Not open for further replies.

HarryCrumb

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
NWA: Forest of Rossendale ~ A ride around and above Rawtenstall and Bacup

:: Date: Saturday 29th January 2011
:: Distance/time: 15 Miles with shortcut options/approx 4-5hrs including stops.
:: Meeting at: 10am , ride starts at 10:30. FREE long stay carpark by the cricket ground. Postcode: BB4 7ND
:: Directions: click here for start location
:: Terrain: Will be updated after route recce.

The ride will be close to 15 miles with options for more or less available. We will ride out of the valley past Bacup and up onto the moors looping over the Clough Bottom Reservoir and back down into Rawtenstall via the Pennine Bridleway. I have two additional bolt ons which may be thrown into the route depending on how my solo recce goes on Sat.

Depending on the timings I get from the recce we will either have the customary mid way pub stop or we will stock up on the return to Rawtenstall like we did on the Rivington Ride.

A few more details of the terrain etc following this weekends recce.

The day of my Birthday celebrations, afraid I'll be well into a bottle of something evil by the time you're rolling back into the valley :(/:twisted:

I'll steal the route sometime though, or maybe someone can memorise it & show me around... ;)

Another Saturday of rain, but due to the weekends running out, I had to get out and do the recce for this ride. I set off at 12:50 from the carpark. Some of the wettest conditions I have ridden off road in. I decided to use a modern rig, as I was on my own and I didn't want to hang around. I completed the loop in 3 hours on 4 slices of toast just stopping for route checks and the pics.

The start of the route is quite tame, but only in terrain terms as you are climbing out of the valley. It then moves on to a mixture of rocky/muddy/grassy/boggy bridleways and old pack horse tracks.

Here are a few pics to wet the appetite

The Car Park view
P1150505.jpg

Lane or River?
P1150510.jpg

Nice Pack Horse Trail
P1150514.jpg

Bleak The View from the Trig Point
P1150517.jpg

So I take it it was wet then...? At least that titanium Rock Lobster won't rust.

Cheers for the update Martin. I'm still looking forward to the ride although I'll keep my fingers crossed for some drier weather.

drystonepaul":1y8gy16p said:
So I take it it was wet then...? At least that titanium Rock Lobster won't rust.

Cheers for the update Martin. I'm still looking forward to the ride although I'll keep my fingers crossed for some drier weather.

It was very wet and in a sick way quite good at times? There was one single track up hill which was like a stream which I especially enjoyed.

I think I have a pub stop pencilled in also via a small road diversion close to half way, so that's sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back