Girvin vector/Noleen crosslink fork parts

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Just acquired a set that should be in working order. However the steerer is 1 8nch shimmer to 1 1/8. I know this was an option back in the day as standard but I'm wondering if anyone has a 1 1/8 steerer tube and upper clamp kicking about for these forks they don't need?

I'm hoping to fit a more modern shock to the forks and the upper clamp in 1 1/8 might provide me a little more wriggle room for a modern shock.

Here's hoping someone has a trashed fork I can pillage some parts from.

Re: Girvan vector fork parts

If I can get an air shock to work in it's place, I'm sure it will become available.

ishaw":2xj2lz16 said:
If I can get an air shock to work in it's place, I'm sure it will become available.
I have done that to a Girvin (later version Noleen) fork. Used a Rock Shox Monarch air shock instead of the stock Noleen Coilover unit. Here's some info you might find helpful. 1. Finding a modern air shock with the exact same eye to eye measurement as the original shock is near impossible. The only one that I'm aware of is a Risse shock that's specially designed to be a replacement for the original coilover shocks. I didn't want to shell out over 200$ for the Risse shock so I was cheeky and got a Rock Shox Monarch for 50$ that was the closest eye to eye measurement I could find. 2. If you expect o save a bunch of weight compared to the original coilover shock, prepare to be disappointed. When I got the Monarch shock and I compared its weight to the Noleen shock, it turns out the Monarch is only lighter by something like 7 grams, not really worth the effort (don't know how the Risse shock stacks up). 3. Most important: riding impression. Modern air shocks are designed for a rather high leverage ratio of the rear-end so they are waay over-damped. Which means, after bodging around to get the shock in (wasn't easy as I had to file away on some parts to make sure there's no collision between the moving parts) on the first test ride: disappointment. The fork felt dead and unresponsive. Too much shock sticktion? too over-damped? I even went so far as to take the shock apart and re-fill it with a lighter weight oil in order to improve responsiveness. It helped but still, I ended up switching back to the original Noleen shock which I serviced previously.
Bottom line: If you feel like the original shock is too bouncy and you like a setup that's very strongly damped maybe you could mess around with an air shock (I'll be happy to sell you my Monarch shock for cheap ;) ). If you want to save weight, don't bother unless you use a super-light shock like a DT Swiss carbon one which will be very expensive and I'm not sure about size compatibility. You're probably better off finding a titanium spring for your original shock. The Risse shock might work well since it's designed as an aftermarket item for this fork but they're rare and a new one is kinda pricey. I don't know what your budget is on your build.
I ended up re-placing my Noleen fork with a similar but much neater Look Fournales which overall is lighter and works really well.
Hope this helps.

Cheers for that. It's not really about weight, just thought there might be some benefit to performance. Guess not then? Might be up for the Monarch and/or any info you have that can help me with the modification if I go down that route. As I've not got the fork, I have no idea what the i2i is on the shock. I do have a DT Swiss one in the stash, but if it is the right i2i is another question.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures during the modification process. I'm lazy like that, want to get it done right away so no pics. I'll have to dig the fork out and try to get the monarch shock in. then take some pics.

Cheers, but dont worry. If I get stuck maybe, but not unless it's necessary. Appreciate the offer though.

Back