WTD: shifter indicator window thing screws

RickTheUncivil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I got my mitts on a set of XTR M950 STI's. They were caked in cack and didnt shift but I cleaned them up and they seem to work OK. But there is a problem - each side is missing one of the teeny little screws that attaches the gear indicator window to the top.

I have had a rummage around the spares box and thought I had it cracked, an old XT 739 shifter with a snapped off window and the screws still in place. But no, they are a couple of mm too shorter and don't engage the thread. Damn you Shimano!

Anyone got any spares, a dead shifter than can be pillaged, or info on where I can get hold of said parts?

Ta

You could try Model fixings, slightly old fashioned web site and a little tricky to navigate but they’ve got every small screw I’ve ever needed.
http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/

good call. worth a look. Trouble is I'm not sure what I'm looking for!
think its time to get the calipers out and measure the head diameter and thread length

Re:

Nice one. The 739 I have was the correct head size but the thread was a bit shorter, maybe a later version might be where to look. I'd appreciate you checking. I'll see if I can get some measuring done at the weekend

Re:

Right then.

The XT 739 shifter uses a 4mm long bolt.
the XTR 950 STI uses a 6mm long bolt.

Now, maybe it's different because it's STI and maybe it's different because it's XTR. But I need 2x teeny bolt things in the 6mm variety.

Anyone got handy spares available?

Thinking about it, I have an XT 739 STI on the explosif, I could dismantle that and find out. Oooh, and I have an XTR shifter on the hei hei. Might help inform on what spares to look for.

Re:

I'll have a rummage tomorrow as I think I have some spare screws. Failing that, I'll check a flight deck kit I have, if there are spare screws in there they should fit. I think the silver xt shifters are essentially xtr rebadged,was it m750? Might be an option for spares?

Re:

Measurements show the shorter screw is 4mm long and the longer one 6mm.

Attachments

• DSC_1612.jpg
    DSC_1612.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 333
  • DSC_1613.jpg
    DSC_1613.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 333
Hi Rick, planning some shed tidying today so I will have a look, think I might have some kicking about.

Back