Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:01 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 1525  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:07 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

theres an idea, a matt metallic anthracite would be nice - sort of like granite catching the sun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:16 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

therealkw15 wrote:
Is it Mr Williams doing the coating? If so, do you mind saying what price is he charging so I have a bargaining chip when I phone him on Monday!

£75, but that includes blasting the GT frame back to bare ally as well. Not exactly cheap, but then the metallic powdercoat isn't one of the basic jobs I suppose. He's really busy at the moment too - couldn't mind talking to me on the phone last week either :( Thought I just had that affect on the ladieeez...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:37 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

zigzag wrote:
£75, but that includes blasting the GT frame back to bare ally as well. Not exactly cheap, but then the metallic powdercoat isn't one of the basic jobs I suppose. He's really busy at the moment too - couldn't mind talking to me on the phone last week either :( Thought I just had that affect on the ladieeez...

Yoiks! When I spoke to him it was £40-50, and I thought the blasting was included. Then again my colour specification was 'blue, nearest colour you have as standard'. I can see it being the red oxide primer followed by a tedious and unsatisfactory rattlecan job yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:49 pm 

therealkw15 wrote:
zigzag wrote:

Yoiks! When I spoke to him it was £40-50, and I thought the blasting was included. Then again my colour specification was 'blue, nearest colour you have as standard'. I can see it being the red oxide primer followed by a tedious and unsatisfactory rattlecan job yet...

That sounds about right... £50 for the Stumpy powdercoat, £25 to strip the GT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:11 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

zigzag wrote:
That sounds about right... £50 for the Stumpy powdercoat, £25 to strip the GT?

Ah right, you're getting the Stumpy stripped and coated and the GT stripped for £75. I'm more optimistic now!

My dilemma once I get it coated is whether to get the decals/stickers back on it and broadcast it's retro-ness or to maintain it as a minimalist blue. In classic Piscean fashion I have a firm opinion about either at different times of the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:51 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Your on Retrobike and thus you should broadcast its retroness, so bung on the stickers. Otherwise some folks will think its just a cheapo catalogue bike that the rotten transfers have peeled off of :roll:

Mind you as i do not restore my bikes, going for the scruffy but original look, my opinion is hardly valid :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:08 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

This afternoon I called in to see the machinists to check the progress on the very very special hubs I've designed. Still too heavy but I think we're moving in the right direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:20 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Bike hubs or car hubs, never sure what your working on Si ?

Based on your expensive tastes I cant help feeling your rust proofing business must involve coating stuff in gold. Can mere mortals afford your prices :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:02 pm 

Bike hubs Velo. And if they work I'm going to do a small pre- production run to hand out to test their reliabilty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:31 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Today I somehow managed to volunteer to do the weekly bike sales audit ( scurries off to find out what audit actually means :lol: )

Spent a lot of time twiddling my thumbs as I've already done everything that needs doing . Even tidied the warehouse :?

I did the first of my five wheels yesterday , fooked the lacing twice and using 3 different coloured nipples is hard work , probably shouldn't have had that smoke just before hand :lol: came out perfectly straight and I haven't put it near a stand yet .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 1525  Next