Retro road bike rides around Carlisle anyone up for it

kingbling

rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi all
Its time for a change of scenery and I'm moving back to Cumbria. Looking at the area group it seems that not too much happens up here on the road scene. So if I can plan a 30-40 mile flatish route which I've got the bones of, does anyone what to join me in a retro road bike ride up around the back of Carlisle based on the No 72 cycle route around Easter time. :D

Re:

I'd be up for that. There are a few others in the North West Area who ride on the road too.

Re:

Sounds good, logistics permitting I'd be very keen to join you :)

As for organising it; name your start place and time, perhaps include a nice cafe around 1/2 - 2/3 distance (or at the end if that doesn't fit in) and post it up here with the details above (flattish, forty miles). Maybe a nice picture!

DSP is a dab hand at shepherding the ride itself and I'd be happy to sweep (being likely to be at the rear anyway).

You're kinda there already! ;)

I've check out the milage 37.5 pretty flatish and have a midway stopping point for which I'd be happy to provided refreshments at Tea/Coffee/Water and home made CAKE ! :D
Just trying to find a suitable meeting point and will have to check tidal times to determine best date for the ride don't really want to ride in 3 foot of water :shock:

Re:

Have a look at some of the announcement threads in this section for an idea of what sort of information people like to have about a ride.

Here's one here: --> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=321508 and another: --> viewtopic.php?f=30&t=319325

You don't need to include as much detail as those ones, but duration and a meeting point are definitely needed.

Happy to help out on the ride itself and more than happy to put up an announcement in the NWA sub forum.
Just let us know some details a couple of weeks in advance of the ride you have planned and we'll go from there.

kingbling":3mn28o5q said:
Just trying to find a suitable meeting point and will have to check tidal times to determine best date for the ride don't really want to ride in 3 foot of water :shock:

Does that mean it'll take in the coast road between Silloth and Maryport? I do hope so, it's a great bit of riding up there.

Hi Paul thanks for the advice
It's not that stretch as its a bit far out was more thinking Carlisle to Kirkbride then get on to the coast road heading back to Anthorn, Bowness on Solway, Port Carlisle then back into Carlisle. Did a double check on the milage and it is 36miles was maybe thinking of streching it out to 40 it takes me at present just under 3hrs to complete it ( I'm not in great shape at present but working on that bit). the wind is predomantly south westerly and can be quite strong so no matter which direction its run in you have to deal with it. I just think that the views over the Solway will detract attention from the wind (I hope). Date wise I am thinking of the Saturday 26th of March

Clive

Back