with the move to get a free pass out for the day.

I’ll be able to make a ride at a later date though.

Author:  bhill22 [ Sat May 19, 2018 10:31 am ]

Hi pete, I am in, message me you home address please, I will cycle to yours
col

Author:  jackosbournesnr [ Sat May 19, 2018 7:14 pm ]

Sounds fun...and the weather looks to be fantastic!

I have lots of recent experience of Ridewithgps not distinguishing tarmac from farm track!

Im 20 miles away right now, but heading north in the morning.

Have fun!

Author:  elPedro666 [ Sat May 19, 2018 10:56 pm ]

Cheers Ken, sorry not to make it over to join you but when the Whyte frame gave up on me it was the last nail in the coffin of that idea! Is there somewhere we can keep updated on your progress?

LGF, Snotbags, sorry to hear that, hope you have plenty of mansize with balsam, protect your delicate protruberance.

Iveco, if all goes well we'll have at least a couple more of these before the Summer's out, look forward to catching you on one of them.

Think my 'new' bike's ready at last, left the (fat) slicks on as it's been so dry recently - should be funny for everyone but me in a few sections!

One thing I should've mentioned is that you really don't want to be on road cleats if at all possible - there's plenty of offroad sections where you might need to unclip expediently and possibly even the odd short push, depending on how spritely you are/aren't feeling! :lol:

Carparking is free, but they have a bacon buttie window and halfway there's a cafe, so don't forget to pocket a few pennies for that. Plenty of water and maybe, just maybe, some suncream 8)

For the folks heading to our place at ten you might be lucky enough to get a bowl of Kiran's kedgeree along with your coffee... Assuming Carl hasn't arrived early and demolished it first :lol:

Look forward to seeing you all in the morning!

Author:  LongboardSi [ Sun May 20, 2018 5:33 am ]

Last minute bail from me - daughter has been sick in the night and that’s complicated today somewhat. Have great ride

Author:  elPedro666 [ Sun May 20, 2018 7:40 am ]

LongboardSi wrote:
Last minute bail from me - daughter has been sick in the night and that’s complicated today somewhat. Have great ride

Very sorry to hear that Si, hope she's feeling better today.

That's all three singlespeeders out now; all with legitimate excuses but regardless there's no way I'll be letting that go without some cheap abuse! :P

Author:  elPedro666 [ Sun May 20, 2018 7:46 am ]

To answer my own question, Ken's bike build thread has now evolved into the LEJOG ride thread with loads of lovely pictures 8)

Ride proper starts on page 5:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=380684

Author:  legrandefromage [ Sun May 20, 2018 7:57 am ]

bleurgh... <snots> have a good one

Author:  elPedro666 [ Sun May 20, 2018 9:20 am ]

Just sayin' 8)

Don't forget the suncream!

Attachments:
Screenshot_20180520-092002.png
Screenshot_20180520-092002.png [ 127.45 KiB | Viewed 861 times ]

Author:  Mike Muz 67 [ Sun May 20, 2018 10:37 pm ]

How did the ride go today then?

Author:  bhill22 [ Mon May 21, 2018 7:09 am ]

Brilliant, really good day out

Author:  jackosbournesnr [ Mon May 21, 2018 7:18 am ]

bhill22 wrote:

Thats a relief! Was beginning to wonder if there'd been some sort of disaster!

Author:  elPedro666 [ Mon May 21, 2018 9:59 am ]

jackosbournesnr wrote:
bhill22 wrote:

Thats a relief! Was beginning to wonder if there'd been some sort of disaster!

There may have been a touch of both! :lol:

Pretty epic day in the end, with everyone except Martin (who was at work crack of dawn Sunday) taking the A line and opting for the extra mileage that came with starting from our gaff in Stockport, this turned into quite the full day out!

As the turn out was a highly capable looking line up of machinery we opted for the full off-road experience at almost every juncture, giving wrists, brake pads and granny gears a complete physical and metaphorical shake-down.

