* Dunkeld * Macretro Official Ride* Sat 30th Jan 2010

The Ken

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Sat 30th January 2010 - Meet 10 am for 10.30 departure.
* Dunkeld, Perthshire* Macretro Official Ride*

This is the first of the Retrobike official rides, following similar trails to lasts years stunning ride, final route to be decided by the weather.

Meet at 10 am in the walkers Carpark.

This should be a moderate ride mainly on landrover track - the ride can be adjusted to suit the weather or fading daylight on the day. road lights for the short final stint may be a good idea.

A provisional list of attendees... If people change their minds because of the road conditions let me know the day before.

The Ken
Zigzag
Kaiser
Velo
Gaz
JamieDyer
Mr Panda
RobMac
Boxxer
Messiah (maybe)
jimihendrix
DaveDownhill
Dyna-ti
Radoslaw
DaveG
tiggs121

For those interested a post ride bar meal at the Taybank can be arranged.
http://www.thetaybank.com/ just post your interest here.

main.php

Last years ride report is here if you want to see what a macretro ride is like: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50329

All are welcome but remember and wrap up as Scotland in January is even colder than our summer.

Like the look of this - used to go fishing on Butterstone moons ago :D

Will try to attend :xmas-cool:

Mr Panda":1js3qp34 said:
Like the look of this - used to go fishing on Butterstone moons ago :D

Will try to attend :xmas-cool:
My neighbour goes fishing up thataway too - he reckoned there were some good trails :D

So, singlespeedable, eh? Rockhopper hoooooo!

I'll need to get some babysitting sorted, but assuming I can get that done - room for one more east coaster if anyone needs a lift.

did it SS last year and it was very doable might be a need for studded tyres if it is as cold as it was that day.

Looks a great route, and I really enjoyed the report of last year's too.

I think the last time I rode on ice was when I bent the cranks of my Esquire in an unexpected sideways move, which upset me at the time, as the bike was my pride and joy.

Dunkeld is nice too, and I the last time I stopped there was en-route to Kirkwall from Edinburgh in 2004, riding retro all the way on my trusty 89 Tufftrax as ever. It was a sentimental journey that I had promised myself I would do when moved back to Orkney in 1999, having intended to symbolically cycle home at the time of the move.

The Tufftrax once more performed admirably, although between Aviemore and Inverness it was apparent that the lifespan of the original black anodised Araya rims was '15 years or less', as the side of the rear started to tear off. This necessitated a trip to a bike shop for a new wheel before progressing, and I still have the hub of the old one as I got the loan of side cutters and cut it from the old wheel. Why?!?? I will never use it again.

The last day was 95 miles at a satisfying average of about 17mph on 1.9" tyres and carrying a pair of panniers, admittedly with a strong back wind for more than half of the distance, as we strived to outrun the blackest of black clouds chasing us from the west.

Sorry, I digress! But I enjoy eulogising about my faithful bike, and feel like bursting into the famous words of Jon Bon Jovi, "I'm a warrior, on a steel horse I ride..." although he was probably on about an early Stumpy or Rockhopper.

If I could find a reason to be in Scotland I would love to be able to join you, and I probably could if it was not for the fact that I'll just be getting back from Up Helly Aa a couple of days before. Though if heavy drinking can indeed be viewed as carbohydrate bingeing for stored energy as I have long maintained, than I could be in good form.

I look forward to the report at least.

Cheers
Steven

Just to say the singletrack return between Ordie and the Glack is being turned into a motorway as we speak and the last section is a lorry wide mudbath now. hopefully they won't get too far up the trail by then but the plan is to widen it all the way to the loch...

Bagsy ZZ's offered lift as too far to Scoot in mid winter BRRRRRRR

Will try to have a bike other than the Hardrock ready, White Lightning looks extra lurid against a white background so quite possibly the one I'll choose :LOL:

Davedownhill":1g1209bo said:
Just to say the singletrack return between Ordie and the Glack is being turned into a motorway as we speak and the last section is a lorry wide mudbath now. hopefully they won't get too far up the trail by then but the plan is to widen it all the way to the loch...

Do you know if the trail at Drumbuie wood is ok?

If I can get a pass I'll be singlespeeding :twisted: modern

Back