Looking for a very special 26" rim...

kleinerguy2

Retro Newbie
I am the original owner of a beautiful 1998 (I know, I know, but I really could use your help!) Klein Attitude Race, which was upgraded to XTR brakes, gear changers, crankset, pedals, etc when I bought it. It is still in excellent condition, and I want to keep it and ride it forever.

But, now it needs a new rear rim, as it is cracking at the spoke holes. Unfortunately, it is an unusual rim, and the brand seems to be defunct.

I would greatly appreciate help from any member in finding a replacement.

The original wheel set is a Cane Creek Cronos, 26 inch, 24 spoke front and 28 spoke rear. One thing that makes these wheels unusual is that both wheels use straight-pull double-butted SS spokes, that is, the nipples are at the hubs, not at the rims. So, the spoke holes at the rims are very small.

The rear wheel has a few more unusual features. First, it is an asymmetric rim, and it’s also an asymmetric hub, with a high flange on the freewheel side, and a low flange on the opposite side. Also, the freewheel side is a crossed spoke pattern, but the other side is radial spoked, as is the front wheel.

The spokes and hubs are in very good condition and can be reused.

So, what I need at a minimum, is a replacement 26” x 1”, 28-hole, asymmetric rim made for straight pull spokes, ideally an original Cane Creek Cronos with black-anodized finish.

If I can get the same spec but in a different brand, I would also like to get the matching front rim.

And, if somebody out there knows where I could get a complete replacement original equipment wheel set, I would be absolutely delighted and forever grateful.

Thanks,

Martin in Canada

Back