Syncros aluminum craks stress transfer device wanted

syncrosfan

Senior Retro Guru
I have recently acquired a set of Syncros Near Net Forged cranks but they were missing the black anodized Stress Transfer Device. I know it's a long shot but I'll try anyway, if anyone has a busted set of those cranks and doesn't need the Stress Transfer Device, please let me know. I wanted to try this first before I go off and remake the part from scratch. Attached is a pic off the net to highlight what the stress transfer device looks like.

Attachments

• 5861469014_9fda9b9331_z.jpg
    5861469014_9fda9b9331_z.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 684
I'm afraid I don't have a spare one but do have a set of these cranks if you need measurements. Always wondered why that bit was seperately, still not entirely sure now.

Off topic, how's the nuke proof coming along? I've been told my bearings are progressing.

The Nuke Proof is coming along slowly. Almost done with the HED wheels for it. We do have another taker for an additional set of linkages so the price will go down to the original quote. I'll ask the CNC guy this week what's the ETA? He had some eye issues to deal with so he couldn't work full speed, hopefully he'll get better soon so he can start on those linkages. I was thinking to get the CAD done on the stress transfer device and give him the data to mill but it might take a while.
Syncros was claiming that the extra black plate was relieving the crank from stress risers in that area since the two tabs sticking out next to the crank would create a very sharp transition to the crank arm and that would be weakening the material by creating stress risers in that area... XTR M900 cranks seem similar and don't have any issues as far as I know. I did get the cranks super cheap so I can't really complain about the missing plate. Anyway thanks for your offer to help! I will take you up on it if nothing comes up in a couple of days (measurements and some close-up pics).

Re:

Haven't got one and the first ones didn't use them.

Given they snapped further down the arm it all seems a bit pointless in the design.

More like a bad mold and a bodge with one marketing ;-)
Would be interested to hear the real reason... Given every other manufacturer seems to have manage fine.

They seemed to snap at the bend in the arm (maybe the stamped in logo generated some stress risers ironically and made them snap further down). The pair I have don't have the embossed logos, making me think it's one of the later versions (that had a printed on logo).
It does seem more like marketing BS since there are many other cranks out there that didn't have that issue. Now I have to re-make the stupid STD plate (Ha! they refer to it as a STD plate in the manual)...

Re:

Got the CAD work done on the plate. It's somewhat simplified compared to the original forged one in order to make it easier to mill. Now time to wait for the plastic prototype to make sure everything works as it should, then it's CAD data release.

Attachments

• CADshot.jpg
    CADshot.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 575
Over 20,that would drive the per/piece price way down. I could mail you the plastic prototype so you can check it out for yourself if you want to...
Does it mean you'll have a bunch of Syncros forged cranks up for sale soon? (or at least as soon as you have the missing parts?)
Now I need to start pestering the CNC guy to get his ass in gear and start cranking out parts...

syncrosfan":3ceo35ej said:
Over 20,that would drive the per/piece price way down. I could mail you the plastic prototype so you can check it out for yourself if you want to...
Does it mean you'll have a bunch of Syncros forged cranks up for sale soon? (or at least as soon as you have the missing parts?)
Now I need to start pestering the CNC guy to get his ass in gear and start cranking out parts...

I bought out a supplier... II have a large quantity of the crank arms, about 40 seatposts and about 50 stems ... all the crank arms are missing the plates...

The crank arms were from the prototype run so they are not engraved in the front... they just came back from the powdercoaters with matte black, All are NOS, never used... They will get White syncros decals too... once I have the plates for them they will be released for sale =)

I trust your judgment on the plate, no need to send it to me =)

Back