Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

knutsford / northwich area? Macc Forest ride - 17/10/10
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=111687

Author:  jax13 [ Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:12 pm ]
Post subject:  knutsford / northwich area? Macc Forest ride - 17/10/10

Since getting back into this bike lark I could really do with a drop or two of motivation. theres nothing better than going out on your own for a couple of hours and getting bugs in your eyes, mud in your ears and finding a new muscle to pull apart from going out for a couple of hours with someone to laugh at you when you inevitably go headfirst over the handlebars!!!

where and when do the cheshire based members of the retro world ride?

Author:  drystonepaul [ Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hello jax13.
I'm in Macclesfield along with a few other members and riders on here.
Having Macclesfield Forest just up the road means I spent plenty of time in and around there as well as heading further a field.

I ride as much as I can both modern and retro. In fact I'm off out for a ride in about half an hour. Working from home has it's benefits...

You're quite welcome to join us.

Author:  jax13 [ Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:39 pm ]
Post subject: 

cheers for that paul, the gaffer is away on holiday for the best part of 3 weeks so time off isn't going to be easy till next month but if its ok by you, i'll give you a shout when i've got a bit more free time.

just out of interest, do you tend to ride weekends, through the week or just whenever you feel like it?!!

Author:  drystonepaul [ Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

No worries. I ride all year and get out whenever I can, weekdays, evenings and weekends. I don't have any sort of fixed riding schedule.
I do however go out most Friday evenings for a night-ride and beer with a few mates, and there's another group of riders who go out on Thursday evenings who I also sometimes join in with when I can.
There are also the 'official' retrobike rides too which tend to be all day affairs at the weekend all over the North West.

Basically let me know when suits you and I'll get a few of us out together locally.
In fact I may organise a little ride over here again soon...

Author:  jax13 [ Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:30 am ]
Post subject: 

sounds good, paul.

in the vain hope i'm not sounding like a complete wimp - what sort of distances do you normally do? i'm still in the process of trying to get myself fit, nothing more than a 10 mile jaunt at the moment but i am gradually increasing it week on week.

Author:  fat chance rider [ Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:44 pm ]
Post subject:  macc

Hi, i live in macclesfield and went up to macc forest. I saw a lot of tracks but a lot where signposted for walkers only. So the question is where in macc forrest do you bloody ride? I would be interested in meeting up for a ride at some point as well if there is ever a get together.

Cheers Stuart

Author:  drystonepaul [ Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:46 am ]
Post subject: 

Hello Stuart. There is plenty of good riding in and around Macc Forest. I try to get up there as much as possible, in fact I've just got back in from a night ride.
How's about a ride this weekend? I'll show you some of the trails if you like.

Paul

Author:  fat chance rider [ Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:22 am ]
Post subject: 

Im meant to be working all of this weekend but im sure i can fit in a ride next weekend or next week in the late afternoon if your interested??

Author:  drystonepaul [ Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'll be in touch. :)

Author:  fat chance rider [ Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

In fact I'm now off Sunday if your still free??

Author:  elPedro666 [ Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Better throw my hat in the ring for this too, although riding time is woefully hard to come by at the moment :cry: at least no one has to worry about me getting fit! :roll:

I'm guessing you've seen this?
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... c&start=15
8)

Author:  mikeekim89 [ Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:26 pm ]
Post subject: 

i'll take a crack too. normally on the other side of the hills, but i spend sometime in and around warrington :wink:

Author:  elPedro666 [ Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

I think we need stamp a date on this one if it's going to happen, might I proffer Sat16th as a possibility? 8)

Author:  drystonepaul [ Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm good for Saturday 16th October but better for the following Saturday 23rd.

Macclesfield Forest...?

Author:  elPedro666 [ Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

drystonepaul wrote:
I'm good for Saturday 16th October but better for the following Saturday 23rd.

Macclesfield Forest...?

MacRetro's bash on the 23rd, fancy a tour of Glentress? Have space in the car... :wink:

Author:  fat chance rider [ Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

I could do the 23rd but only late on after about 1500hrs?? or i can do a sunday if anyone is up for that??

