Klein Karma Elastomer's?

PACERC250T

Retro Guru
Hi

Can anyone help in locating someone who makes new elastomer's for the back of my 1998 Klein Karma?

Being new to Klein, I have no idea where to get frame specific parts for them, seeing as the company doesn't exist any more...

It's going to have a total rebuild and will be an all american bike (just like the all Italian Bianchi I've just finished and sold). So if anyone has any ideas or bits, please get in touch through RetroBike

Regards

Pete

Here's a picture to start...

Here's the sorry state of the frame as bought at the weekend... :(

And yes, that is a spring in place of the elastomer...! :roll:

Attachments

• Mine for RetroBike.jpg
    Mine for RetroBike.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 1,862
I considered that myself, wondered about whether it would be possible to fit a standard shock to it, but pics didn't elude to the mountings, and I've enough bike on my plate already.

Shock

Yeah I wondered that myself...

There are other similar frames from Klein from the same era that did have a shock that stood upright and I wondered whether to modify the frame to the later set-up; although the swing arm is slightly different. Not that fabricating something is a problem, as I can do that at work and get paid for it :)

I've attached the later style of rear set-up below

Attachments

• Later Style.JPG
    Later Style.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 1,852
may be able to help, any idea on the dimensions ?

outer diameter, hole diameter , length ?

Size

Not sure yet, as it hasn't arrived here in West Wales; only bought it via ebay at the weekend

I've bought some period Rock Shox to go on them and will need some help with those once they land too

I have the 1998 catalogue, from my recolection the karma didn't have cylindrical elastomers, but more of a cake slice shaped setup.

I'll dig it out and get you a picture.

As for spares, silly question but have you tried trek?
Failing that it may be possible to have something made to fit. The karma was I believe the road (albeit flat bar) relative to the mantra.

Info

That would be great, thanks! Whilst on the subject, any chance of a complete scan of the whole thing? ;)

I did find a version of the bike that was made for the road but that was called a Pave... (bottom photo) and another version without the word Pave (photo above that) so a bit confused now... :?

Attachments

• klein_karmapave-01.JPG
    klein_karmapave-01.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 1,826
  • cl_birdandbike005c1200.jpg
    cl_birdandbike005c1200.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1,826
nice find, never seen one of them in the flesh
From what i remember it looked like it had an accordian on the back lol

SLIM":2sgi700k said:
may be able to help, any idea on the dimensions ?

outer diameter, hole diameter , length ?

The elastomer is approx. 4" x 4" x 2". There is a hole through the middle but I can drill that in the engineering workshop at work :)

I've added a close-up photo of what it looks like on the road bike version

Attachments

• Karma Elastomer.jpg
    Karma Elastomer.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,691
Back