Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Thetford National Road Trip...
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=130940

Author:  elPedro666 [ Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Thetford National Road Trip...

Rd 2 - Thetford - Jan 23rd (Sunday)

It's been brought to my attention that Thetford is actually a 'bloody long way' from this end/side of the country, about 200miles & four hours, give or take. So at the end of the Chicken Chaser Martin (HarryCrumb) and I had wondered about getting a few likely individuals together to spread the cost and make it more of Big Day Out. Or even make a weekend of it perhaps?

We suggested either a couple of cars (perhaps one with people and I can carry 5-6 bikes without too much trouble), or even renting a mini-bus (with a roofrack or trailer?). Anyone donating the works van would obviously be well rewarded! :wink:

Very much just testing to see who'd be keen, but guess we'd need to get sorted pretty sharpish!

So, who's game...? :twisted:

Author:  Charlieboy28 [ Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

Im game, though cash is gonna be tight at that point of the month,

think my car would make it but would struggle fully loaded and would like to see what this thetford is all about :wink:

Author:  sinnett177 [ Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm just going for the day, but have space for 1 additional bike and rider if required. I'll give mr_ship first dibs as we usually travel together and alternate cars. Will keep you posted if the place becomes available.

Author:  HarryCrumb [ Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think a roll call on who is going from the West would be good, then we'll have an idea on how things could be worked out etc.

I can prob only spare one day for this trip, so it's going to have to be an early set off I think.

I 've been to Wellingborough to the drag strip every year for the last 13 years and that journey takes 2 and a half hours.

Its 1 and a half hours from Kettering to Thetford so 4 hours each way is about right I think.

From Preston that is.

Author:  drystonepaul [ Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm up for the trip.
Google maps is giving the journey as 3 1/2 hours each way from Macclesfield.
It would be a there and back in the day for me too.

I can fit 12 people and 20 bikes in my enormous vehicle.

Oh no sorry I can't...

Author:  elPedro666 [ Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:29 pm ]
Post subject: 

drystonepaul wrote:
I'm up for the trip.
Google maps is giving the journey as 3 1/2 hours each way from Macclesfield.
It would be a there and back in the day for me too.

I can fit 12 people and 20 bikes in my enormous vehicle.

Oh no sorry I can't...

:lol: :lol:

I was getting 4 hours from town, so that's about the same I guess. Looking like £60 of diesel in my banger, but I can do four peeps & bikes in relative comfort. Stereo's expired though... :cry:

Currently thinking of collecting Charlieboy on route, so that leaves two seats from this end.

Author:  elPedro666 [ Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

HarryCrumb wrote:
I think a roll call on who is going from the West would be good, then we'll have an idea on how things could be worked out etc.

I can prob only spare one day for this trip, so it's going to have to be an early set off I think.

Seems a sensible way forward, and day trip seems to be the popular choice.
Probables so far then:

Me :roll:
Harry Crumb
DSP
Woody
CharlieBoy
Brocklanders? (and therefore Beavis...? :P :lol: )

Roll up folks, book a seat! 8)

Author:  giant-one [ Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:46 am ]
Post subject: 

Sorry chaps. Myself and Beavis are out. :(

Author:  HarryCrumb [ Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

Pete

Can I reserve a seat in your wagon please, and come to you and leave my not so economic Golf near your place?

Author:  elPedro666 [ Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

HarryCrumb wrote:
Pete

Can I reserve a seat in your wagon please, and come to you and leave my not so economic Golf near your place?

You can put in my space in the garage, keep it dry & warm :wink:

Author:  HarryCrumb [ Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

elPedro666 wrote:
You can put in my space in the garage, keep it dry & warm

cheers Pete

Author:  Woody [ Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

If someone can wedge skinny me and my bike into there car i'll happily contribute to fuel costs and maybe flapjack treats for the journey!! :wink:

Author:  mr_ship [ Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm afraid I won't be making this, back to work next week for 2 weeks at least :cry: so mark might have space for you Woody.

Author:  drystonepaul [ Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

Woody wrote:
If someone can wedge skinny me and my bike into there car i'll happily contribute to fuel costs and maybe flapjack treats for the journey!! :wink:

Deal. :)

Author:  elPedro666 [ Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

Woody wrote:

Will drive for flapjacks... 8) :lol:

Author:  elPedro666 [ Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:21 pm ]
Post subject: 

Gah - beat me to it! :lol:

mr_ship wrote:
I'm afraid I won't be making this, back to work next week for 2 weeks at least :cry: so mark might have space for you Woody.

Sorry to hear that - are you sure you're not just standing guard at the letterbox in case that gorgeous green thing arrives...? :wink: Looking forward to seeing you out on it in the Spring 8)

Mark, space for you to join us (or us you, if your car's bigger/nicer/has a stereo) if it'll make life easier/cheaper? Seems a shame to fly solo that far! :D

Author:  elPedro666 [ Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

giant-one wrote:
Sorry chaps. Myself and Beavis are out. :(

Shame, will do something local soon though :) Any word from Brock?

