Campagnolo Icarus or Record OR canti brake

Re: Re:

ferrus":30buhrkn said:
Rare to see those beautiful levers for sale.
Personally, I much prefer the early Record OR canti's to Icarus (or later Rec' ORs) as they use that unique 'thrust washer' pivot system instead of Icarus' conventional pivot/bushing. A fab design that's works better IMHO.

Not tried the earlier Ines, does the washer add power or feel to the brake?

Re:

So whereas most canti's pivot on their own bushing or directly on the brake bosses, the original Record OR's use an elaborate bushing on which only the thin width of the arms pivot. This reduces friction but would be uselessly flexy and wobbly - so to keep it stable, the front cap screws (very precisely) up against the arm to support it and keep it rigid. There's a bit of extra friction front and rear, but less in the pivot and the arms are solid.
These are the most powerful canti's I've used and have a great feel with the right levers.
Icarus are nice too, but no better than many other good brakes in my experience.

Re: Re:

ferrus":2284dr78 said:
So whereas most canti's pivot on their own bushing or directly on the brake bosses, the original Record OR's use an elaborate bushing on which only the thin width of the arms pivot. This reduces friction but would be uselessly flexy and wobbly - so to keep it stable, the front cap screws (very precisely) up against the arm to support it and keep it rigid. There's a bit of extra friction front and rear, but less in the pivot and the arms are solid.
These are the most powerful canti's I've used and have a great feel with the right levers.
Icarus are nice too, but no better than many other good brakes in my experience.

Thank you for explaining ferrus, it's great learning new stuff here :)
Have to give some a go at some point.

Re:

No worries. Hope you find a nice set of either, Campag really hit the spot with Record OR and Icarus I reckon - lovely stuff all round. :)

Back