NWA Rides in 2011. Suggestions please.

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
After consulting with mr_ship and HarryCrumb and canvassing opinion during several rides this year, the North West Area rides and events team have come up with lots of ideas for rides and their locations next year.

We will of course be supporting all seven rounds of the Retrobike National Series and encouraging as many NWA riders as possible to attend the rides, including lift sharing and accommodation suggestions too.

However we also intend to keep the local rides active too with at least one ride per month next year.

This is where your suggestions and opinions come in. We want to ensure that we are inclusive as possible by organising rides across the whole NW region, of varying types and distances.
We'll also be working closely with AECs in our neighbouring regions to make sure that we all know what's happening nearby too, and hopefully support and join in with some of their rides.

So here are some dates and some suggestions...

The Retrobike National Events Calendar 2010/11

With support from

Rd 1 - Cannock Turkey Twizzler - Dec 27th (BH Monday)
Rd 2 - Thetford - Jan 23rd (Sunday)
Rd 3 - Forest of Dean - 14th May (Saturday)
Rd 4 - BDW - July 22-24 (Weekend, main ride Saturday)
Rd 5 - Drumlanrig - August 14th (Sunday)
Rd 6 - Mr. K's Day in the Peaks - Sept 10th (Saturday)
Rd 7 - Final Round (TBC) - Oct/Nov*

With the usual annual Retrobike attendance at:

- The Hell of North Cotswolds (Sunday April 10th 2011)
- Mountain Mayhem (Weekend of June 17th-19th 2011)

*The final round has been opened up for all regions to submit a bid to organise and host it. We’ll then post up their plans and every Retrobike member will have the opportunity to vote on the most popular idea. The event with the most votes will become the season finale for 2011.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suggestions and ideas:

So from the above you'll see that the NWA has it's usual Peak's ride as part of the National Series in September. Also the Big Dirty Weekender III takes place in the Lake District this year which will be great for everyone in our region too.

Along with all of the above here are a few additional suggestions in no particular order:

- Lake District ~ Grizedale and Coniston area - Skiddaw Loop - Borrowdale Bash - Garburn Pass/South Lakes Kentmere area
- "It's not about the hills....." ~ A short, flat, traffic free route running from Southport front to Formby, Crosby, etc. Pub stops and banter a plenty.
- Trough of Bowland and Gisburn Forest.
- East Lancashire ~ Sedburgh/Ribble Valley.
- Howgill Fells and Bowderdale.
- Re-create some published rides from old MBUKs or other retro publications. (I have dozens of these from all over the country)
- A coast to coast ~ collaboration with NE & Yorks area perhaps...?
- Western Dales ~ Ingleton, Horton and Settle/Malham areas.
- Peak District ~ Hayfield area
- Cheshire ~ Jodrell Bank area
- Return trips to Whinlatter, Macc Forest and Gisburn

So there's a few ideas.

Over to you...

EDITED to include more suggestions
Keep them coming!

Paul.

I have various route ideas for the Dales areas etc so if you ever want to do a pre ride let me know. ;)

Skiddaw Loop or maybe the Borrowdale Bash. Both good if the weather is alright, nice cafe stop on the Borrowdale route too.

elPedro666":34vw7ylq said:
Did a nice loop around Garburn last year, very South Lakes so might be more accessible?

Yes, I had thought the same, I have been meaning to take in one of the routes which leave from Stavely.

EarlofBarnet":qxjz40cg said:
Looks a good loop thst. I've not rode that before either.

Feels old-skool classic and really remote, but is easy to get to from the South - heard the cafe's top notch too but I didn't get chance to try it out... :cry:

Also so the sight of my biggest & best two wheel drift ever... :cool: :LOL:

Us Yorkies are hoping to get to a good few NWA events next year as they are always good craic. We are planning on doing the 3 Tribes again over the May day bank holiday weekend which hopefully should attract some NWA members.

When i lived in Didsbury i used to ride around the Jodrell Bank area. Nothing too gnarly but nice pleasant country tracks and bridles with some nice pubs scattered around. Would make for a really pleasant bimble on a warm summers day?

The riding around Kentmere is nice.
I've done the intermediate route a few times. Not too long and some nice trails and of course you get to head over Garburn Pass.
Gatescarth is tougher and Nan Bield is...well, give it a go :twisted:

Back