Author:  drystonepaul [ Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:45 pm ]
Post subject: 

So who's in with you then Pete? Four bikes, four people, no stereo.

Sounds like Martin and Charlieboy are already in with you which leaves one space in your car.

This leaves Sinnett, Woody and Myself.
I reckon Mr K may well be there too.

Sounds also like Sinnett is driving the whole way down like another long haul trucker on coffee and amphetamines. He'll probably make the whole journey in one sitting, wearing his full all-in-one Alpinestars lycra body stocking and helmet without even blinking once.

I don't mind driving down in my car but only have room for one other bike and one other person. Woody has first dibs on this as he's in Macc too, and he's bringing flapjacks and I have a stereo. My car is made of plastic though.

So who's in with who then...?

Author:  elPedro666 [ Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:59 pm ]
Post subject: 

Something like this then?

Me
Harry Crumb
CharlieBoy
Mr K

DSP
Woody

Mark

Although if CharlieBoy will forgive me, it would make more sense to bundle the flying yellow condom in with us & do the shorter trip from Brum solo? Then meet at the cafe on the A14 (trust the fat trucker! 8) ) and maybe move someone in with Charlie to spread the load :D

Author:  drystonepaul [ Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

It almost seems as though we have a plan forming here.

Whereabouts and what sort of time were you thinking for a second breakfast stop on the A14?

Author:  HarryCrumb [ Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

A second breakfast!

It looks like a plan, we just need confirmation of times and what CharlieBoy's plans are

Pete you can pm me your address so I can get my route sorted and travel timings.

Author:  sinnett177 [ Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

drystonepaul wrote:
Sounds also like Sinnett is driving the whole way down like another long haul trucker on coffee and amphetamines. He'll probably make the whole journey in one sitting, wearing his full all-in-one Alpinestars lycra body stocking and helmet without even blinking once.

A Yorkie, a packet of chewing gum and a can of cheap Asda Red Bull and i'll be there. Happy to pick someone up on route so long as its not too much of a diversion (long day as it is), have estate car and stereo will travel.

Author:  elPedro666 [ Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:57 am ]
Post subject: 

HarryCrumb wrote:
A second breakfast!

Never too many!

HarryCrumb wrote:
Pete you can pm me your address so I can get my route sorted and travel timings.

Right in the middle of town, Liverpool Road, next to MOSI 8)

Author:  elPedro666 [ Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:58 am ]
Post subject: 

drystonepaul wrote:
Whereabouts and what sort of time were you thinking for a second breakfast stop on the A14?

Can't remember if it's J1 or 2, one I think... :oops: Would be about halfway so about seven I guess.

Author:  mrlee [ Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sorry for late arrival lads count me in I also have a spare Moocow heated stereo,d fully adjustable chair in the hurse if it helps ,
P.s I might smell of baby sick sorry :wink:

*edit* kaya,s taken the front seat 8)

Author:  KevD [ Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hmmm

Anyone any space? dont think I can afford a 350mile round trip without sharing fuel costs!

edit i'm north east of manchester, todmorden.

Author:  elPedro666 [ Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:43 pm ]
Post subject: 

Kev Duckworth wrote:
Hmmm

Anyone any space? dont think I can afford a 350mile round trip without sharing fuel costs!

Can squeeze you in my shitheap banger if you can get yourself into Manchester, possibly on the Saturday night for pasta binging if you like? :lol:

Will need to deviate someone else to Brum for Charlieboy though, Mr.Lee perhaps...? :shock: Wasn't expecting you get day-release so soon Mr.Lee, great news! :D

Author:  HarryCrumb [ Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Have we got a final roll call of who is going down in what etc and are we meeting for the drive down together

Woody and Paul in the Smart
Pete plus HarryCrumb.......
Mark plus...
Mr Lee plus....

Author:  kaya [ Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

elPedro666 wrote:
Kev Duckworth wrote:
Hmmm

Can squeeze you in my shitheap banger if you can get yourself into Manchester, possibly on the Saturday night for pasta binging if you like? :lol:

Will need to deviate someone else to Brum for Charlieboy though, Mr.Lee perhaps...? :shock: Wasn't expecting you get day-release so soon Mr.Lee, great news! :D

Im in with MrLee so not sure there will be room :roll: :wink:

Author:  elPedro666 [ Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

I can lend a roof rack if he's got cross bars... :wink:

Author:  KevD [ Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

Getting anywhere from Leeds-Liverpool east/west and Preston- Macc North/South is doable for me, if theres room. If I could find the tow-bar "block" for the pendle rack I would offer to take 4 in my BMW Estate, but 3 is a squeeze with no rack 2 in comfort really is all that i can manage and 30mpg doesn't really work that well. :(

Author:  elPedro666 [ Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well if it comes to it we three can pile in up here and I'll fit a roof rack too so Charlieboy will just be a bit of a squeeze... :lol:

Best not take too much kit though!

