WTD: Kona HOT

sheeeesh, am I good to you?????

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Kona-Steel-Tea ... dZViewItem

that, my friend, is a Kona Hot, the frame is a '97 I believe, and its a 19" and it has a matching painted Bomber! result!

(and before anyone says it isnt a Hot, its based on the explosif, but custom made - which the Hot was, its Konas steel team XC bike - which the Hot was and its painted in the smae paint job the Hot is in the '97 catalogue and several other team shots of the era)

God I'm good.

>>>>>you realise you need to find me a 17" stars and bars Hot now right? ;)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
You`re good but...

look again - very closely. Keep in mind that this is my opinion having never seen a "Kona Team Hot" First of all the seller (whom I have bought from before) never once mentions that the frame is in fact a HOT. He refers to it as a "rare steel frame". Secondly, have a look at the top tube where it is welded to the seat post. That tube is slightly flattened and tapered as in the 1997 Explosif. Also the rear dropouts are a dead give-a-way that it`s a 97 Explosif. If that doesn`t tip you off, the 96, 97, and 98 HOT was made from Reynolds 853 tubing not Columbus Max OR. And one more thing - the "KONA" down tube decals are misplaced (too close the the crankset) indicating to me that this frame in fact is a 1997 Explosif that has been resprayed. I don`t believe the HOT was ever produced with Columbus Max OR tubing, but the 97 Explosif was. Where are the "HOT" decals on the top tube?

This frame is a nice piece of Kona engineering but it`s no a HOT. Someone`s going to feel very ripped off when they think they have something they don`t. The advert should read... 1997 Explosif - nicely refinished. And bidding should begin at $450.00

And I will keep you in mind if I see a 17" Hot. Thanks for your watchful eye Mate.

Hmmmm, I take your point, to be honest I didnt look at it that closely! as to whether the Hot was ever made with Columbus Max OR, well I know it was a full custom frame, so I guess if they had the tubes that year and someone asked for it then they could have doen it, Ive seen a few Hei Heis and King Kahunas with one off touches so I cant say its completely unfeasible.....

Cheers!

Back