NWA: Roman Lakes and Mellor Moor ~ 12, 8, 12 Aftermath

mrlee

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Well you know how these start, usually a text from pete about 10.30 dealing with the curry from the night before :LOL:
eventually we set off for new mills on some country lanes and a bit of singletrack, then we climb up to the peak forest canal and before we know it we are at new mills.
With a quick stop to look around the old mills in the gorge,

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

and breifly fix our first puncture, a roofing tack the &*$%ards.
Now its a quick blast round the millenium bridge we are faced with a monster climb up and over the golf club, soon we are descending down the bridals and up up and more up to the start of the little mill downhill :cool:

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

with a couple of offs including my mate karl (yacky flappy elbow skin )its pub time.

We order food from Lurch at the bar and after about two days and a storm we eat and drink ready for more climbs,
(I had the burger and chips with a pint of coke, yummy.)
With a quick burst up the roads its time to say good bye to rufusw and cornholio's RC200, as they head off down through Mellor to Marple bridge
we have already decided to have another trip to the pub, right then its off to the Fox inn we backtrack slightly to reach the white stone downhill and descend down to the pub.
Beer.....

Only two more climbs now and then the classic last descent down to the start, but where is everyone? me and Karl start walking back up and we come across a punctured muddy fox, with all hands on deck the pinch flat is fixed so I mount my steed only to find I have picked up a thorn and now have a flat too, I had to pump it back up so I could whizz back to the car (I was determined not to fix it).

All in all it was a good days ride I had to add a bit extra (newmills) because one of the other classic descents from the fox was closed
so I hope you all enjoyed it, sorry for the lack of pics as I was busy keeping the train rolling.
A big thanks to Pete for rear gunning and those whom held the gates for us etc, happy trails :)

Lee.

Looked ace. Really sad to have had to miss this one.

Which pubs did you visit? I recognise the Little Mill Inn at Rowarth, what was the other one...? The Fox...?

I really enjoyed actually getting out for a change. Nice mix of machines and terrain. Took two tumbles; one on the nasty steps when it goes into the trees (completely unscathed) and then a much more embarrassing classic "slow speed SPD" type fall at Marple train station of all places. Came off worse there...

Anyway, thanks to Lee for the route; I think a fine time was had by all :cool:

Easy_Rider":zzfc9amo said:
drystonepaul":zzfc9amo said:

The works "pike" "own" & "ride" were uttered a few times...

it wasn't Pauls ride it was sort of mine and Pete's :LOL: piking was from previous non-ventures :LOL:

mrlee":2rwfv5hy said:
Easy_Rider":2rwfv5hy said:
drystonepaul":2rwfv5hy said:

The works "pike" "own" & "ride" were uttered a few times...

it wasn't Pauls ride it was sort of mine and Pete's :LOL: piking was from previous non-ventures :LOL:

The shit sticks eh? :LOL:

Tad harsh perhaps... ;)

Great day out, dodging the showers in the pub(s) was a masterstroke and the descents around here are spectacular! :cool: Sure there'll be a return very soon Martin, don't worry. I'm even starting to piece the hills together slowly, although I'm a way off leading anything around here yet so any chance to explore...

Big thanks to mrlee for getting us all round safely :mrgreen:

elPedro666":1z9w99dh said:
Tad harsh perhaps... ;)

Yeah perhaps. With only a week's notice it wasn't surprising I'd already had other plans made for me.

See you all in Scotland...

Nice pics mrlee :cool:
I would like to revisit the area too, maybe this time I'll avoid coming down old hall lane in the car...

Now that I stuck my oar in it will be me piking Scotland :oops:

Back