Tour of Pen y Ghent tips please

Kerplunk

Senior Retro Guru
Posted this in the Yorks section but was pointed over here. Planning to do the Tour of Pen y Ghent in a couple of weeks time. Got the route sorted and we're starting from Litton rather than Horton so just after a few pointers really as to what to expect.

I assume you mean this route: --> http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/outand ... -penyghent

I wasn't aware that this had been published as a 'classic' route when I did it a couple of years ago. I just laid out an OS map and worked out a loop from Stainforth while I was away on a short holiday.

Anyway, I remember that the section across Foxup Moor was very boggy and hard going, and this was during a relatively dry summer.
I followed the loop clockwise, as on the route map, and stayed on the BW and road to the north of Hesleden Beck. This was a dull climb across a grassy field, so perhaps the longer route on the road through Halton Gill which takes in the southern track would be a better option, especially as you're starting from Litton.
The track past Churn Milk Hole was okay and leads to a long straight downhill on a typically Dales walled track.

I believe the BWs and tracks to the north of Austwick are meant to be good although I've never had a chance to ride them.

Yeah, that's the route. Basically starting at point 5 and going clockwise. Was hoping to hear that the boggy bit wouldn't be so bad at this time of year. The last few weeks lack of cycling is going to cost me dear.

Well that was fun! Everything was going well until we reached that boggy section. The path whilst obvious for the first 200m suddenly become less obvious. In fact, the path you're meant to take is only clear once you've gone back down it. It's really easy to miss...especially in the conditions we had. We had to call a halt because time was ticking on. Up until that point it had been a mixture of endurance, frustration and lot's of concentration.

The rocks with the rain (and first rain for a while) meant it was like cycling on marble. It was impossible to cycle out of Litton up the single track. After a while, once the rain had covered everything it was a case of ploughing through and gaining as much momentum as you could to keep steady and not slip off. That was a lot of fun and a really good stretch of the legs. You guys up north are very fortunate to have such excellent climbs; they really make my Kent / Surrey hills look like bumps.

Thankfully the Manomano kept it together and was a lot of fun to ride. Thank goodness 6foot had his chain link tool otherwise his chain-snapping moment would have resulted in a VERY long walk home.

l6tq.jpg

COME ON 6FOOT!

r95z.jpg

9rn1.jpg

1lf2.jpg

trcb.jpg

Luckily we didn't drop off...

evtz.jpg

Averting the ride meant 10 miles of tarmac which in any other situation would be rubbish. Instead we got a lung busting climb and a fantastic 2-3 mile decent down the Dale back to Litton.

There's always next time...

Those photos make it look a lot brighter than I remember... We went about 2/3 the way round Pen y Ghent and I've still got no idea what the top of it actually looks like. On a nice dry day its probably a really nice ride, when its wet and you're struggling with a bad back it became a bit of a slog and I was bit of a dead weight for Al. Its all character building and Al learnt an important lesson about always taking a waterproof jacket just in case when you venture north of Watford Gap. Thank god for having a multi-tool with a decent chain tool on it.

Looks like a normal day in the Dales to me.
Good effort to get out there. I did have better weather when I did the route so the limestone was dry. I forgot to mention that wet limestone is like ice.

Your photo of Hull Pot looks very dry. I guess we have had a good summer afterall.

al-onestare":39jbph2t said:
You guys up north are very fortunate to have such excellent climbs; they really make my Kent / Surrey hills look like bumps.

Yeah, when my southern mates talk about conquering Ditchling Beacon on the London to Brighton ride as though they've climbed Everest I do chuckle.
They don't believe me when I tell them that the climb from the bottom of my road (where I live) to the top is about the same altitude gain.
Then you keep climbing for another 20 minutes before you reach the proper hills.

Kerplunk":j9649hnt said:
Those photos make it look a lot brighter than I remember... We went about 2/3 the way round Pen y Ghent and I've still got no idea what the top of it actually looks like. On a nice dry day its probably a really nice ride, when its wet and you're struggling with a bad back it became a bit of a slog and I was bit of a dead weight for Al. Its all character building and Al learnt an important lesson about always taking a waterproof jacket just in case when you venture north of Watford Gap. Thank god for having a multi-tool with a decent chain tool on it.

The thing is, I'm glad I didn't bring my jacket because I was boiling. It looks proper cold but it wasn't when we were moving. Plus by the time I got back to Litton I was dry...well the top half anyway! Don't be too hard on the dead weight bit...change your chainset and wheels and you'll be a rocket ;-)

drystonepaul":hvbhw718 said:
Yeah, when my southern mates talk about conquering Ditchling Beacon on the London to Brighton ride as though they've climbed Everest I do chuckle.
They don't believe me when I tell them that the climb from the bottom of my road (where I live) to the top is about the same altitude gain.
Then you keep climbing for another 20 minutes before you reach the proper hills.

Totally agree. We've got nothing down these parts in comparison but it's still grim up north so I'll stay here ;-)

Latest posts

Back