Author:  elPedro666 [ Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:57 am ]
Post subject: 

Sunday the 17th? That'd do me 8)

Saturday or Sunday is fine for me, just going to message another Mac-dweller, see if he's free too...

Author:  drystonepaul [ Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:48 am ]
Post subject: 

Sunday 17th sounds good to me too. Shall we go for that?

Author:  elPedro666 [ Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

drystonepaul wrote:

I'm in, it's going on the calendar, another stem-length trial for the Dyna-Tech I reckon... :wink: :D

Author:  mrlee [ Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

elPedro666 wrote:
drystonepaul wrote:

I'm in, it's going on the calendar, another stem-length trial for the Dyna-Tech I reckon... :wink: :D

hi chaps are you orginising a ride at macc forest? if so can i play? i would like to get out more with the nwest sector :D

Author:  drystonepaul [ Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Ok. We'll go with the Sunday the 17th for a little regional meet up.

We'll probably keep to a fairly short route and take our time, unless the general opinion is to go a bit further or faster.

I'll start a thread up soon with directions and a meet up time. I reckon about 11am for an 11:30am start.

And mrlee, you are of course very welcome.

Author:  elPedro666 [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:49 am ]
Post subject: 

Turning into a proper meet this...! :D

Just heard back from Duncan (the lad who lives in Macc & is hoping to join us) and he's suggested an early start to avoid the worst of the Sunday foot traffic. Also offered some local knowledge & route advice on new bits of trail 8)

I think Paul knows the place well anyway though? :wink:

I'll suggest he signs up (what possible harm could come of it...? :twisted: :lol: ) so he can post here :)

Looking forward to Sunday!

Author:  drystonepaul [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

I don't mind when we start. Macc Forest is always busy on a Sunday though so an early start could be preferable.

There is a bit of an extra loop which we can add on as well. It takes in some trails away from the forest which will be much quieter (and more natural) too.

Author:  elPedro666 [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:52 pm ]
Post subject: 

drystonepaul wrote:
There is a bit of an extra loop which we can add on as well. It takes in some trails away from the forest which will be much quieter (and more natural) too.

Are there man-made trails in the forest then? Hadn't realised! It looks like I'm the slowest subscriber so far & I think you've an idea of what I'm up to (second loop on Sunday would've been ok, but I would have held you up), so should be cool 8)

Author:  drystonepaul [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

elPedro666 wrote:
Are there man-made trails in the forest then? Hadn't realised! It looks like I'm the slowest subscriber so far & I think you've an idea of what I'm up to (second loop on Sunday would've been ok, but I would have held you up), so should be cool 8)

There's nothing man made in the trail centre definition of man made, but all the trails in the forest are either surfaced forest roads or paths.
It's a long way from being a trail centre thankfully.
The forest officially and legally opened up to bikers in 1994 when the 'forest bridleway' was designated. (I remember it well!)

'Charity Lane' which runs along the forest boundary is a rocky old unsurfaced and largely unmaintained county ride which of course makes it a great descent, especially when combined with a narrow track called 'Bottom of the Oven'. Riding in the southern half of the forest is mostly on a network of permissive bridleways on forest tracks. There have been a few new bits put in which are aimed at keeping bikers happy.

Out towards the north there is more good riding an a few bridleways and tracks, and to the east you can head out and up onto the moors for some great routes.

The good riding isn't always obvious on the map, but it is possible to piece together all the good bits.

Author:  mrlee [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

i can't wait for this , whats the flavour rigid or suspenders?

Author:  elPedro666 [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

mrlee wrote:
i can't wait for this , whats the flavour rigid or suspenders?

I only have 0 or 6 inches, so some nice stiff ally forks for me!

Author:  MattyZaskar [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Im from Crewe and id be interested in trying Macc forest :D

Author:  elPedro666 [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

MattyZaskar wrote:

How about this Sunday...? :wink: :lol:

Author:  gonetothehills [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

Hi there. I'm the aforementioned local lad from elPedro's post up there^^ and have a pass out for Sunday too, so thanks very much for the invite!

