drystonepaul

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
NWA: Rivington Pike ~ Sunday 21st November 2010

rivington.jpg

:: Date: Sunday 21st November 2010
:: Distance/time: 16 miles approx / 4-5 hours riding.
:: Meeting at: 10am for 10:30am start. Meeting point Rivington Hall Lower Barn ~ BL6 7SB.
:: Directions: here
:: Terrain: A mixture of quiet lanes, moorland tracks, natural and man-made woodland trails. Some climbing to be expected.

Very much looking forward to this one. Register your interest on this thread please.

Thanks

EDIT: The aftermath for this ride starts on page three.

Should be ok for this, about time we explored Rivington. I've heard good things about it, I know the guys at Merlin Cycles and Leisure Lakes often ride there.

Provisionally going to try and get to this.. Been promising myself I'd try to get on a ride at some point and the distance looks manageable.

If I can't get the Saracen up and running by then I'll be on the GT.

I've ridden the area loads in the past (mid 90s). Lots of bridleways snake across the side of it.

Last time I visited I wrecked my Avalanche's freehub on Healey Nab :roll:

In previous rides I've frequently met people at the lower barn area... Mainly because of locality of cafe, parking facilities, bogs....
There's also the higher barn which is just up the road from it... Loads of parking there too.

I am in on this one

going to put something new together for it I think, just waiting on a headset delivery, and some grips.

paininthe":3n91vi4m said:
Yes, i'll be making this. Are Yorkies allowed? :)
Yes, but must be muzzled at all times.

kaytronika":3n91vi4m said:
What's the pace like on these rides btw? Don't want to hold anyone back!

Don't worry for one minute about the pace, the group goes as fast as the slowest man. There will be plenty of stops for catching up, discussion and banter also.

sinnett177":zr8x5jwz said:
Don't worry for one minute about the pace, the group goes as fast as the slowest man. There will be plenty of stops for catching up, discussion and banter also.

Sounds great then. I better get cracking at putting this Saracen together! :D

As for route suggestions...

• There are at least 2 different bridleway routes from the barns to the top of the Pike
    There's a (nightmare) downhill road frequented by 4x4s... We used to ride it fully rigid when I was a teenager, it was host to a 4 man downhill in the mid 90s.
    There are one or two bridleways around the reservoirs, though you do have to tie these in with some road sections at times. Quiet country roads though.
    If you're feeling particularly energetic you can head over Anglezarke and back round past Healey Nab where there are waymarked red and black trails (I did the red on my Avalanche, it's pretty hard going on bikes with lots of steps, drops & berms)
    There's a castle that isn't a castle... It's a bit of a dump to be honest, but offers nice views of the reservoir.
    The route up to Winter Hill from Rivington is largely by road, it can be a bit 'epic' in winter... You can drop off the back down a steep downhill too, or you could 15 years back

Ride

I don't wanna gate crash here guys but , riding out from Darwen would be better going over past Darwen Tower into Tocholes along Cathrines edge bridal way (this runs parrallel with Belmont Rd) out of Belmont and then up the front of Winter Hill , your then into Rivvy , stop at the barn for a brew and a buttie .

You could always take in Healy Nab trail too then back up through Tocholes woods into Darwen . :LOL:

Some of the best natural trail riding this side of the lakes , stunning scenery to boot !

I will try and make it as this was my weekly ride until a few months ago when work took presidence .

Put me down provisionaly ! :roll:

Attachments

• P9270002.JPG
    P9270002.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 1,762
  • ABCD0017 (2).JPG
    ABCD0017 (2).JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,761
  • ABCD0012.JPG
    ABCD0012.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,760
Back