Author:  Dr S [ Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

Kev, if you can get to the M18/A1 junction (there are services there Iirc) then you can hitch a lift with Simonside and me in the Yellow Peril. Its a whopping 287miles each way for us and we will be leaving early- we should be passing around 6:45/7:00am, or maybe stuffing our faces with dead meat and eggs.

Offer of a lift goes to anyone who can get to the A1.

Author:  KevD [ Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
Kev, if you can get to the M18/A1 junction (there are services there Iirc) then you can hitch a lift with Simonside and me in the Yellow Peril. Its a whopping 287miles each way for us and we will be leaving early- we should be passing around 6:45/7:00am, or maybe stuffing our faces with dead meat and eggs.

Offer of a lift goes to anyone who can get to the A1.

If its going to be better for elpedro & co then yeah, I can get to Donny :) Its about an hour from where I am but brings the day into the realms of financial do-ability :)

What's the yellow peril, dare I ask?

Author:  Dr S [ Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sorry Kev, i meant the M62/A1 junction (i'm tired and hungry and my brain stopped working). Thats only 30mins from Todmorden so even better.

The yellow peril is nothing exotic i'm afraid- just a van.

Author:  KevD [ Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

PM'd

Thanks

Author:  drystonepaul [ Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:51 pm ]
Post subject: 

Cheers for helping out us NWs Si.

Is everyone sorted for a lift/transport now then?

By my reckoning so far we have:

~ Me and Woody in the Smart of Doom.
~ elPedro, HarryCumb and Charlieboy in the Banger of Near Certain Death.
~ MrLee and Kaya in the Frothing Estate Car of Satan's Spawn.
~ Kev Duckworth in with DrS and the Van of Perilous Yellow and Dead Meat Food Breaks.
~ Sinnett in the Titanium Estate Car of the Year of Impending Catastrophe with Stickers.

Not sure yet about MrK's plans are. But I reckon he needs to escape from his Cellar of Unreasonable amounts of Probable Chafing first.

Optional meet up for second or third breakfast on the A14 Kettering services between J7 and 8 from about 7am in the morning.

Thetford should be about another hour and a half down the road from there so I guess we'll need to hit the road again by 8am.

Crap that's an early, early start.

Author:  Dr S [ Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:22 am ]
Post subject: 

No worries DSP. Looking forward to seeing you guys again. It's been a while. :wink:

Author:  Sidewinder [ Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

If anyone from NW area's got a spare seat I'll come out of hibernation for this one :lol:

Author:  KevD [ Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sidewinder wrote:
If anyone from NW area's got a spare seat I'll come out of hibernation for this one :lol:

If you can get to "Shaw" junction on the M62 for 6:15am I'll take you to Ferrybridge to meet Dr S and Yellow Van of Peril

Author:  Dr S [ Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

Unless i can beg/borrow/steal a bike rack then i'm affraid the Yellow Peril is full. There is seating for six, but only room for 4 bikes. Sithlord is joining us now and has grabbed the last spot.

Author:  Sidewinder [ Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:56 pm ]
Post subject: 

No worries guys thanks for the offer Kev,I,m a last minute charlie as usual :wink:

Author:  KevD [ Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sidewinder wrote:
No worries guys thanks for the offer Kev,I,m a last minute charlie as usual :wink:

so was I, and wore out the pads on the magura's last night - so may have no back brake for the ride unless the ones I've just ordered arrive Sat! Good job is flat Norfolk rather than Whinlatter :twisted:

Author:  Dr S [ Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

I have a new set of magura pads somewhere. I will dig them out now and put them in the truck before i forget.

Author:  sinnett177 [ Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sidewinder wrote:

How close to the M6 can you get Dave? Its a 5 hour trip for me so wouldn't like to deviate off my route too much.

Author:  KevD [ Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dr S wrote:
I have a new set of magura pads somewhere. I will dig them out now and put them in the truck before i forget.

Even better :) Cheers :D

Author:  Dr S [ Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well, long day tommorrow, so had better get the truck loaded and get some kip. Safe journeys everyone, keep it shiny side up and last one out turn off the lights.

ROADTRIIIIIIIIIIIIP

Author:  Sidewinder [ Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

sinnett177 wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:

How close to the M6 can you get Dave? Its a 5 hour trip for me so wouldn't like to deviate off my route too much.

Many thanks for the offer Mark,am going to pass as I'm out at 4am Monday morning now with work (can't do two early starts at my age !) everyone have a great time tomorrow and seen you out soon :lol:

Author:  sinnett177 [ Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:20 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sidewinder wrote:
sinnett177 wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:

Many thanks for the offer Mark,am going to pass as I'm out at 4am Monday morning now with work (can't do two early starts at my age !) everyone have a great time tomorrow and seen you out soon :lol:

No worries Dave see you again soon.