All I can add is to suggest something like a 9am start from somewhere like the Leather's Smithy to avoid the thronging masses of red socks (and loads of those other mountain biker types :D ) clogging the place up. There's good on road parking at that time of day, but leave it much later and you'll struggle, unless you're riding up there.

I'm a bit limited in terms of wheels at the mo, so it's the boring modern full suss for me, if that's going to be ok? All the old projects have gone to new homes, and no, I don't need any encouragement for another one, thank you very much! I'll keep an eye on the thread but am really looking forward to the ride.

Cheers.

Author:  elPedro666 [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

No Sanderson...? :shock:

Author:  gonetothehills [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:

no :( It's gone to a loving new home and been replaced with a Genesis CX bike that's currently getting working hard on a 22mile e/w commute that I'm managing once or twice a week. Needs must, but there'll be another steel hardtail along soon, I can feel it my waters...

Right - off on the bike for a pootle.

Author:  MattyZaskar [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

elPedro666 wrote:
MattyZaskar wrote:

Providing im not at work ill happily join up (at the back lol) !!

Author:  elPedro666 [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

MattyZaskar wrote:
elPedro666 wrote:
MattyZaskar wrote:

Oh good - someone for me to talk to (inbetween gasping for air :oops:) :lol:

Author:  MattyZaskar [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

elPedro666 wrote:
MattyZaskar wrote:
elPedro666 wrote:
MattyZaskar wrote:

Oh good - someone for me to talk to (inbetween gasping for air :oops:) :lol:

I might just catch what you saying if you slow down abit for me lol :D

Author:  elPedro666 [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

So, I think we have:
Me (Pete)
Paul
Lee
Duncan (gonetothehills)
Matty

And maybe?
Jax
Stuart (fatchancerider)
mikeekim89

Looking good 8)

Author:  drystonepaul [ Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

Great stuff.
Using the power of moderation I shall alter the title of this thread slightly.

Author:  elPedro666 [ Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:30 am ]
Post subject: 

drystonepaul wrote:
Using the Power of Moderation I shall alter the title of this thread

Do you have a staff? :shock:
I'm imagining some chanting, maybe a tribal dance and then lightning striking the staff... :shock:

Author:  drystonepaul [ Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

elPedro666 wrote:
drystonepaul wrote:
Using the Power of Moderation I shall alter the title of this thread

Do you have a staff? :shock:
I'm imagining some chanting, maybe a tribal dance and then lightning striking the staff... :shock:

I have a sword and a battle cat.

Author:  elPedro666 [ Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:34 pm ]
Post subject: 

gonetothehills wrote:
Quote:

no :( It's gone to a loving new home and been replaced with a Genesis CX bike that's currently getting working hard on a 22mile e/w commute that I'm managing once or twice a week

Cripes, missed this! And you were so complimentary of it...

Don't suppose you kept the seat clamp? I just bought a 28.6 Hope only to find it needs 30.0(?) - didn't clock the external butting :oops: :roll:

So, back on topic, do we have a definite time & place to meet? 8)

Author:  gonetothehills [ Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:02 pm ]
Post subject: 

Oh it was lovely, but it was a "1 in, 1 out" situation - space / budget - and the CX seemed to crossover the hardtail as much as it did the posh road bike, so sadly it's gone. Looking forward to seeing yours though - and yes; let me know a time / place to meet and I'll be there on Sunday. Work's just got in the way of tonight's planned ride, so I'm in serious need of getting out.

PS: Yep - think it's a 30.0 / 29.8 clamp you need. Mine went with the bike, but I'll have a root through the spares box and see if there's owt there. Having had 3x On Ones, a Sanderson and a Cotic in recent years, there must be something that size knocking about!

Author:  drystonepaul [ Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:28 pm ]
Post subject: 

For start details have a look at this, as copied from some earlier Macc Forest rides.

