Crossmax rim / wheelset

I have two rear rims, on both of which an eyelet had been half-way pulled out.

Ceramic average to good condition on both.

If it can be any use, I can do pics. Not too keen on posting, but if there's another way you can collect, you could have one for free (I'm hoping to rebuild one of my rears with one, but the spokes are stuck with the nipples despite dripping oil at the junction - any other clues of how to separate them?).

sylvain,

pics would be good. Is either rim cracked where the eyelet is pulling out?

no idea how to unseize the spokes :cry:

john

Ok I will get you some pics of the damaged eyelets and rim surface. I see what you mean for the cracked rim - those two spares I have were found in a bin after a 24h race and never used since, but I pulled a spoke a few years back on one of my front crossmax when a log jumped out at it, and the rim did crack (I have been running it on 25 spokes since!). For those two rear I have, I don't think the rim is actually cracked - maybe slightly deformed. My guess would be, If you are not too heavy, that you could run a rear wheel with that particular spoke not too tensioned in order not to damage the rim/eyelet anymore. The rim is plenty stiff (I've never had a problem with the front on 25 spokes, despite the big gap between two spokes). That's just a fix I guess and up to you if you can be bothered to rebuild a wheel with a rim that is not 100% ok. What was the problem with your rim? Ceramic dead?

One of the eyelets has pulled out of my crossmax rim with a resultant crack on the rim around the spoke hole. The rim is also deformed around a few other spokes.
My LBS quoted £100 for a new rim. Spokes are also very expensive (think it'd end up being around £25). That's for parts alone.
Think I'm going to rebuild the rear with a regular 28h black mavic rim.

I've thought about doing that too, those rims are hideously expensive.

And yes, both my rims are actually cracked:

xmx3.jpg

xmx2.jpg

Latest posts

Back