Manchester Clayton Vale Fortnightly Mid Week Race Series

Will see you there Neil, i'm paying on the line as I doubt my entry will be in time now. Ti-mega in near Mayhem trim looks the likely candidate for a ride.

Got any tips on wher Clayton Vale Park is Neil? Can't seem to find anything on google maps.

Brief race report.... cycled the 9 or 10 miles from Chorlton over to Clayton Vale, tucked behind the BCF HQ at the velodrome. This fledgling race series saw about 50 entrants, mostly of the maturer variety. A smattering of retro machinery included an early Giant carbon (the Trek-alike one); a green P7 and a Yeti Fro, allegedly serial number 2 (although it had an 1 1/4" headtube). A quick recce of the 10 minute a lap course revealed a mini Mayhem style set up, the sun came out and we set off for a 40 minutes + 1 lap sprint. My M2 settled into the rider's comfortable position at the back, slipping discretely past a few puffers on the first sharp climb, only for the rear quick release to let go, the tyre rubbing onto the frame and grinding me to a halt. My immediate competitors sailed by as I pfaffed, then began the long haul to get back my losses. The short format meant it was over before it began, but at least it was a facsimile of a typical Mayhem lap, finishing in late evening sunshine, where my future Captain was waiting for a post race natter, before wending my way back through the city to the burbs.

Good fun for midweek, methinks.

Mr K

Attachments

• To finish first, first you have to finish....jpg
    To finish first, first you have to finish....jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 667
Had a great time last night despite DNFing. The track was good fun and very much in the old school mould, some nice fast sections and plenty of little climbs to trouble the legs. I completed 3 laps but cramp struck early on the fourth which put me out, a lack of sprint training being my problem I think.

I'm hoping to do the complete series, its a nice way to spend an evening and the organisation seems friendly. So i'll be back in a forthnight.

Great to see other retrobikes being ridden. Neil and I got chatting to a guy on an old Yeti thought to be serial number 2, but like Neil said it had a 1 1/4" headset.

Hopefully i'l find the site with the timings and results on.

Back