Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:36 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Forum rules

**Classified Rules & Guidance - Feedback - Dispute Procedure - Gold Trader Status - All Adverts Need A Price - 5 Adverts Maximum - Leave Prices In Sold Adverts - No cross posting adverts**

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:30 pm 
Retro Guru

I have a 1990 Explosif frame which I would like to rebuild. I also have a few retro parts to et me on my way, including an original decal set, ready for its respray.

I am after a pair of Kona Track Two forks. Can anyone help? Top money paid.

Advice: If I cant get the forks, I have an early set of Pace RC30 rigid forks in chrome.

Rather than going for a replica paint job should I put on the Pace forks and have the bike chrome'd with original decals? Almost paying homage!

Let me know your opinions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:47 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Which are the track two forks? The dual legged suspension ones? Or am I waaaay off.

Chrome. Hmmm. You talking about getting the lot chromed? What paintjob was on the '90 explosif. IIRC it would've been a splatter job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:29 pm 
Retro Guru

Track Two's are a bit like Pace RC30's. Rigid forks, separate legs, crown and steerer all bolted together. You are thinking of the Z-Link. I have a couple of photos but don't know how to post them here!

The original paint job was splatter. <www.kona.dk> is an excellent site with all the spec and pic of most Konas from 1990-2005

I was thinking of getting the whle frame chromed with the chromw forks but retro spec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:26 am 
Old School Grand Master

do you see many decent chrome mtb parts these days? Bontrager learnt that lesson the hard way with their old clamp up forks. Chroming can cause the inner steel to "sweat". basically the internal steel rusts away as it cant breath. Same thing happened with the early nickel plated marin team issues. Eventually holes appear in the chrome, with the steel underneath being in even worse shape... I have some pace RC30s like this :(

Inkeepin with kona I reckon. Look for a previously used 1 stock colour & get it (cheaply, normally less than £50) at your local powdercoaters, or for more glossy finish (& higher price) a car body shop.
Obviously if you want a full restro job, decals etc argos cycles is the answer, but £150 min.

good luck. I've done bare bones to full restore & its probs the most rewarding :D