Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:06 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1005, 1006, 1007 ... 1526  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:42 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

kaiser wrote:
One of my favourite GT's 8) 8) Bitter sweet though, it was someone on here that stiffed me on a deal for the same frame and forks.

who ? me ?
if so it wasn't intentional

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:46 am 
MacModerator
MacModerator

mikee wrote:
kaiser wrote:
One of my favourite GT's 8) 8) Bitter sweet though, it was someone on here that stiffed me on a deal for the same frame and forks.

who ? me ?
if so it wasn't intentional

no no not you, it was a guy called Ransetsu(mike wood, aberdeenshire). I traded a wheel and a rim for the frame and forks and he never posted. C0*k end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:41 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Test rode a Breezer lightning pro at Evans in Edinburgh yesterday, they didn't have the 29er in stock though. Lovely bike, very stiff frame despite being skinny steel tubes, quite liked it but a bit stiff for me, don't know if it was down to the several injuries I'm currently sporting though.

today MiniKen cleaned my bike :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:51 am 

clockworkgazz wrote:
the stem and the saddle are cool the rest of the bike -not so much

:oops: I didnt want to say.It is somewhat nice though and i always applaud the work carried out.so well done for that mikee 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:01 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

I was quite proud of myself for a while.

Popped the wheels off the roadbike, stripped off the cassette, chucked it on the new ones all about 5 minutes. Felt a bit like a TDF mechanic. Then about 10 minutes into my ride gears started jumping and skipping like a bugger. Got off and to my surprise the cassette has gone loose. But the lockring is tight.

Got to where I was going after about 10 miles of single speed as I found a gear that worked. Turns out Mavic hubs need a spacer before the cassette no matter how many gears on the cassette. Which should be a Mavic one but I've got a couple of Shimano ones I'll try first. Failing that the posh roadbike shop in town sells Mavic wheels so might have some knocking around.

So much for being like a TDF mechanic. I think they might know that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:53 pm 

Tazio wrote:
I was quite proud of myself for a while.

Popped the wheels off the roadbike, stripped off the cassette, chucked it on the new ones all about 5 minutes. Felt a bit like a TDF mechanic. Then about 10 minutes into my ride gears started jumping and skipping like a bugger. Got off and to my surprise the cassette has gone loose. But the lockring is tight.

Got to where I was going after about 10 miles of single speed as I found a gear that worked. Turns out Mavic hubs need a spacer before the cassette no matter how many gears on the cassette. Which should be a Mavic one but I've got a couple of Shimano ones I'll try first. Failing that the posh roadbike shop in town sells Mavic wheels so might have some knocking around.

So much for being like a TDF mechanic. I think they might know that.

Try the bike station Taz, theyre bound to have what your after given Edinburgh seems to have more bikes than Amsterdam :lol:

Spent all day applying F/polish to my TV unit.Decided to completely break with conventional French polishing and added a red pigment to the shellac :shock:
Really cant make things easy for myself :roll:
If it comes off it might well look not too shabby :?

Also just bought a hope X2[5 mins ago] :oops: now have both callipers and one lever for the purple upgrade so just the last lever required.

Dave[TK] I like the look of that and its a not too bad price for effectively XT groupo.Really nice to see steel still available at all levels
What was the brake set up on it?
Well done MK.though i suspect theres a reason lurking under the surface :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:00 am 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Brakes on the 26 pro were Avid Elixir 5's - they worked - couldn't say much more than that - the team uses XT - if they had the 29er in stock in the 17 I think I would maybe go for it but the 26/18.5 was at my limit and the 29er is a bit longer. standover was a little high on the 26/18.5 too.

I still can't decide, I could build a 26 Transition TransAM with Revelations for about the same money as there are a few old stock frames floating about. Longer travel and slacker headset might reduce my chances of the over the bar issues I've had recently.

MK didn't have an agenda - I asked him to do his bike and it would be nice if he could do mine at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:28 am 
MacModerator
MacModerator

I take it two bikes aren't an option TK? A XC machine and a play bike when with the kids? BTW Salsa make some nice smaller 29ers, retro heritage and XC/adventurey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:53 am 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

2 bikes isn't an option, one will be frowned upon as it is :)

I was really just looking at good deals on whole bikes and really won't buy one with out riding it first (Transition gets away with it because I have test ridden one before)
This is mainly down to the hassle I had getting the roadie right for me.
An off the shelf complete bike is appealing at the moment too as I have a fair few restos to work on as it is.

If I go the frame route I would like to keep the cost low (TransAm is 250) Salsa aren't unreasonable but I'm not a fan of those gussets.

This does look nice though....
http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/rit ... 1691-p.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:57 am 
MacModerator
MacModerator

What about a Nimble 9 then? Fits between the Ritchey and the Trans Am? Cannae test ride though. As much as I'd love to say the Ritchey the Nimble 9 would take it. Have a look at the Nimble thread on MTBR.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1005, 1006, 1007 ... 1526  Next