'The Chicken Chaser' - post Chrimbo Ride Aftermath

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Instructed by our erstwhile NW leader to get the aftermath thread underway, mainly because he had a date with 'a friend' post-ride - no doubt in another of his dusky laybys...

I motored Arne up from Macclesfield toward the Cat and Fiddle only to encounter blizzard conditions and patches of drifting snow. By the summit the aged Swede was struggling for grip so I phoned DSP to advise. Thinking that we'd stuggle to dig the cars out of the car park in four or five hours time, discretion, unusually for us, became the better part of valour.

Kaya and his three car Italain Job team had also reached the summit, careering back down to Macclesfield mostly on footpaths and grass verges. At our new base camp, the already cold and wet Woody (thanks to being kicked out of the Kinderegg Kar on a bike rack technicality), DSP and I were joined by Pedro and family, set for a miserable day in the mists.

Once DSP had rebooted and reconfigured, he had the wacky racers trailing out to Whaley Bridge, were we made ready for the off. I greased my toes and fingers with a Deep Heat equivalent, pumped air into the Andy Powell and we were off - straight up a slippery incline. The heart cogitated, trying to process that extra Yorkshire pudding, struggling to get the congealed brandy butter coursing through my veins. A hearty cough kick started the circulation and we settled in to a modest rhythm against the bitter headwind.

I know not of the route but can record that it was 'up' for most of it. Any features of note were treated equally with the white stuff, rendering it all visually the same. Occasional ice sheets lay in wait like nature's own IEDs - but serious mishap was averted by the slovenly and cautious pace.

No other cyclists were seen in the four hour ride, only the living-alone walker-type, striding furiously into the low clouds. A few 4x4 planks were cavorting in their toys as we took the final leg over and down towards Buxton for man fuel. A decent chippy served up variations of pies and gravy, with Pedro attemting to eat most of them. The seven-strong riders voted unanimously for the BotR - which could only go, under the circumstances, to Mark Sinnett's road bike.

Once sated, we were invited to try Buxton's own tepid waters - but most were readying themselves for another drudge of a climb out of town. Chatter was down to the miniumum as the race against darkness became more serious. Kaya donned the mantle of Ice Queen, proving the most adept and fearless over the frozen stuff en route back to the cars.

All made it down safely, despite the onset of thigh cramps, where Pedro's relations waited patiently to give him and his bike the traditional al fresco bed bath.

Statistics:

Riders: 7
BotR: Sinnett's Road Bike
Mechanical Award: Pedro's carbon post
Bikes: GT; Kona Cinder Cone; Andy Powell; unbadged Saracen; Kona + Bombers; Ibis Alibi; Stumpjumper

'The Chicken Chaser ' - Cat & Fiddle, Buxton and the Goyt Valley ~ Monday 27th December 2010

With 'The Turkey Twizzler' postponed this was a hastily convened alternative ride around the snowy hills between Buxton and Macclesfield.

We had been meaning to start at the Cat and Fiddle Pub, but at an altitude of 515 metres (1690 ft), and with an overnight fall of fresh snow the road was a bit dicey so this was changed with a flurry of phone calls to just outside Whaley Bridge.

After a relocation convoy of vehicles, seven riders arrived to brave the elements. With temperatures hovering just above freezing, there was a respite from the much colder weather of the previous few weeks.
It was still wise to wrap up warm though.

NWA-GoytValley-December-01.jpg

The fearless adventurers line up in an icy lay-by.
L to R: elPedro666, Charlieboy28, Mr Kawafrosty, drystonepaul, Woody, HarryCrumb and kaya.

NWA-GoytValley-December-02.jpg

That'll do pig...

Waving goodbye to a friendly hog in a field we slid down the first icy track to ford the River Goyt. Fortunately a bridge was available for those with any sense of self preservation and no wet-suits. A short but ever so steep climb up past Taxal Church tested traction and cold legs early on, and then we headed north along a farm track towards the Goyt Valley reservoirs.

