Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

NWA regional ride: Coniston & Grizedale ~ 22/09/13
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=270144

Author:  drystonepaul [ Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:00 am ]
Post subject:  NWA regional ride: Coniston & Grizedale ~ 22/09/13

NWA regional ride: The Lake District ~ Coniston and Grizedale (a re-run)

:: Date: Sunday 22nd September 2013
:: Distance/time: 18 - 22 miles / 5-6 hours riding (depending on pace and various route options)
:: Meeting at: The Bluebird Cafe. Car park on Lake Road just to the south of Coniston at 10:00am for 10:30am start.
:: Directions: Grid Ref: SD308970 ~ Postcode: Cumbria LA21 8AN

The Lake District National ride was cancelled earlier in the year due to excessive amounts of snow, but there was always talk of a re-visit later in the year.
Well here it is. With the Lake District road ride taking place on the Saturday, this ride will be ideal for anyone who wants to make a weekend of it. Or you can just come up for the Sunday and still get a great day's riding in.

:: Terrain: Rocky and natural Lake District singletrack and trails with some climbs and great descents. It also uses sections of the North Face Trail in Grizedale Forest.
This route avoids the really big Lakeland mountains and, while challenging in places, is very suitable for riding on an a retro machine. Be prepared for the usual changeable Lake District weather. There are some short road sections but the route is mostly off road. A few technical sections and plenty of glorious views and fast descents.
There are also easy to follow short cut options for anyone who is struggling.

:: No Helmet :: No Ride

High Tilberthwaite

:: Route Description: This route has a great mix of natural trails, forest singletrack and incredible Lakeland views.
The ride starts at the Coniston Ferry landing. The Bluebird Cafe is a great place for a pre-ride coffee and bacon bap should you wish to get there early.

The route begins with some great singletrack and then a narrow lane up to High Tilberthaite. Then it's across past Hodge Close before turning west to Arnside Intake. From Knipe Fold the ride continues on some quiet lanes and to the edge of Grizedale Forest at High Cross. We'll join the North Face Trail and follow it down to the Visitor Centre for some food.
After some food we'll continue up to Lawson Park, before an optional extra section and then a great descent down and out of the forest to Bank Ground. Then it's a short roll back around the northern tip of Coniston Water back to the start point.

:: Accommodation: There are plenty of B&Bs in Coniston and several Youth Hostels nearby. There are also loads of other accommodation options in the Lake District for anyone wishing to make a weekend of it.

One of many great descents.

Last year's aftermath here: --> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=189138

See you there.

Author:  velomaniac [ Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NWA regional ride: Coniston & Grizedale ~ 22/09/13

RIGHT THATS IT, THATS REALLY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First run of this and you cancel it from beneath my feet all because of a wee bit of the white stuff leaving me looking foolish outside the Bluebird Cafe with my Neon Pink retrobike. Now you rerun it when I'm on my hols at the Loopallu music festival in Ullapool as far away as you can get.
I know you dont like me because I smell but could you be less obvious about it :x

:wink: :lol:

Author:  FluffyChicken [ Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:44 pm ]

Author:  velomaniac [ Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:59 pm ]

See, See, it was only a wee bit snowy. Admittedly a Fluffychicken was there but he was hiding his disgust of my pungent aroma quite well, the rest of you were to in horror to come near me................HHAARRRUMFFFFFFFF

:wink:

Author:  elPedro666 [ Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:50 pm ]

His nostrils were frozen

Author:  drystonepaul [ Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:54 pm ]

Are you in or out on this one Pete?

Author:  elPedro666 [ Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:05 pm ]

drystonepaul wrote:
Are you in or out on this one Pete?

Have to check with my dad as it's possibly his birthday weekend, but I'm fairly confident for the Sunday, Saturday more in the balance...

Will let you know as soon as I can pin him down!

Author:  drystonepaul [ Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:52 pm ]

Okay good. I don't really want to be staying over if there's nobody to ride with on Sunday.

Not that I mind riding on my own at all...

Author:  Rich Aitch [ Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:35 pm ]

Sorry I won't be able to grace you all with my presence, I'll be among those less fortunate than ourselves this weekend (That is I'll be visiting Larndarn, innit).
Enjoy yourselves.

Author:  Rich Aitch [ Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:37 pm ]

drystonepaul wrote:
Okay good. I don't really want to be staying over if there's nobody to ride with on Sunday.

Not that I mind riding on my own at all...

Hope it's not just you Paul, riding along talking to yourself wouldn't suit you!

Author:  drystonepaul [ Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:27 pm ]

So far it's looking like:

Me
UncleJack
Elpedro666
mr_ship

Anyone else who may be there please so so on this thread.

Author:  drystonepaul [ Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:29 pm ]

drystonepaul wrote:
So far it's looking like:

Me
UncleJack
Elpedro666
mr_ship

Anyone else who may be there please say so on this thread.

