Wanted, MTB Frame for Tourer Build. (newbie)

Subaloo

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

Firstly I'm a newbie with limited knowledge MTB'S sorry..
My cycle days go back to mates extending forks on Rayleigh choppers, me having the first Grifter in town, which was massive at the time.
My dad bought be a lovely racer for school & paper round, within two weeks, we had it stripped frame repainted, wheels taken apart.
It was great my mates dad was a sparky, so we was making our own cow horns on his tube bender.
Happy days.
Anywaay to the point, I'm 49 now, fat and board. I'm thinking about doing some touring. If possible I would like to build the bike myself.
I know very little about mountain bikes except they are strong and people have toured on them.
I am 6'2 32 inside leg, I'm looking for advise on a good, if possible retro frame to start my build from steel frame. To add 26' wheels.
I have no doubt this has been asked before but I'm like a kid at the moment. So thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.
Cheers all
Jay

You are starting from all the right thinking in my view. Early 90's steel MTBs make great tourers. I would suggest Marins (Palisades, Bear Valley, Eldridge or Pine Mountain). The first two are a little more upright and have heavier tubing - which makes them rather better for loaded touring. They are all really common in bigger sizes, a plus for you when locating one. You should be able to find a decent one around £100-150.

I've ridden on 4 continents over the past 25 years on my (now heavily modded) 1990 Marin Palisades. I rode the Pacific Coast of the USA on it in 1994 with a camping load when entirely standard apart from some new wheels and slick tyres.
27838532024_793c44e484_c.jpg

Thanks very much.
I really appreciate you taking the time to show me your bike and for the advice.
It's just what I needed after endless hours looking at bikes when knowing in the back of my mind this is how I want to ride.
You have put a big grin on my face.
Many many thanks.
Jason
If you spot anything intersting please let me know if you get time. Thank you

Re:

I used an 88 rockhopper, but got my mate a 92 bear valley for touring. these bikes are over 20 odd years+ old now and still good to go!

have to agree though, marins are good allrounders and reasonably priced 2nd hand.

moors_zpszhyo6w6b.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Many thanks Chris for taking the time for me, I'm going to contact the seller and see if he would consider courier collection as I live in the depths of Suffolk, or if not a train job perhaps. Thanks again for your time.

Oaklec, thank you as well for taking time to give me advise, would you mind messaging me with more details on your newer frame please, location, price etc ?

Thanks both for all the help.

Back