Sheet ice was a constant threat but the tracks were thankfully largely free of the deadly slippery stuff, with instead an inch or two of slushy snow offering reasonable amounts of grip along with a bit of energy sapping drag too.

NWA-GoytValley-December-03.jpg

A long and scenic snowy climb warmed us all up nicely.

After a few miles the gradient dropped down in our favour. Feathering brakes and careful line choice was a good option while scanning for ice on the rocky lanes.
Another spell of climbing brought us into the coniferous forest and some slightly deeper and more powdery snow. The forest track contoured along above Fernilee Reservior and brought us out amongst a group of walkers on the snowbound road.

NWA-GoytValley-December-04.jpg

NWA-GoytValley-December-05.jpg

NWA-GoytValley-December-06.jpg

Making the most of the fresh powder in the forest.

Mechanical of the ride was grasped by elPedro666 with his slipping carbon seatpost and seatclamp combination. Pete had the foresight to pack a spare alloy clamp too though and spent a couple of minutes waggling his allen keys at it while Mr K lubed up a squeaky jockey wheel.

NWA-GoytValley-December-07.jpg
NWA-GoytValley-December-08.jpg

Pete replaces plastic with good old fashioned metal on his Ibis

Onwards along the singletrack road we climbed without seeing a single vehicle in what is normally a bank holiday weekend honeypot area.
We did pass some friendly dog walkers, as we battled into the headwind.

Stopping at a frozen waterfall, it's curtain of ice was a spectacular backdrop for some photos.

NWA-GoytValley-December-09.jpg

The riders...

NWA-GoytValley-December-10.jpg

...and the bikes: drystonepaul's 1993 Snow White Saracen Retro-mod.

NWA-GoytValley-December-11.jpg

kaya's Kona Retro-mod

NWA-GoytValley-December-12.jpg

Charlieboy's 1998 GT

NWA-GoytValley-December-13.jpg

Woody's 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper M2

NWA-GoytValley-December-14.jpg

HarryCrumb's 1990 Kona CinderCone

NWA-GoytValley-December-15.jpg

elPedro666's Ibis Alibi Retro-mod

NWA-GoytValley-December-16.jpg

Mr Kawasnowy and his 1984 Andy Powell

Pressing on we reached Derbyshire bridge, the old historic boundary with Cheshire, and encountered some burly Land Rovers out for some fun in the snow.
Following their tracks we started following the old Buxton road over the moors. Reaching the highest point of the ride we paused for more photographs and to laugh at Mr K's ineffective brakes just before a lovely snow covered rocky descent into Buxton for a long overdue visit to the chip shop.

NWA-GoytValley-December-17.jpg

It's bleak up on them there t'hills

NWA-GoytValley-December-18.jpg

Locking up the bikes, we had great pleasure sitting inside and soaking up the warmth. We indulged in pies, chips and hot mugs of tea and coffee.
Pete enjoyed the pies so much he was well underway eating Charlie's before he realised it wasn't his.

The important business of deciding 'Bike of the Ride' also took place over the warming stodge. It was close, but HarryCrumb took away the honours yet again with his beautifully turned out 1990 Kona Cinder Cone, complete with a full Suntour XC-Pro groupset, grease-guard hubs and BB, and that stunning splatter paint job.
Mr K's Andy Powell could've claimed the prize but for that damned squeaky jockey wheel earlier in the ride.

The cold was more noticeable as we left the chippy and rolled down to the famous St. Anne's Well to fill up with warm Buxton spring water. The aptly named 'Long Hill' was a good warming climb out of the spa town back onto the moors.

NWA-GoytValley-December-19.jpg

NWA-GoytValley-December-20.jpg

Happy smiles at the end of a big climb and the start of a long descent

With the threat of darkness catching up with us we reached the final summit of the ride and braced ourselves for a long descent along a broken tarmac lane. The snow concealed many holes and edges which caught HarryCrumb out with a sliding wipeout just in front of me. It was all great fun though.