As always - and I make no apology for banging this drum regularly - the day was made special by the riders:
Martin was epically over-geared, under-braked and over-worked
Carl epically whiskey-fuelled
Colin epically rode an extra fifteen(?) mile round trip from home
Gav was epically underprepared with work stealing all his riding time this year, but still epically unstoppable
and Kiran was epically late, arriving at the end for ice-cream and the razz home through our local woodsy bits :lol:

Despite the rocky abuse of relatively road-friendly equipment we survived the day with no mechanicals, not even a pinch flat, a few close calls and just the one *cough* minor tumble...
The bike was fine.

Exhausted, sun-kissed, fed on homemade pies, tarts, cake & ice-cream, plastered in dust and sweat; I'm happy to call that a success! From a personal perspective I really enjoy showing off what I think of as my local trails, with a bit of luck no one got too bored with the excited blatherings about various views and landmarks...

So with that in the bag, I'd like to suggest that we do two or three more of these style rides before the year is out, I know Martin has a route in mind further east into the Peaks, Gav has one taking shape along the North coast of Wales and Dan mentioned the possibility of lanes and canals around Stoke - to my mind that's the makings of a cracking mini-series. If anyone can add to that list I know I'd love to head over and check out some new views and cafes, sure a few others would too 8)

Photos to follow, but undisputed Bike of the Ride winner has to be Martin's glorious Hardisty 8)

Looking forward to doing it all again soon!

Attachments:
IMG_20180521_095716_407.jpg
IMG_20180521_095716_407.jpg [ 208.05 KiB | Viewed 841 times ]

Author:  Mike Muz 67 [ Mon May 21, 2018 4:29 pm ]

Well done for organizing and feeding the northern masses! Wish I could have joined you, but I was busy getting double punctures, resulting in a second race, dan saaaaaaf!

Looking forward to more pichurs! :wink:

Mike

Author:  Easy_Rider [ Mon May 21, 2018 11:28 pm ]

Fantastic day! Great work Pete putting this route together, it’s an understatement how much willpower it took to get round being epically unfit, but the route, the bike (cheers for the lone!) and the company got me round.
And yes I should put a North Wales route together!

Author:  LongboardSi [ Tue May 22, 2018 8:48 am ]

Bit gutted I missed it. Maybe I should put my own route together, and try not to bail out of that one...

Author:  elPedro666 [ Tue May 22, 2018 12:21 pm ]

LongboardSi wrote:
Bit gutted I missed it. Maybe I should put my own route together, and try not to bail out of that one...

Hope your daughter's feeling better now.

That'd be great - you probably know the Peaks better than me anyway, but happy to help with piecing things together if I can 8)

Author:  LongboardSi [ Thu May 24, 2018 12:38 am ]

Yeah - just random throwing up in the night incident.

Gonna try and do the overnighter on 23/24 June first, but that’ll be proper MTB stuff (even if they don’t have gears).
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=383597

I’ll try to come up with a Sheffield ish route though, for a bit later on, quite possibly incorporating ice cream... http://www.ourcowmolly.co.uk

Author:  elPedro666 [ Thu May 24, 2018 5:44 am ]

LongboardSi wrote:
Yeah - just random throwing up in the night incident.

Gonna try and do the overnighter on 23/24 June first, but that’ll be proper MTB stuff (even if they don’t have gears).
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=383597

I’ll try to come up with a Sheffield ish route though, for a bit later on, quite possibly incorporating ice cream... http://www.ourcowmolly.co.uk

Glad to hear it! And then immediately on to the idea of ice-cream...

Gav managed to incorporate an ice-cream farm into a Chester ride a while back, absolutely brilliant idea I reckon! There's another not too far from here: I feel another tenuous series in the offing... :lol:

Bit ignorant of the joys of Sheffield, would be well up for an explore 8)

Author:  LongboardSi [ Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:25 pm ]

Could maybe work the ice cream into the overnighted - it would probably mean a bit more road, but probably no bad thing for a long ride...