NWA: Roman Lakes ~ 11/12/10 - AFTERMATH

drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Great little ride today with a good bunch of people.

Here is the ride report:

NWA: Roman Lakes and Mellor Moor~ 11/12/10

NWA-RomanLakes-December-04.jpg

With the majority of the ice and snow thawed for the weekend the scene was set for a bit of mud and a bit of cold, but the weather was looking kind for a dry day.
Six hardy Retrobikers met up for bacon toasties and polystyrene cups of tea from the Roman Lakes serving hatch.
While MrLee distributed skinwall tyres the rest of us built up our bikes.
MrK telephoned from afar to wish us all well, still optimistic about winning the final coveted Bike of the Ride award of 2010 despite his last minute no show.

Several riders had made it though.

Woody selected his current commuter in the form of a nice red Specialized Stumpjumper M2 from 1993. The aforementioned MrLee brought along his glitterball disco Lava Dome from about 1996 while NE Yorkie Kaya got all nostalgic on his homecoming aboard another retro-mod Kona.
elPedro666 brought out his Dyna Tech once more and I had just finished building up a tatty old 1998 Saracen especially for dirty old winter rides.
HarryCrumb however sealed up the Bike of the Ride prize from the outset with a stunning 1990 Marin Team Titanium complete with NOS XT parts and brand new dark anodized Araya RM20 rims.
We did try to warn him about the abrasive effects of Peak District grit but he didn't seem too bothered.

And so we set about the riding, with an early portion of climbing, followed by more climbing and then a little more climbing.
It was hard work at times with the gradient never really yielding and the loose surface stealing away traction.
Near the top of Mellor Moor, Kaya began experiencing some trouble with his modern Crank Bros pedals.

NWA-RomanLakes-December-01.jpg

Hit it with a bit of gritstone!

NWA-RomanLakes-December-02m.jpg
NWA-RomanLakes-December-03m.jpg

With a selection of enormous allen keys, a rummage for spare washers, a lump of rock and several doses of ingenuity, the pedal was temporarily fixed, but not without some heckling from a nearby farmer.

Riding onwards we cleared the summit of the moor and gently rolled down the first of many puddle and slush filled lanes.
Just half a mile after the first repair, another pedal failure halted us. Spending a bit more time in a more sheltered location, the same offending pedal underwent a more rigorous and hopefully lasting repair.

NWA-RomanLakes-December-05.jpg

The start of the NWA trail-side bike build thread

With the pedal secured we dived headlong through melting snow drifts and slush pools to drop back down the other side of the moor and up a narrow slippery climb up to join another lovely rocky old lane.

NWA-RomanLakes-December-06.jpg

Rays of sunshine on the distant hills - not quite visible in this photograph...

After winding out a couple of turns of our brake lever barrel adjusters we tackled the next descent and it's slabs and steps. Great fun until we rounded a bend to find a short section still completely filled with snow.
Most of us were cast asunder by the white road block but Kaya nailed it straight through like a snow plough. Great riding skills.

Further down the lane we stopped in at the pub for a selection of athletic power snacks and isotonic sports drinks.

With several portions of chips, potato wedges, garlic bread and onion rings in our bellies all washed down with beer, we saddled up for the tarmac climb back out of the valley.
MrLee's DIY ice tyres were singing along on the asphalt until the deflating sound of a puncture brought us to another short break. The tube was patched in time to tackle more large ice filled puddles.
Spirits were still high though as we hit another of the characteristic slab and step sandstone descents around these parts.

NWA-RomanLakes-December-07.jpg

MrLee dancing his disco Kona down the drops

NWA-RomanLakes-December-08.jpg

Woody takes it all in his stride

NWA-RomanLakes-December-09.jpg

HarryCrumb grabs another four fingers of brake lever to remove the anodising from his new rims

NWA-RomanLakes-December-10.jpg

Kaya cruises down his old familiar routes

After the rocks came another great descent through the woods, past some cows in the lane and almost to the valley floor. Another sustained climb brought us all up to a final view of Manchester before dropping down the final downhill back to our starting point.
The light levels and temperature were again beginning to drop but we didn't have far to go now.

NWA-RomanLakes-December-11.jpg

More confident downhill action from Kaya

NWA-RomanLakes-December-12.jpg

Going, going...

NWA-RomanLakes-December-13.jpg

Gone! HarryCrumb tastes the local dirt.

HarryCrumb practised his over the bar acrobatics, Mr Lee's rear tyre failed and Kaya's pedal gave up all within a mile or so of home. But we all made it back safely just before dusk had really set in and the beast of Mellor Moor left it's lair to feast on stranded bikers.

Another polystyrene portion of tea warmed cold fingers while we all loaded up our vehicles, compared notes and eventually went home.

Thanks again to Chris, Lee, Martin, Vern and Pete for a great day out again.

I concur

a good chance to test the Marin, although the puddle with the hidden ice bed inside did find the limits of the tyres

Brillant days riding today , even though the modern pedals tried to grind us to a halt ! Mr Lee came up with some excellent bodge up jobs !

Pictures to follow. ;)

drystonepaul":xmqmauv2 said:
Great little ride today with a good bunch of people.

More pictures and a ride report to follow.

Tease!

Another great ride with some very determined bodging & a top notch pub stop :cool: Regrettably I'd forgotten to grease my knees & creaked round like a proper old man :oops: one of those days where you push & pedals just ignore you! Lack of breakfast, drink and sleep I think to blame. BUT, never once felt in the slightest like I was trying folks' patience, so big thanks to everyone for that and if anyone's in two minds about coming on one of these rides please do just come along - you'll find they're anything but exclusive! :D

Cheers for another good day out lads real enjoyed it ,also glad you could join us kaya just like old times ;) p.s TIME :LOL:
Guess its back to the drawing board for the ice tyres I'm thinking slime anti puncture inserts strips
hope I can join you all for cannock but I get the feeling I will be changing nappies :shock: :D
Lee

Attachments

• Photo004.jpg
    Photo004.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,246
  • Photo006.jpg
    Photo006.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,246
Great day out chaps in one of my favorite (ex)local riding spots, sorry about the collapsing pedal :oops: but have to keep up the image of poor maintenance ;)

Here's a few pics and a link to the rest of them.

Strange men in car park
IMG_3254.jpg

No where near the top of the hill
IMG_3262.jpg

Down hill at last
IMG_3268.jpg

Sideways action
IMG_3280.jpg

Our Glorious leader
IMG_3277.jpg

Lunch stop
IMG_3295.jpg

Just a puncher
IMG_3297.jpg

New Old Stock test run
IMG_3305.jpg

More down hill
IMG_3300.jpg

Steps and Zigzags
IMG_3314.jpg

Attack Attack
IMG_3309.jpg

Steps and Zigzags II
IMG_3315.jpg

Here's a link to the rest of the days pics http://s746.photobucket.com/albums/xx10 ... n%20Lakes/

Geat pictures

Thanks for recording the event, great to see you again, and get some new pedals, or at least one ;)

Another great write up Paul and some good pics, Thanks for organising a grand day out :D :cool:

Fantastic write up paul as usual.

Looks like you all had loads of fun.

I will try and make this next time. ;)

Back