The lane surface deteriorated some more and was replaced with a sustained sheet of lumpy and perilous ice. Truly terrifying stuff to ride on but huge grins of relief were abound as the survivors regrouped at the end of the glacial gamble.

The light was really failing by now so we dropped the Ladder Hill loop and short-cutted along the snow bound and icy tarmac lane back towards our start point. Then with one final shoot down an a singletrack chute we were spat out back at our cars, with perfect timing to meet up with elPedro's lift home.

A few slurps of tea from a Thermos warmed us up before loading up and returning home.

All in all it was a great ride in some memorable conditions with very good company as usual.
Thanks to everyone for making the effort to get out an brave the elements with me.

Happy New Year to you all!

Fantastic ride report made even better by the omission of the fact that I had to get off and push for the majority of the climbs

I Met with this top bunch of fellas yesterday and was made to feel very very welcome even though they had to wait for me for the majority of the climbs and risked not getting back in daylight because of me not a cross word was spoken , at least not to my face which is what counts lol,

Thank you all for a great day, I will be back after I have worked on my fitness somewhat.

A few shots from a perspective you did not get to enjoy

Thanks

Charlie

Attachments

• chips.jpg
    chips.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3,026
  • chips 2.jpg
    chips 2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 3,026
  • my view.jpg
    my view.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3,026
  • my view 2.jpg
    my view 2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 3,026
Charlie you were more than welcome. Considering you said that you normally ride on flat canal towpaths you did very well indeed as you may have noticed that it's a bit hilly around these parts.

We never had to wait very long at all and it was always fine.
I always like a good breather and a chance to take photos anyway.

See you next time!

in true arnie style i will be back, though are there any rides in them there parts that have perhaps less climbs or shorter ones, a bit up then down zig zag stylee? i notice in the pics that mine is the only bike with the chain on the granny too :LOL: :LOL: :oops:

last ride i did a month back was 40 miles of canal path, and i notice today i have very different muscles hurting than from that,

and that icy snow drag, it felt like was riding on two flat tyres , but i really had a great time :cool: :cool: :cool: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

see you all at cannock if not before ;)

Excellent ride reports from Mr kawasnowy , DSP and Charlieboy. I'll just add a few words and a selection of my photo's from what turned out to be one of my favourite rides of the year.

After many phone calls and smoke signals we managed to get everybody together to a meeting point in Whaley Bridge. The bikes were unloaded and soon ready to roll for a tremendous ride in the snowy conditions! Climbs a plenty , icy downhills but all good fun. Really nice to meet Charlieboy and the usual suspects , hope to do it all again soon. :D

b2.jpg

The convoy parks up, boots open , bikes out , lets go !
b3.jpg

Harrycrumb and another "built the night before project"
b4.jpg

Look at that , 3 retro riders come!
b5.jpg

Look at that , 3 retro riders go!
b6.jpg

Mr K amuse's the locals with his wit & charm.
b7.jpg

Mr K ,grits his teeth for another climb out of Goyt valley
b8.jpg

A sneaky shot of my bike.
b9.jpg

The tracks laid down by the 7 CHICKEN CHASER'S
b10.jpg

DSP takes a shine to Bristol's finest Overburys.
b12.jpg

Nice climb on the old roman road to Buxton.
b13.jpg

Pete and his lovely ibis :cool:
b14.jpg

No more climbing charlieboy, downhill all the way to the car's now bud.

Looking forward to the next ride already! oh , congratulations to Mark for another Bike of the ride award ! :LOL:

lol, "no more climbing charlieboy",lol yeah i must have heard that about 6 times, and only on one occassion was it not a lie :twisted: :evil:

Cheers for another grand-day out :D this is getting to be a regular thing, you will have to come across to my side of the country when the Ice age passes :LOL: Excellent wright up and some super pics see you all soon

Back