Wanted: Hope C2 OPEN Caliper Seals

pburger

Dirt Disciple
I need a pair of caliper seals for my Hope C2 Open calipers. They are slightly fatter than the ones for the Closed system. Hope say thet have been discontinued :-(
Hope someone can help (pun intended!)
Paul

Re:

If you measure them a good o-ring shop...like City Seals and Bearings in Sheffield.. should be able to help. Would hope tell you the size? Are they definitely not the same as C2 as you can still get them here and there? Just wondered if they're swollen.

Thanks for your reply John,
I have a C2 Open on the front brake and C2 Closed on the rear. Both master cylinders have the same seals and kits are around. But, the calipers are definitely different. I didn't realize this and bought two sets of the Closed system seals as that was all I could find plus they just said 'C2'.... sadly the front leaked badly as the fit of the piston was relatively loose compared to the rear :-(

I have spent some time on the phone and email to Hope technical, but they say the parts have been discontinued as its a 20 year old system. They couldn't even give me the specification for the original seal as they said they cleared out all the old records. I was somewhat disappointed that 20 years is considered to old to provide spares.... if it was a car braking system I'd like to think that you only start needing the spares at that age! And to not keep the design records is short sighted at best!!.

Thanks for your recommendation, I try them.

The trouble I have with measuring is that the old seals are distorted/swollen due to age/use etc. and the piston/caliper measurements would need an 'adjustment' to give the required 'tightness' in the various grooves the seals sit in, and also on the cylinder walls. I'd think that is pretty critical between sticking or leaking.... both bad!

Was hoping somebody would have a set or old stock lying around.

Cheers, Paul

Re:

Thanks for your reply RWM1962
Do you think that the old seals were square section, not standard round o-rings would be an issue?
Paul

Different Hope model but when I changed the metal pistons for phenolic on mine I'm pretty sure they wee regular round section.

Some good info from Ross there too.

I'm sure the opens would have been square section too but I've not had any so cannot confirm.....I do have about 20 C2s though!!

If you take the caliper half and piston into a good engineering supplies and state they should be square section they will probably measure it all up and find what you need. Could even ask for round section for the same recess too. I would start with the square section first and if leak swap to the round.....I.E I think the round is more likely to leak.

Pretty sure mine were round. I'll look them up online later as not stripping down again! May be able to tell from pic.

Wouldn't square section be more like to leak in a moving application like a piston?

Thanks you both. I am 100% my c2 open was square section. So was the c2 closed for that matter. These are the only bike brakes I've taken apart, but I've lost count how many car calipers I've replaced seals... and they have all been square section.

Back