WTD; Small lathe - use of

thejackal

Retro Guru
Hello all

Really looking for 1 of you to put me in touch with a friend of a friend.

I need someone with a lathe to do some very delicate metal turning on a brake component. In my opinion, and I know nothing about metal turning, it looks like about 2 minutes worth of work.

I'm quite happy to pay a little for the work to be done. I'm in Leeds. If any body can help me, or put me in touch with someone who could help me, I'd be very grateful.

Last time I had something like this done, the job took 5 minutes, but the workshop "had" to charge the minimum invoicing amount of £25.00!!!!

what is it you need doing ?

i ask because i know a few toolmakers , who do me a few jobs from time to time

Small lathe - use of

Having bought a set of NOS Curve canti brakes for my retro Kona, I found I needed the canti cable.

Easy - NOT QUITE. After looking for a while and trying various things, I bought a MAFAC Racer straddle cable kit from the USA. When it came - I thought it was just what I needed.

However, the cable clamp end is too big to fit in the curve brake. The other end is fine. It needs to de reduced by a couple or 3mm in diameter. As you can probably imagine, the length of the piece is only about 12mm long.

If a photo might help explain, due to my lack of technical expertise, then I can pm you some.

so did i . it took me a lot of sandpaper , time and the loss of 2 fingertips . :LOL:

Small lathe - use of

Slim - will take some pictures and e-mail tomorrow,

Cchris2lou - I know what you mean! I have bought a vice, some tiny metal files, and a carborundum stone and filed and filed and rubbed and rubbed and hardly made an impact. Why did I sell you my Curve brakes complete with cable?

Hi Jackal,

Did you by any chance buy your curve brakes as a full set from a guy on STW? (complete less cables)

Pebble on STW has a NOS set of Curve brakes for sale .

@ Jackal . this small part is the only reason I bought your brakes .

Small lathe - use of

Sunchaser.

Indeed I did. And the brakes themselves are immaculate.

But, had I known thay didn't come with the canti cable I might not have bothered.

I have spent a small fortune on various bits and peices trying to find a solution to the problem.

Back