NWA regional ride: Macclesfield Forest
:: Date: Sunday 17th October 2010
:: Distance/time: 10-15 miles / 3-4 hours riding at a steady pace.
:: Meeting at Leather's Smithy Inn at 10:30am for 11:00am start.
[Free parking available on the road outside the pub alongside the reservoir but please don't use the pub car park]
Please be aware it can get very busy on Sundays... Let me know if you intend to arrive earlier.
:: Directions: here
:: Terrain: Well drained fire roads, rocky descents, and tracks and bridleways. Some road sections including one big road climb. Nothing particularly technical or steep but plenty of rocks and fast descents.

We've done a couple of retro rides in and around Macclesfield Forest this year. Have a look at the aftermaths below for a taster.

January:> http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87568
April:> http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97123

Author:  elPedro666 [ Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:17 pm ]
Post subject: 

Looks ace - recognise a lot of it from a ride Kiran & I did a while back. I particularly remember the road ENE from the pub being the daftest steep road climb I can bring to mind :x

It was also the ride when Kiran first 'borrowed' my Ibis & took a shine to it, resulting in absurd expense & toil. I road dad's (too small for me) Cadex ALM-1. You'd like the Cadex, it's original & hardly used... :wink:

Really looking forward to this! I was before, but extra excited now... :D :lol:

Author:  gonetothehills [ Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

Gents (and any ladies!) - I'm struggling a touch with the late start, but will still try to meet you at the Leather's Smithy; though I might be on my way back down...! Looks like it'll be a great day for a stomp, and sorry in advance for not making the whole thing . :(

Author:  elPedro666 [ Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:00 pm ]
Post subject: 

I'm easy for either an 0900 or 1100 start, how's everyone else fixed? :D

Author:  drystonepaul [ Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:48 pm ]
Post subject: 

It'll have to be the 10:30 for 11am start for me I'm afraid.

Weather is looking good. I'll be on my Marin, which has no granny ring. That'll make that steep road climb a real challenge...

Author:  elPedro666 [ Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

drystonepaul wrote:
It'll have to be the 10:30 for 11am start for me I'm afraid.

Weather is looking good. I'll be on my Marin, which has no granny ring. That'll make that steep road climb a real challenge...

That's sorted then 8)

Ditto on the Dyna - 34/32 lowest for me :cry: it's a tragic attempt to combine my weight weenie fetish with a chronic need to get fit!

Author:  drystonepaul [ Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

Not a weight weenie thing for me. I just don't have a spare inner ring for that bike...

We can have a chat while we're pushing our bikes up the steep bits.

Author:  elPedro666 [ Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

drystonepaul wrote:
Not a weight weenie thing for me. I just don't have a spare inner ring for that bike...

We can have a chat while we're pushing our bikes up the steep bits.

:lol:
What bcd is it? Sure I can dig one out this afternoon... :wink:

Author:  drystonepaul [ Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:32 pm ]
Post subject: 

elPedro666 wrote:
What bcd is it? Sure I can dig one out this afternoon... :wink:

It's a 58mm bcd. Cheers but don't worry about it. I'd have to change the alloy outer chainring bolts too otherwise they'd catch the chain and get chewed up if I dropped onto the granny ring. (if I had one)
It's not worth the bother...

I'll just man up and deal with the climbs.

Author:  elPedro666 [ Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:35 pm ]
Post subject: 

drystonepaul wrote:
I'll just man up and deal with the climbs.

:lol:
Didn't necessarily mean as a carpark fitment :wink:

Author:  Woody [ Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

I can make this chaps , see you in the morning.

Author:  drystonepaul [ Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

Great ride today.
Aftermath here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=121386

Anyone who missed out on today's ride will have to get in touch and we'll organise some more dates. :D

Author:  Mr Duke [ Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:05 am ]
Post subject:  Next NW ride?

Count me in for the next one (as long as you can fix the weather again!).. :wink:

Author:  realdiver [ Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Count me in

I'd be interested as well - I live in South Stockport and regularly visit Mac Forest

cheers
Steve