Raceface BB for modern build

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
For the Epic. I have some really odd looking modern 4 arm raceface cranks which take...shudder...some kind of splined BB. Think its called "Octopus" or something. :oops:

Im not sure what this technology is as I'm so far behind, but I'm wondering if anyone has a clue what BB I need to make all this work?

Do I need a raceface one or a shimano and can someone send me one in exchange for some dosh....

:LOL:

prolly ISIS drive you need. Looks similar to shimano octopus.
Think I flogged my ISIS BB as they do not seem to last long at all..

Jez you need..

Shimano octapuss is totally different from ISIS which basically means abbreviated ,international standard intercourse star-destroyer or something like that :shock: You will need isis..Bets to take out your old bracket and make a note of all the numbers..Hope this helps JOE H. ;)

Nooooooooooo! don't do it. Race Face ISIS BBs are notoriously rubbish. Mine fell apart after a couple of hundred kms and most people you speak to will have a horror story about RF ISIS bb's if they've used them.

Shimano Octalink will not work with your cranks, which is a shame as they seem more sturdy than Race Face ISIS.

If you 'must' stick with your Race Face cranks, try a BB from FSA or Truvativ as they seem to have a bettter rep than RF.

I currently run Race Face ISIS cranks (Turbine LP) on my modern bike, but I'll soon be flogging them so that I can use a Shimano BB/Crank set up. Shimano may be bland, but its just so much better :(

If you really want a bling bracket you could try the new SKS

Hey Jez, has Russel mentions RACEFACE brackets are utter shite! I forgot to mention this before ,but if you are sticking with ISIS ive heard real good things about the New SKS brackets and also Crank Brothers supposed to be good but Google it first matey... ;)
So do really only ride retro bikes :cool: ? I did this for a while but was more expensive.. losing 1/2 the anodising on a new set of RSR's after one ride sucks..it is the norths jolly nice terrain and notorious MUD :roll:

Jez, I'm sure I have a nice Ti axled ISIS BB somewhere, bought it for the Seven but have since changed to Wood + Cooks and have put the Race Face on the GFs Turner with a different BB, could dig it out for you given a day or two...

Hey thanks guys.

Yeh Pete - do that - would be good.

Im scared now of these modern rubbish BB's. I dont understand the lingo and already I'm on the verge of selling up and going back to retro...at least that kit was familiar.....

(tremble)

So can I use the raceface cranks with any BB? If its ISIS surely I can use Shimano or am I so wrong? Shall I just whack a square taper in there and be done with it?

And it's not a race face, it's either FSA or Truativ, but I can't remember at the moment and the girlfriend's parent's dogs are guarding the bike cupboard so I can't check now without evoking the wrath of two smelly 12 year old spaniels who, once awake, will raise the neighbourhood, blood things.

Back