A couple of relatively cheap bikes (either retro or modern)

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm starting to look for a couple of relatively cheap bikes for my recently retired in-laws to get back into some light cycling after a good few years' break. The bikes will be used mostly on paths so hybrids could be considered, but I'm guessing MTBs will probably give more options. I haven't got a fixed budget as such - it depends what's around and what parts of my own I'll be able to put in. But probably looking in the region of £100 per bike, better if less but a little over could be possible for the right bike. Location could either be Hampshire (where I am) or Durham area (where they are), or if you can post then great. The rough requirements will be:

Lightish frames (so probably aluminium)
Able to be set up for comfort
Decent enough to enjoy riding but need for overkill (disc brakes/full suspension etc)
One for a 6' male, one 5' 6" female (so the latter will need to be a woman's or small mens bike)
No problem if a few parts or work here and there is required
[Edit: ideally V-brakes rather than cantis, threadless steerers, and if possible 8/9-speed wheels so I can keep them going with the parts I have a bit easier in future.]

Would love to hear if anyone has any options for me. Cheers! :)

I have a very nice DB in 21" that can be posted for around £70 - it needs nothing although you might want some tyres. TrueTemper AVR frame used right up to the DX equipped Apex model so does actually ride nice.

file.php

I also have a 19" Ridgeback 602LX in a gopping yellow /purple fade that also doesnt really need anything, currently running new Schwalbe city jets.

Pre-rebuild pic

file.php

Again £70 posted via Paisley Freight @ £22.50

Thanks for these, to be honest I'm probably looking for something a bit less retro though - so that I can keep them going in future without too much trouble I'd ideally want V-brakes rather than cantis and threadless steerers. Would be handy though not crucial to have 8/9-speed wheels too.

Re:

I'm currently lashing up an Aluminium RSP frame with some left over parts from my workplace (will take V brakes or discs). It's about 70% complete at the moment but I can probably have it finished in a few days with a bit of effort....It's 18" officialy but looks a bit smaller to me.

I was thinking of building it SS for the time being just to get it working, it definitely should work out at less than a ton and I should be able to post it.

Let me know if it might work for the lady and I can work out a price and PM some images over :)

Re:

I have an Orange Gringo 17" in purple STX/Alivio 8 speed with 100mm Duke forks, currently fitted with road tyres and a alloy rack, very good condition. I would want £122.50 posted for it.

Back