RESCHEDULED - Glasgow to Runcorn August 19th - 21st

Re: Glasgow to Runcorn August 11th - 13th

Cool. I'm planning on a 9.15am depart from Gretna Green, so I reckon 10-1015 into central Carlisle allowing for a wrong turn or two.

Shall I just get you at the station?

My target is Lancaster for 6.

Bike selection is causing me a headache. I've not been feeling great this week and my original plan might get thrown out of the window. I might even end up going modern! :facepalm:

Put the triple on the PDM Concorde, changed the wheels to 36 spokers and put a pair of dual pivot brakes on in place of the monoplaners. Went for a spin and a fettle and just couldn't get comfortable... Certainly not enough for three consecutive 8 hour shifts in the saddle.

Have now stripped the downtube shifters and fitted 9 speed ergos as they give a better platform for riding on the hoods. The only thing that hasn't been touched is the rear mech!

Last chance saloon test ride in the morning. If it doesn't feel right it's off the roster.

Loud Cougar is ready but can only take 23mm tyres and mudguards at a push. If it's dry with zilch chance of rain I'll maybe take this as it's been getting the most use recently... even though 250 miles on 23mm tyre might hurt.

I'm now also toying with going modern in the interests of self preservation. I have a titanium audax frameset fitted with Campag 11 speed compact. Takes 25 mm tyres and mudguards easily... But it's modern!

Concorde is back on the list.

Went for a hilly 10 mile test ride fully loaded and it was fine. The ergos make braking less effort and give a decent hand position on the hoods.

I've found the old Campag brake levers fine up to 40 miles but long descents really take their toll on the hands - the Southern Uplands and the Lakes would have been torture.

I'll put 25mm tyres on and borrow the Raceblade XL's from dowdy Cougar.

If the forecast is dry and still for the full three days, I'll take loud Cougar instead. If the forecast is truly rubbish it'll be my commuter bike with full rack and guards with two panniers stuffed with changes of clothes!

Having to postpone this trip due to a kidney stone needing dug out.

Have rebooked my stays so will now be doing Glasgow-Gretna on Saturday the 19th, Gretna-Lancaster on Sunday the 20th and Lancaster-Runcorn Monday 21st.

Will open a new topic from my sick bed later.

Re: CANCELLED - Glasgow to Runcorn August 11th - 13th

Sorry to hear that Ken on 2 counts the other being is I can't make the 20th

Re: CANCELLED - Glasgow to Runcorn August 11th - 13th

kingbling":2jk43yu6 said:
Sorry to hear that Ken on 2 counts the other being is I can't make the 20th

Dang! I was looking forward to seeing your F'light... And the company and stimulating chat over 90+ miles of course...

Kidney stone gone folowing minor op and ride rescheduled as follows:

Saturday 19th Central Glasgow to Gretna, basically following NCN route 74

Sunday 20th Gretna to Lancaster via Carlisle, Penrith, Shap, Kendal and Carnforth predominately following a combination of NCN route 6 and some back roads as suggested by kingbling (plus a bit of A6)

Monday 21st Lancaster to Runcorn via Preston, Ormskirk and St Helens and crossing the Mersey either at Warrington or Widnes. (Still can't make up my mind!)

All welcome to join me for any amount of miles.

Yesterday, I arrived in Lancaster... No spectacular Jamie-esque pictures unfortunately. The weather has been very "Meh" and I seem to have bypassed any stunning views!.

178 lumpy miles since I left Glasgow on Saturday but only 70 miles to do today.

A bit slower than planned, but given I'm carrying stuff for a day's work on Tuesday, I'm not too upset.

First stop today is a bike shop so I can retorque the saddle clamp... It's been slipping back and up and resetting it with a multi tool only lasts so long. Next time I carry a full Nelson longflap, I'll use a two-bolt post.

Attachments

• IMAG0981-768x1365.jpg
    IMAG0981-768x1365.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 4,422
  • shap.jpg
    shap.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 4,422
  • saturdayfinish.jpg
    saturdayfinish.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 4,422
Done.

Lost count of how often I missed turns today. Satnav was lagging and cost me over an hour over the last 30 miles. Had expected to increase my average speed, not drop it even lower!

I did at least manage to get a loan of a torque wrench in Lancaster to stop the saddle busting my ass!

I'm also quite chuffed having done the full route without going below 40-28. I'd put the triple on fully expecting to need the granny at least three or four times (per day).

Attachments

• finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 4,414
Back