Dawes Edge 1994

Airship17

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I'm looking for a 1994 Dawes Edge XT frame and forks, the 17" 18" approx size. Sort of light brown metallic with green decals, it would be.

I had one and loved it dearly, sadly it was killed in collision with an out-of-control dog (as I nearly was, but only nearly . . . . )

Just thought I'd ask, in case anyone has one in the loft :D

Thanks

Rob

Yes indeed. Page 5 of 48 in the scan of the 1994 catalogue. Ahhh. Sadly after the "close encounter of the dog kind" there was a neat pleat in the down tube and a very steep head angle. I had concussion for about a week.
Oh well. Maybe I'll find one. Otherwise might look for a contemporary Kona.

Re:

I had one of those, 18" frame, it was a bit small for me so I gave it to my brother in law to get him into cycling. I'm not sure I can steal it back and sell it to you though...

Konas are everywhere, hold out for the Dawes, though I think they are quite rare.

Surely he must be ready for an upgrade by now? ;o)

It's an idle fancy at the moment, so yes, I'll just hang out and see what comes up.

Well, I have a (somewhat different kettle of fish) Scott Scale 50 frame weighs 1.5kg, aluminium with aramid winding. Would need forks, disc wheels, blah, however. Wants 120mm travel I think, and is of an XC geometry - I went a more slack route eventually. I spose it could work if you also had a pile of such things to get rid of . . . as one often does. And if he was interested in building something up.

Did you/he have the original forks?

Got rid of the remaining v-brake stuff a while ago and TBH I wouldn't bother going back.

Except for one of those. . . .

sounds awful, aluminium, 120 travel and discs...

Yes the dawes has the original geomax forks, I have the original bars somewhere. I think just about the only thing I dont have is the original wheels. The sidewalls on the rims got scary thin, though stheno rims do come up on ebay as nos from time to time. I do have some new old stock campy rims stashed away somewhere but cant recall if I have any sthenos.

I think maybe a better swap would be something like a kona cinder cone, lava dome or kilauea with a set of kona P2 forks, then I could swap the parts across and he'd consider it an upgrade

Back