Manitou 1 Elastomers

minibluff

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so hello all, I'm after some advice and parts for my 90's Orange Clockwork, the fork Elastomers have perished as they do over the years and I'm looking to rebuild the shocks, I have done loads of googling and found various information online about different methods and ways that they can be repaired and I think my conclusion is to go with original, what do you guy's think ??. I have found the replacement Elastomers in America, but before I go down that route has anyone in the UK got any they want to sell, or knows anywhere in the UK or Europe that might sell them? https://www.suspensionforkparts.net/esh ... h-kit.html

Thanks in advance

Minibluff

YEPPG34zvaR9G0ZSCBZJS6gtIPkFSKksL8NlpSJ5sJMRPt_GczcgBYDmvpsmVfk_NSxUVu_17J8l7iZYL79Fd6vhpaTMmlkiWDLNUZ9GVQGpYD9OHtj9BdpZ3YarHxtJYbNviJ-X5b03ghG1f7-zGdRX50xX4Ff-eI5m9pGsBddt83xGkwjXZiCPAp_Jf0zyq-q9CdaDvVmQJCC493MCiBOMxjQ4QYfw8OV0Xore6cBdO9x04FZBfUF2pekSp6Tdz8DyMVrkt46VEKf92SdE391EX_zDi3b1RxIj5R-dg5bpVG3WWPc8VD4wmFCLSs3v9RdiljZ37TspjlgbJpMvaWaRBJ0kGz8FLXQofIlGDrLzZVS9WEhaL6tSyVWkuc2c3S826TMTxQARJNfHnuz8a4lb9oLZpFCuCO8Foe7kk5KjavEXTohER7BcSalMkjzUA_2RjE5GX4JhLkKHs0Jssa-5ANXEO993J8MKWPaPEkN1gNwUrUXwkOOvOoIzxsQkIVcDq0RefWRHj_QXgHpUydyryOPzUlMghu7G8moBis-1LsPTnftSqgt8ajkP-4LCNSiGzG9dpi5yj7iq5zh4_Nat_givP4euPMXQZiIoMdh44U2rAXdGWg=w421-h747-no

Re:

I've bought various elastomers from Suspension fork parts (Manitou II and III's)

The product is fine, but found postage a tad high and then import duty ontop along with the £8 royal mail handling fee all in all it ended up being bloody expensive. You might scrap under the threshold for import duty if you order just the one set

Oh and welcome to Retro Bike ....

The best way is if you buy polyurethane rod.
"suspensionforkparts" has no option to choose from. I mean you can't choose by stiffness..

google a company that sells polyurethane stuff and they will make yours for a lot cheaper!

or look for a company that sells springs.. they will make it.

both options are better and cheaper than suspensionparts..

( it's just my opinion.. )

MooWoolf":21v05ykb said:
"suspensionforkparts" has no option to choose from. I mean you can't choose by stiffness..

google a company that sells polyurethane stuff and they will make yours for a lot cheaper!

You can choose between medium and firm.

Any idea what I would need to ask a poly rod company for?
They will probably need a spec and how much would I need?

minibluff":2s300z4g said:
MooWoolf":2s300z4g said:

You can choose between medium and firm.

Any idea what I would need to ask a poly rod company for?
They will probably need a spec and how much would I need?

just measure the internal of your fork or the old elastomer.
and they will have a scale for stiffness ( with exact numbers, then you can do the math in a second which one might be good for you and that's it. you will have to pay like $5-6 for each rod.. )

but really. if you find it too risky then stick with suspensionparts.

yesterday I found a Judy on ebay with Kronos Springs inside for $20-30 something..
that could work too.

I have a few sets that I am experimenting with.

I have suspensionforkparts elastomers in my Shocktech (based on M1's) and on the back of the Proflex they are on. It is very very stiff despite having my 18 stone on it.

In another set of the same forks I have on a hardtail I rebuilt them using Titanium Valve springs in stacks, A bit soft and not damped. Next stage is to experiment on elastomer one leg and springs in the other.

When I was researching the forks I found a good thread.
The long and the short of it is. For starters what you want to ask for is Polyurethane rod 40A Durometer in 3/4" OD. 60A Durometer if your heavier than average. Experiment from there.

I think you need around 4 inches in each leg. You will also want a very small amount of something softer for the top out elastomer in each leg. (although mine have all been ok and re used)

james1985":3r99hbob said:
I have a few sets that I am experimenting with.

I have suspensionforkparts elastomers in my Shocktech (based on M1's) and on the back of the Proflex they are on. It is very very stiff despite having my 18 stone on it.

In another set of the same forks I have on a hardtail I rebuilt them using Titanium Valve springs in stacks, A bit soft and not damped. Next stage is to experiment on elastomer one leg and springs in the other.

When I was researching the forks I found a good thread.
The long and the short of it is. For starters what you want to ask for is Polyurethane rod 40A Durometer in 3/4" OD. 60A Durometer if your heavier than average. Experiment from there.

I think you need around 4 inches in each leg. You will also want a very small amount of something softer for the top out elastomer in each leg. (although mine have all been ok and re used)

Thanks for the info :)

Back