Original GT seat and seat post from 1992 GT Avalanche

Mossy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Long shot, but if anyone has the original GT saddle and seat post for a 1992 Avalanche (in any condition) I would be interested. Cash waiting.

Many thanks.

Shame you didn't post up (sorry) a few weeks ago. Had one in my old frame, but had to cut it out as it was seized solid...

Would have tried harder to save it if I knew someone was after it.

In as much as it matters though, they were only cheapo black 'Kalloy' posts, so easy to get hold of. If you get one (26.8 ø) you could ask Gil_m (member on here) to do some reverse decals for you to spray on the logos. There were two small 'GT' logos in white on either side about 50mm down.

If you can sort that you'll have a post as good as new.

In terms of the saddle, this was again a cheapo 'Viscount' number with silver studs on the back. I still have this and don't want to let it go, but if I were you I'd look for something like a Flite instead. The originals were very uncomfortable and came apart at the nose very easily. Might not be 100% original, but would be much more comfortable!

Thanks for the info boyburning, sounds like you had/have one?

The 92 Avalanche i've just picked up is very good and near mint bar a few marks and scratches the rest will clean nicley. An original saddle and post would finish the setup just sweet. Thanks for heads-up regards the quality and comfort ride issues!

In order to clarify the frame size can you tell me how the GT Avalanche was measured back in 92?

Mossy:

They were measured centre of bb to centre of top tube, running parallel with the seat tube. Sizes were 16, 18, 19, 20"

There may also have been a 14.5" frame, but think they may have been introduced in '93 model year. Not sure...

I bought mine new in '92.

Ideally it needs a respray, but the decals will be a bugger to replicate so I'm holding off for now...!

It was a really good ride though. Nothing exceptional, but nice and smooth, with pretty slow controllable steering - if that makes sense?

Think 'laid-back' is what I'm looking for.

Wasn't the lightest bike in the world, but I had a thoroughly good time with it.

Would give further consideration to going with an alternative saddle. As soon as the nose gets wet (which it will with our winters) the leather loses adhesion and starts tearing the sponge off the seat frame...

Not nice when yer nads get caught in it - which they will...!

Back