Author:  mr_ship [ Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:48 pm ]

Yep, I'll be there. It's a great route :D May not be retro though may go FAT :?:

Author:  elPedro666 [ Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:47 pm ]

Fat Rich?
As in FAT???
As opposed to Fat Chance? :wink:

That's going to look awesome in your frame size, should be great fun steamrollering over that Lakeland rock too! :D

I'm umming over what I've got a fighting chance of getting ready in time...

So nothing new there then!

Author:  mr_ship [ Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:14 am ]

A fantastic ride yesterday. 22.8 miles and 3300 ft of climbing Colin :D Cheers Paul.

Author:  elPedro666 [ Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:57 am ]

Anyone else feel like they'd been exfoliated with a cheese grater at the end?

Aside from that and my Mobi blowing it's fuse again :x it wasn't far off a perfect day I'd say! 8)

The scenery, the incredible riding, the scenery... Even the visitor centre lunch was reasonable! :o

No mechanicals, no punctures, no crashes (I don't think?), some great bikes, free parking, tea and Tiffin by the water to finish, just superb all round :D

Some heroic efforts being put in after a brutal National Road ride the day before too - massive respect to all who managed both days!

Author:  drystonepaul [ Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:22 am ]

Thanks.

It was a perfect day for riding yesterday and I always love that particular route. It has such a good combination of natural trails and purpose built stuff.
I'm glad that our small band of riders enjoyed it.

The road ride on Saturday had less favourable weather. It didn't really rain but we spent most of the day riding in low cloud on wet and slippery roads. This probably sounds worse than it was.

The slightly extended route (due to my navigational ineptitude) meant that we actually did just over 47 miles and would have exceeded the 5760ft of climbing the planned route took in.

I was happy to have managed to ride up all the steep passes including the brutally unforgiving Wrynose climb from the east.

With all that climbing in my legs I was surprisingly fresh on Sunday. It's just a shame that it sounded like there were a pair of mating hippos obliviously snoring their way through the night in the Youth Hostel.
Sleep deprivation seems to be an all too common theme with Retrobike rides.

A great weekend though.

Author:  bhill22 [ Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:14 pm ]

A most enjoyable weekend, enriched by the contrasts of two days, road and iffy weather, mtb and fine day.
Big thx to Paul for leading both days and to all the rest you missed a fab weekend

I had to walk some of the passes but as I had not done that before I did not mind :wink:

Author:  drystonepaul [ Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:37 pm ]

Only one photo from the top of The Park above Coniston Water.

Taking in the view at the end of a good day's riding.

Author:  elPedro666 [ Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:04 am ]

That detour was a wonderful idea - apart from adding in a sweet little descent, it was great to sit and chill with that incredible view and Colin's delicious chocolate, savouring the great riding we'd already done ... and knowing that all was left was the phenomenal descent all the way down to the water below 8) magic moments!

Author:  Uncle Monty [ Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:20 pm ]

I woke up Sunday and much to my surprise I could move my legs! Even bigger surprise when I looked out the window and saw sunshine. Repeat performance of Saturday - breakfast, put MTB together and off to the Bluebird cafe. I was met by a slightly jaded and sleep deprived pair of retrobikers. Seems the snoring chorus were in the same youth hostel dorm!
Soon we were joined by elPedro, Mr Ship and his phenomenal fat bike - those tyres just roar and the tearing noise over the rough stuff is terrifying! A really good fun route followed with some great climbs. I was phased by some of the terrain - I am just not used to rocks and slate. The quarry was pretty awesome - big scary hole in the ground and I wasn't going anywhere near the edge.
We climbed (climbing featured a lot over the weekend) over to the edge of Grizedale and from the fire roads dropped into some of the red routes of what I assume is the North Face Trail. These are terrific fun on a retro, I even got a bit of air! The visitor centre was to be my final stop for a bite to eat. The command module met me, bike packed into the car and we headed back South. Arrived home about 9 pm.

Sorry I had to split at lunchtime guys and thanks for such a fantastic weekends riding. I will certainly be going back and am looking forward to the Forest of Dean.

All the best: Chris.

Author:  drystonepaul [ Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:00 am ]

Really glad that you could make it along for the weekend Chris.
It's a shame you missed out on the riding after the lunch stop. I'm sure you would've enjoyed the climb all the way back up to the top of Grizedale Forest.

The decent was ace though.

See you at the FoD.

Author:  bhill22 [ Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:29 pm ]

A good day in good company

The picture below was the view they enjoyed :wink:

Attachments:
P1040172.JPG
P1040172.JPG [ 105.34 KiB | Viewed 979 times ]
P1040169.JPG
P1040169.JPG [ 97.24 KiB | Viewed 979 times ]