XTR M900/901 or XT M737 F & R mech

H

Retro Guru
Gentlemen lend me your ears.
We all know it's madness to build a bike up from the front or rear mech, so let me know what you've got. That way you can use the cash to pimp your actual ride with spankly anodised/CNC'd (delete as appropriate) loveliness.

My seat tube measures at 29.5mm. I'll take advice as to which would be the best front mech fit, that said I'm thinking a 31.8 band will suffice. NB the front mech has to be a top pull.

Save me from a single speed hipster based mockery.

All offers gratefully received.

H.

Attachments

• 55214653[2].jpg
    55214653[2].jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 419
I've still got this lone M737/9 RD from my clearance specials, for just £5 plus postage (£7):

Alternatively, I've got a 31.8 TP M901 FD for £10 + postage (£5). Looks OK, the clamp seems to be a little bit ovaled tho'.

Hope this helps, Nikica.

H":8br0n54c said:
My seat tube measures at 29.5mm. I'll take advice as to which would be the best front mech fit, that said I'm thinking a 31.8 band will suffice.
If this is for your Neil Orrell, a Columbus Max seat tube should measure 28.6mm (plus a little bit for paint). A 31.8mm band will be too big (but could be shimmed). 30.0mm bands did exist at one time, but they're very rare, and it's unlikely your frame requires that oddball size.

I have a short cage 737 that will be for sale soon. Grubby right now but I will clean it up . Let me know if interested

Re:

Thanks for the intel. The frame is powder coated by Neil and its application is super thick and lush. Most likely the surface damage or patina I alluded to is crimping from a 28.6 mech band within this finish. I'm happy to go with a 28.6mm if you guys think its a good idea. Let me know what you think, H.

Back