Front disc brakes

charliealphamike

Dirt Disciple
I guess this might be a longshot but here goes. I have a Pace RC200 F6 fitted with Pace RC36 Pro Class forks. I've had the bike from new. Disc Brakes were a relatively new innovation when it was built so I stuck with XTR V Brakes. I've always fancied upgrading the front brakes to Disc.

Does anyone know if there is a kit available or does anyone know of a Disc Brake set up for sale anywhere for this fork?

Re:

Does it have a disc mount already? If so, what is the spacing between the holes? ( pics would help...)
I would imagine it's doable. Hope made all sorts of adapters back in the day and they're still available, either from Hope or a Retrobiker's shed...
Hope C2s were popular in the early days and were good brakes. I believe spares are still available. There is even a caliper and kit to convert your back end to disc...

Thanks for your reply. The forks/frame do not have disc mounts. I'm sure someone (maybe Hope) made a bracket for the forks that was retro fit and obviously I know you can change the rear drop-outs (but I'm happy to retain the V Brake set up on the rear). I've spoken to Hope recently about my BB so might just contact them again to see if they can help.

apparently the original disc kit which pace made for these forks caused the drop outs to de bond as they were never intended to take the rotational stresses which disc brakes produce.I had exactly the same forks and wanted to do the same thing but stayed with my xtrs because of the issues.your call but I would advise not to go down this path .The pro class are lovely forks I still run a pair but they were buit n an age of cantilevers not discs.

Re:

I'd also go down this road with caution. I bought a pair of pro class forks as spares, the reason they were soares was the carbon leg had cracked due to having had the disc mount fitted. Assume the forces just split the fork down the middle of the leg.

I'd be tempted to but a disc specific lave fork if you want discs up front. You'd probably be able to sell yours to front a more modern pace fork.

kaydee":2r0222ze said:
apparently the original disc kit which pace made for these forks caused the drop outs to de bond as they were never intended to take the rotational stresses which disc brakes produce.I had exactly the same forks and wanted to do the same thing but stayed with my xtrs because of the issues.your call but I would advise not to go down this path .The pro class are lovely forks I still run a pair but they were buit n an age of cantilevers not discs.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Re: Re:

ishaw":2qishdt2 said:
I'd also go down this road with caution. I bought a pair of pro class forks as spares, the reason they were soares was the carbon leg had cracked due to having had the disc mount fitted. Assume the forces just split the fork down the middle of the leg.

I'd be tempted to but a disc specific lave fork if you want discs up front. You'd probably be able to sell yours to front a more modern pace fork.

Also good to know. Thanks.

There is this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hope-C2-Fron ... SwbxFfKJKW

Way over priced I reckon, but always try an offer, or wait till its relisted a number of times as its unlikely to sell at that.

As to cracking the leg, thats totally possible but probably more down to some people thinking they're working on the Titanic or such and just tighten things up far too much.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
There are a couple of kits available for the fork, a Pace one and a Hope one, though never personally heard of any issues using them others on here have, so i would be cautious now. You could always ask Pace or Tim (justbackdated) on here, probably your best bet.

The best option though would be to sell or swap yours for the RC36 Pro Class 2 fork or the RC36 Evo 3, both have the disc mount as part of the dropout.

Back