1" steerer fork with disc mounts.

suburbanreuben

Old School Grand Master
Does such a thing exist? I'm not worried if it's rigid or squishy, A head or threaded, but it should be cheapish.
Cheers, Nick

There are some plastic ones on ebay but they are not cheap - there was a thread about this recently. They are also suspension adjusted length... just what you don't need on a frame from the days before suspension :roll:

You could get a frame builder to fit one but that would not be a cheap option... or fix something up with jubilee clips and elbow grease (asking for trouble).

Sorry... this is not helping is it?

That's the ones - but at 425mm they are suspension corrected for 80mm travel. Most frames with 1" headtubes require forks of 395mm length.

Another option is to track down some early Marzocchi Bomber Z2 forks which have 55mm or 63mm of travel and disc mounts.

The early ones have the steerer tube clamped in like the stantions and it's still possible to get new 1" steerer tubes for these (I did last year).

Ace forks and in my opinion the best "retro" forks for riding/ragging because they actually work :shock: (Note... I hate elastomers and/or air for forks... it's springs all the way for me baby).

Here are mine.

yqwkfo.jpg

Showing clamped in stantions - the steerer tube clamp looks the same.

yoldtv.jpg

Mid steerer tube swap.

Again... probably not a cheap option, and despite me saying they are good forks compared with modern suspension they are a bit crap feeling with a tendency to top and bottom out. They are also not especially stiff when compared to modern forks... but thats 10 years of progress for you :D

messiah":17qvzxhb said:
That's the ones - but at 425mm they are suspension corrected for 80mm travel. Most frames with 1" headtubes require forks of 395mm length.

Another option is to track down some early Marzocchi Bomber Z2 forks which have 55mm or 63mm of travel and disc mounts.

The early ones have the steerer tube clamped in like the stantions and it's still possible to get new 1" steerer tubes for these (I did last year).

Ace forks and in my opinion the best "retro" forks for riding/ragging because they actually work :shock: (Note... I hate elastomers and/or air for forks... it's springs all the way for me baby).

Here are mine.

yqwkfo.jpg

Showing clamped in stantions - the steerer tube clamp looks the same.

yoldtv.jpg

Mid steerer tube swap.

Again... probably not a cheap option, and despite me saying they are good forks compared with modern suspension they are a bit crap feeling with a tendency to top and bottom out. They are also not especially stiff when compared to modern forks... but thats 10 years of progress for you :D
Thanks for this. You're preaching to the converted , though, about Z2's. I've had the same pair on my bikes since 1997 and they still work perfectly, with only one change of seals! (but 4 changes of bike) Mine are V brake only, though.
I'll keep my eyes open.
Cheers, Nick
Cheers, Nick

Back