Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:22 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts - No cross posting adverts**

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:08 am 
Retro Guru

Practically EVERY one they made of that series suffered the flange cracking. The design was defective and they used the wrong grade of aluminium on top of which (and I got that told to me straight from the guys at nuke proof as I used to be a dealer for them).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:20 pm 
Dirt Disciple

DeeEight wrote:
Practically EVERY one they made of that series suffered the flange cracking. The design was defective and they used the wrong grade of aluminium on top of which (and I got that told to me straight from the guys at nuke proof as I used to be a dealer for them).

In which way it could be avoided the failure of the flange?
Of course lacing the spokes 3X, but also to do a more "relaxed" tensioning of the spokes?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:06 pm 
Retro Guru

There's no avoiding the fatigue cracks, less tension in the spokes would probably make the situation worse if anything. The way they machined them was the main problem. If you build with those hubs, don't expect more than a few thousand kilometers of riding out of them before cracks appear. If you're lucky, the flange will crack where its bonded to the carbon center tube first and you'll spot that visually. If you're unlucky, the cracks will grow in the actual spoke zone and half the flange will spontaneously crack off destroying your wheel and leading to a crash while in motion (as happened to a racer friend of mine in the early 90s).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:23 pm 
Dirt Disciple

DeeEight wrote:
There's no avoiding the fatigue cracks, less tension in the spokes would probably make the situation worse if anything. The way they machined them was the main problem. If you build with those hubs, don't expect more than a few thousand kilometers of riding out of them before cracks appear. If you're lucky, the flange will crack where its bonded to the carbon center tube first and you'll spot that visually. If you're unlucky, the cracks will grow in the actual spoke zone and half the flange will spontaneously crack off destroying your wheel and leading to a crash while in motion (as happened to a racer friend of mine in the early 90s).

Ok thanks, understood.
The main aim was to have the matching couple of hubs on an exposition bike, so very few kilometres made with this bike...
The problem is that the flange has cracked without riding it :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:03 pm 
Retro Guru

The ones I've seen fail were always cross laced, so radial laced would be even worse most likely. I once had a shimano RX100 hub which I radial laced, which detonated the flanges off of, when the wheel fell over in my basement.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:23 pm 
Dirt Disciple

This was the uncracked couple of hubs...

Attachments:
IMGA0143_01.JPG
IMGA0143_01.JPG [ 387.08 KiB | Viewed 67 times ]
IMGA0137_01.JPG
IMGA0137_01.JPG [ 467.94 KiB | Viewed 67 times ]